RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 05:05:17 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 400 Print
Author Topic: A Completely Unrelated Series of Thoughts... Part 6  (Read 840135 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3225 on: February 18, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »

Why is it always the germans getting blamed? Those poor germans Cry

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3226 on: February 18, 2009, 03:20:38 PM »

I found out about a child tax credit for the tax year 2002/2003 a month ago. There is a six year deadline for credits. The 31st of January was the last chance to claim for it. I told mum and she sent off for it. She got a cheque yesterday for £529 child tax credit, plus some more for other taxes she was overcharged for. She's giving me the child tax credit and keeping the £75 of other money. Cheesy
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #3227 on: February 18, 2009, 04:58:53 PM »

O.O

Nice extra chunk of change there! Cheesy

Tell me about your variants...
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #3228 on: February 18, 2009, 05:02:15 PM »

Because of recent history.

Don't worry though, the feeling towards Germans will fade out drastically in the next 100 years. Smiley

I may be wrong, but what a population perceives as "modern" history goes back about 100 years. WWII is obviously considered modern history. So is WWI. Yet the Franco-German War of 1870 is considered textbook history at best.
Why is that? WWI took place (roughly) 100 years ago and the Franco-German War 130 years ago. Well, those 30 years make a huge difference.
There are still a lot of (older) people out there whose parents lived during WWI. Or people that remember their grandparents talking about what it was like. Thus it still "lives" within the population.
But try to find people who had parents/grandparents that lived during the Franco-German War and you'll be looking for a long time.

How strange as it may sound now, WWI will move from modern history to "textbook history" in the next 30-40 years. Because of the massive scale of the war it'll probably take a bit longer, so maybe 40-50 years would be more correct. But eventually it will. And along with it our negative feelings towards Germans.

The same will happen with WWII. But that won't be for atleast 60-70 years.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #3229 on: February 18, 2009, 05:12:10 PM »

Fuckin' Germans *returns to studying German*

Tell me about your variants...
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #3230 on: February 18, 2009, 05:17:50 PM »

Because of recent history.

Don't worry though, the feeling towards Germans will fade out drastically in the next 100 years. Smiley

I may be wrong, but what a population perceives as "modern" history goes back about 100 years. WWII is obviously considered modern history. So is WWI. Yet the Franco-German War of 1870 is considered textbook history at best.
Why is that? WWI took place (roughly) 100 years ago and the Franco-German War 130 years ago. Well, those 30 years make a huge difference.
There are still a lot of (older) people out there whose parents lived during WWI. Or people that remember their grandparents talking about what it was like. Thus it still "lives" within the population.
But try to find people who had parents/grandparents that lived during the Franco-German War and you'll be looking for a long time.

How strange as it may sound now, WWI will move from modern history to "textbook history" in the next 30-40 years. Because of the massive scale of the war it'll probably take a bit longer, so maybe 40-50 years would be more correct. But eventually it will. And along with it our negative feelings towards Germans.

The same will happen with WWII. But that won't be for atleast 60-70 years.
I think that over here, WWI is already "textbook history" and WWII isn't too far from following it. But that would make sense since very little of either war was fought on U.S. soil, it's bound to be forgotten more quickly here than it is over in Europe where the battles actually took place.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #3231 on: February 18, 2009, 05:23:31 PM »

I think that over here, WWI is already "textbook history" and WWII isn't too far from following it. But that would make sense since very little of either war was fought on U.S. soil, it's bound to be forgotten more quickly here than it is over in Europe where the battles actually took place.
I can imagine. A war just isn't the same when it isn't fought in your own backyard.

I'm not 100% sure, but the parents of my grandparents all lived through WWI and WWII. And all my grandparents (all 4 of them are still alive today) lived through WWII. My grandfather was 10-14 at the time and he still remembers how the Germans bombed the Town Hall where he lived back then and the shockwave destroyed all the windows nearby. The windows of their house were broken too, as well as their aquarium. He told me they quickly had to put the fish in buckets to save them. Tongue

But hey, you won't hear me complain. If the U.S. didn't came to save our ass (twice) we might as well be Nazis right now.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:28:40 PM by Sirgin » Logged
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3232 on: February 18, 2009, 05:33:45 PM »

I interviewed a WWII vet when i was in high school.
The video is in the library of congress.

Barracuda
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3233 on: February 18, 2009, 05:38:12 PM »

Anyone here do their own taxes?

BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #3234 on: February 18, 2009, 05:40:02 PM »

Anyone here do their own taxes?

Yes.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3235 on: February 18, 2009, 05:40:46 PM »

Us.

Barracuda
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3236 on: February 18, 2009, 06:00:21 PM »

Have you ever used taxslayer.com?

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #3237 on: February 18, 2009, 06:47:29 PM »

Anyone want a box of music CD inserts, I think their is close to 50 total. It's a mix of genres, artists include, but not limited to: Beyonce, Britney Spears, Ludacris, Eamon, Lost Prophets, Pink, LeToya, Enrique Iglesias, Lindsey Lohan, Keyshia Cole, Ja Rule, Incubus.
Just pay shipping and PayPal fees and they're all yours.

Alfador
Chat Whore
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3238 on: February 18, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »

Spice is NOT a color.

EDIT:  Haha look at my post count. 

EDIT EDIT:  I'm so immature..
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 08:57:22 PM by Alfador » Logged
logical123
Variant Addict