RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2024, 12:15:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | Aldous Huxley's Widow Died 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Aldous Huxley's Widow Died  (Read 2230 times)
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: December 18, 2007, 02:57:45 PM »

Let me first start by saying that for those of you horribly confused by this article, it is a spoof of George Orwell's 1984. 1984 was and still is a terrifying insight into where the world could head. It painted a rather bleak picture for the world, and I certainly hope that I am never subjected to the two minutes hate.

Similarly, Aldous Huxley published a similar book, Brave New World. His book was not quite as bleak as Orwell's, but it still was not a beautiful future. Sure, there was encouraged sex amongst the higher classes (for recreation, of course) and unending supplies of soma, but aside from that the world was a sad, caste like world. Of all the books I read in high school, Brave New World was my favorite book. A delectably good read.

I found it kind of interesting that Laura Huxley passed away. She fought to preserve her husband's books. She did a good job, forty years later I still had to read his book, and my brothers still have to read the books. So yeah, kudos to her. Brave New World indeed.

Hello World.
Mister Staypuft
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 03:05:20 PM »

meh, BNW always just felt to me like the weak tea version of the dystopia genre. An "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank" to 1984's "The Matrix," if you will.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:08:16 AM »

I liked Brave New World. I too had to read it in school. I read it again last year I believe.

Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 10:11:25 AM »

Instead of Brave New World my school required us to read Of mice and Men.  One day I'll read Brave New World.  Does playing Half-Life 2 count ?  8-)

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 08:08:53 PM »

BNW was an enjoyable read.

I've never read Of Mice and Men.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: