RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 08:16:14 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | sealed game discussion 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: sealed game discussion  (Read 9436 times)
SealedCollector
N-Gage

Stats
« on: November 16, 2007, 04:59:25 AM »

I know this is a bit of a taboo subject amongst the general gaming community, but it's news all the same, and may interest the small minority to whom it applies.

A new forum site has recently just been set up aimed at collector's who prefer to collect factory sealed video-games, called Sealed Game Heaven ( http://www.sealedgameheaven.com ), and has already so far been reported on by Kotaku.com; InsertCredit.com; And also BitParade

The forum features in-depth guides and discussions regarding sealed games from all regions, as well as useful information regarding what to look out for, as well as the differences between factory seals and reseals. It also has another section where members have posted pictures of their impressive sealed game collections for your viewing pleasure!

Even if you are not a fan of this unique collecting phenomenon, it may still fascinate you or even provide enlightenment!

So what do you think about this type of collecting games?
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 08:30:17 AM »

I do have several sealed games but only because I have another copy that's opened or I haven't got around to playing them yet. I collect them to play them. Sealed games hold no facination for me.

Fighter17
Donor

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 08:30:49 AM »

Stupid.

You play games to play them right? 
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 09:15:29 AM »

Stupid.

Some people are both collector and gamer.

However, at the last CGE, I saw Wizard666 open many factory sealed NES games. As he was doing it, it was like I could hear thousands of sealed fans cry out through the force.... (or something like that) Tongue

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 09:28:07 AM »

I hate to barge in like this, but I think this guy is just here to promote his own forum. But that's just my crazy self.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Fighter17
Donor

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 12:05:47 PM »

However, at the last CGE, I saw Wizard666 open many factory sealed NES games. As he was doing it, it was like I could hear thousands of sealed fans cry out through the force.... (or something like that) Tongue

I'm a collector/gamer too but I only buy rare games if it's worth my playing time.  Just keeping it sealed it's like saying "OMG SEALED, NEVER BEEN OPEN, AND THE GAME SUCK!  LOOK AT ME, I RULE!"

I don't know, but a game should be played, not sealed. 

It's like spending $5,000 on a sealed Video Life (it's a example, we know none exist) and saying I'll never open it because it's UBER RARE! 

To me that's $5,000 just having a item sitting there.   
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 12:30:59 PM »

Open all the sealed games you want, it just makes the values of the others rise to a higher price.  Otherwise why don't y'all go  buy a pirate multi-cart with a full NES rom dump or just sell your collection alltogether and stick with Virtual Console.  I find it hard to believe that anyone with a collection larger than 500 games has played every last one of them for any significant amount of time.  Equally if you deal with older games, some have aged so much that they aren't much fun to play anymore.  Don't believe me, check out some truly dated games at the Handheld Museum.

Sealed game collecting is just an extension of box collecting.  A lot of sealed games often came with labels on them maybe indicating a promotion or something, and I bet none of you have ever see some of those because most of our collections come through secondhand.  Some game variants are indistinguishable from the regular ones without having a sealed copy in hand, like the Dreamcast Dorikore Dream Collection.

I've seen the infamous French complete collection of Japanese Dreamcast games and can't help but admire the appearance of the titles.  All display the spine cards the same as the day they were still on store shelves.

@SealedCollector

Welcome to the RFGen community!

Feel free to post in our Welcome thread.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 12:34:43 PM by OatBob » Logged

it's thinking
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 01:04:55 PM »

Stupid.

Err... yes, I play games to play them. Tongue

I'm a collector/gamer too but I only buy rare games if it's worth my playing time.  Just keeping it sealed it's like saying "OMG SEALED, NEVER BEEN OPEN, AND THE GAME SUCK!  LOOK AT ME, I RULE!"

I don't know, but a game should be played, not sealed. 

It's like spending $5,000 on a sealed Video Life (it's a example, we know none exist) and saying I'll never open it because it's UBER RARE! 

To me that's $5,000 just having a item sitting there.   

There's no need to attack someone else's collecting styles. You have a collection of Japanese Mega Drive games. Why bother? It's not like anyone (sweeping generalisation) can understand what's going on in them. That's not necessarily how I feel about it but it's what could be said. Just let people collect what they want.
Tan
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 01:08:27 PM »

I find it hard to believe that anyone with a collection larger than 500 games has played every last one of them for any significant amount of time.

I suppose that could be true in some cases. Then again those of us who have gamed for 20-30 years have probably played double or triple what we actually own.

Unless it's a freebie or ridiculously cheap, I don't buy anything I won't play. I do however like buying sealed games as opposed to used ones and opening them. Think of it like a time capsule, or an indulgence into nostalgia to buy an older game and be able to open it like you just walked into a game store in 198X or 199X.

I also find that sometimes dealing with a serious collector who takes pride in their sealed games can be tricky. A seller of that type sometimes wants to know what you intend to do with said game, so you have to play along and placate them by telling them how you plan to "look at it fondly" on your shelf while it remains sealed. Once your out the door however, BAM wrapping comes off, prepare to game. Wink

So hats off to sealed collectors, when you get sick of looking at your rows and rows of untouchable media, people like me will be there wallet in hand to buy them from you, most likely for less than what you paid for them. It's comforting to know that inventories of un-used itmes will be there for purchase years after they were taken off the market. Ranks right up there with the sealed hardware I keep so I can play these games i've spent good money on for decades to come. Smiley
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 01:45:10 PM »

I've got a small handful of sealed games, and I look at them no different than any other games.  I only bought them because they were cheap, and I figured they'd make a decent investment.  If I found a sealed game that I actually wanted to play (and cheap), I'd probably sell it to a sealed game collector and then buy an opened copy.  I hardly have time to play games that I really enjoy, so most of my games go unplayed except during Winter and Summer breaks, so I could care less if it's a sealed game or unopened game sitting on the shelf.  At least the sealed ones have a higher resell value. 

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 05:17:29 PM »

The sealed games I have I just haven't gotten around to playing. For me, no game is off limits to being opened and played, though. Cool

Beardcore84
that TMNT guy
Donor

Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 05:38:55 PM »

i have 7 sealed items: Aladdin Deck Enhancer and the 6 games. Im debating whether to play them or not, seeing how all are availbe on other carts.

Running out of games to buy.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 06:25:25 PM »

When i buy games i don't bother to open them until i am actually going to play them.

I intentionally buy some games sealed to keep them that way for (possible)future value.
My collection to me is both an investment and something to have fun with.

SealedCollector
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 10:33:38 AM »

nice to read that here are some guys who really can understand the whole sealed collecting thing.

Would be nice to see your sealed games in our sealed collection areas on SGH !

best greetings
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 12:11:10 PM »

Oh shoot, I forgot, a complete sealed Milton Bradley Microvision (US) collection just went up on eBay.  All games plus the European exclusive version of Super Block Buster.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Milto...ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it's thinking
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length