RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 16, 2024, 04:36:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Hollywood Video to file for Bankruptcy 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hollywood Video to file for Bankruptcy  (Read 1960 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« on: November 06, 2007, 10:21:05 PM »

I don't know all the specifics on it but apparently i recieved a letter in the mail and my mother read it.

HollyWood Video is going to file for bankruptcy which means that Movie Gallery and Game Crazy will be in the same state. They are all under the same ownership.

I only hope that Game Crazy will not be closing its doors. I just resubscribed to my MVP card :-/

ganonbanned
Nintendo 64
United States
Awards: The RFG Kid

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 10:45:26 PM »

That's sad, one just went out about a month ago right around here.  They always had pretty cheap compared to some of the other places.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 10:53:34 PM »

The storefront movie rental business is a thing of the past. Netflix/Pirating/PPV have destroyed it. Stores can't keep enough titles in stock, generally charge more, and are less convenient. Blockbuster may stick around with their quick jump to competing with Netflix but ultimately I see no bright future for them either.

When shall his new form be revealed?
cyberfluxor
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 06:25:46 PM »

I can see most rental store chains dying but mom & pop stores will continue and appear over time. I do see many people buying from second hand stores and trading them back in for newer videos, only issue is selection and the lack of newer releases. This is in my opinion the "next rental store up the  road" idea. Also it's nifty because if you really liked the movie you can keep it without late fees.

Collecting CIB 5200 Atari and Sega Saturn games.
Check out my domain
I will purge your base for resources.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 09:30:47 PM »

I think the letter arrived at my house before the information was let out to general public...

Could i in a round about way sue the company for insider trading?

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 09:15:50 AM »

I buy a lot of used DVD's from Hollywood Video. I've never been a fan of Game Crazy though.

Pop Culture Portal
RFG Friend
United States
Awards: Tournament Winner

Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 09:21:48 AM »

Wow...there are tons of those around here, including about 4 Game Crazy stores.  If they all close, that'll leave a very small amount of Blockbusters and a huge amount of mom & pop places around here.  Alot of Blockbusters have been closing here.  I take advantage of Game Crazy's Classic Plastic sales on a weekly basis.  That'll suck if I can't do that anymore.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 12:41:58 PM »

I think the letter arrived at my house before the information was let out to general public...

Could i in a round about way sue the company for insider trading?

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

When shall his new form be revealed?
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 04:36:07 PM »

Aww, this sucks.  Sad  Game Crazy is my favorite of the big chain stores.  Oh well, if nothing else, maybe this means I'll be able to get some great going out of buisness deals.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 02:49:47 PM »

I never rent anything so it doesnt bother me at all. Like Den i buy used movies from them and I don't like Game Crazy. Around here all the used stuff seems beat to hell.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 06:44:59 PM »

I loved game crazy.(in Mass)

Best prices, the people working actually knew stuff, and there was a rather large selection compared to many other stores. Especially other chains.

Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 09:01:54 AM »

Don't forget...

Declaring bankrupcy doesn't mean they are going out of business or will be closing all their store and subsidaries.

Most of the time, companies declare bankrupcy to make another move (as long as they file under chapter 11 and not chapter 7).

Ken
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 09:05:13 AM by Mezmoron » Logged

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 10:16:37 AM »

Game Crazy out here are usually a bit more the EB and Game Stop it seems. Plus EB abd Game Stop have stuff in better condition.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 09:55:01 PM »

I know the manager at one of the GameCrazy stores in Corpus said that there were a bunch of stores closing.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 03:48:51 PM »

It's already starting here in Michigan. One of the HV stores I come across on the way home from work first closed its GameCrazy early this year. And just the other day I was driving by the store and it was all dark.

If the one near me closes, I'll probably find some "Mom and Pop" store to rent videos from...or check into NetFlix. I really don't like Blockbuster. Tongue

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length