RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 16, 2024, 11:32:58 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Dreamcast Repair 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dreamcast Repair  (Read 1634 times)
Beardcore84
that TMNT guy
Donor

Stats
« on: October 30, 2007, 07:09:50 PM »

I by chance was given a dreamcast by a local shop owner, because it does not work and he was sickm of having it around. I asked if I could have it and he said yes, which is cool cause its in its box with registration info etc.

Now the problem is the discs don't spin. Is it pretty easy to open this sucker up and fix that problem? Anyone had any experience with this? I went to segas website and it would cost $55 to have them fix it. Any info at all is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Running out of games to buy.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 07:56:17 PM »

Fire is the only medicine.

When shall his new form be revealed?
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 08:03:31 PM »

If the disc won't spin, you're out of luck.  The only option there is to replace the GD-ROM drive assembly, and since it was a proprietary format, nobody is allowed to manufacture replacements.  Some websites do sell refurbished drives for the sake of replacement, but they are pricey and cost the same as purchasing another used Dreamcast.

The GD-ROM drive in the Dreamcast is a fickle piece of hardware, and is faulty in just about every system.  In most cases, after sufficient use, the drive has a harder time reading the discs.  Follow the instructions here if you have this happens to you and it boots to the BIOS screen instead of into the game.  The fix is moderately easy.  You only need phillips drivers to open the box and get to what you need.  The actual fix itself is turning a tiny screw up to 90degrees to adjust the disc rotation speed.  After your initial adjustment, it is trial and error until it works, or you get frustrated.

To answer your question:
It is easy to open the Dreamcast.
Your problem (no disc spin) is not easily fixable.  Another Dreamcast could be had for cheaper ($20-30 for a used DC) than sending it out.
Disc read errors are a common problem with a moderately effective fix.

Come to think of it, it isn't a bad idea to have a spare either.  I've got three units in my possession, but I'm also sort of a Dreamcast freak.  I have performed the fix I mentioned multiple times on different units, and it worked every time for me.

Good luck!

and please don't dump the broken unit.  Its a beautiful and artful case.  I bet you can figure out something, like make a guitar and matching amp.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 08:23:44 PM by OatBob » Logged

it's thinking
Beardcore84
that TMNT guy
Donor

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 08:19:44 PM »

Thanks a lot! I'll try that when I get a chance later, hopefully it works! I'm not sure what the exact problem is yet, I just know the disc doesn't spin. Funny, he had the box and stuff but no AV cables. So I have to pick one up before I know for sure. Thanks again!

Running out of games to buy.
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 08:26:02 PM »

hehe, good luck again on finding AV cables too.  The RF ones are okay, but don't quite cut it.

it's thinking
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 03:46:19 AM »

OatBob is bang on the money here.
My original DC diead this way... it was quite impressive. Just browsing the web when all of a sudden the drive sounded like it was going to take off... then nothing.. just silence and the smell of smoke filled the room.

Back then I just got another DC, the replacement one is still alive... but that in it self is a miracle, as I handed it down to my little brothers, and they pretty much break anything.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length