RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2024, 02:24:44 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | They're great! So why were so few copies produced. 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: They're great! So why were so few copies produced.  (Read 2274 times)
shadowbound
N-Gage

Stats
« on: October 02, 2007, 04:41:40 PM »

When I go retro Sega hunting I come across so many copies of Sonic and Mega games One it drives me nuts but some of the best games such has OutRun, Gunstar Heroes and the Phantasy Star series are virtually impossible to find. I only ever see them on Ebay.  What's the reason for this? It seems like they hardly produce many copies of these games which is strange has they're some of the greatest games in history.

(On a happy note)
I got my copy of OutRun I bought on ebay in the post today. Yay  nod
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 04:43:43 PM by shadowbound » Logged

<a href="http://www.nintendo-europ...jsp?a=Shadowbound&m=b" target="_blank"> [/url]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 05:35:17 PM »

Early games maybe not as many made. I am sure Sonic was reprinted many many times. Over here the three game you mention are not rare. Gunstar Heroes and Phantasy Star people want to they cost a little.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 06:00:34 PM »

I've been trying to get a copy of Master of Monsters for the Genesis for awhile and got into an auction for an UNOPENED copy of it. My max bid on it was, belive it or not, over $68 plus $6 shipping. It sold for over $82!

Some of the games are definitely harder to get than others...even with ebay. Tongue

Tan
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 06:52:49 PM »

As Tynstar said they are also games people want, that means people tend to hold onto them rather than sell them.

Xbox games are the same way, there aren't any really rare games because Microsoft imposed a minimum print run on each title but try to find a copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 or Baldur's gate II for a decent price. Tongue

I didn't realize Master of Monsters was such an expensive sought after title Shocked
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 07:48:53 PM »

It isn't worth that much. But sealed collectors are strange.

shadowbound
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 09:09:06 PM »

As Tynstar said they are also games people want, that means people tend to hold onto them rather than sell them.

Xbox games are the same way, there aren't any really rare games because Microsoft imposed a minimum print run on each title but try to find a copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 or Baldur's gate II for a decent price. Tongue

I didn't realize Master of Monsters was such an expensive sought after title Shocked

Isn't Baldur's gate II a PC game?  I have it somewhere

<a href="http://www.nintendo-europ...jsp?a=Shadowbound&m=b" target="_blank"> [/url]
Tan
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 09:30:14 PM »

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance I and II are on the Xbox and PS2, BGDA1 is on the gamecube. Wink
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 10:41:42 PM »

I know I'm hanging on to my copy of BG:DA2 for the Xbox. I'm still pissed at myself for trading in Marvel vs. Capcom 2...at the time I had no idea about video game rarity. At least as a consolation I was able to find Disgaea: Hour of Darkness at a flea market for $10. Cool

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 11:59:26 PM »

When I go retro Sega hunting I come across so many copies of Sonic and Mega games One it drives me nuts but some of the best games such has OutRun, Gunstar Heroes and the Phantasy Star series are virtually impossible to find. I only ever see them on Ebay.  What's the reason for this? It seems like they hardly produce many copies of these games which is strange has they're some of the greatest games in history.

(On a happy note)
I got my copy of OutRun I bought on ebay in the post today. Yay  nod
Probably because they didn't have much market appeal in the day.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
shadowbound
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 12:59:18 PM »

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance I and II are on the Xbox and PS2, BGDA1 is on the gamecube. Wink

I have Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance for Gamecube. The buggers forgot to give us BG:DA2. :mad:

Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 08:25:42 AM »

my Megadrive Outrun is Japanese and cost i think 50p compleat, but really its the same with all games on all systems anything a bit strange or diffrent dosent seem to sell so its harder to find in the first place and thus more sought after later.

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 09:59:23 AM »

I know I'm hanging on to my copy of BG:DA2 for the Xbox. I'm still pissed at myself for trading in Marvel vs. Capcom 2...at the time I had no idea about video game rarity. At least as a consolation I was able to find Disgaea: Hour of Darkness at a flea market for $10. Cool
I bet the assholes at GameStop gave you $20 or so for MvC2, then turned around and sold it for $70 or $80.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 10:45:57 AM »

Didn't trade it to GS/EB, I actually traded it to GameCrazy. At the time the price of the game was falling to under $29.99 levels and still got over $20 for it.

Then about 6 months later, it all of a sudden becomes a ridiculously hard game to get... Tongue

shadowbound
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 11:16:12 AM »

I got the Pal version of Lego StarWars 2 for the Gamecube which is rare because it was only produced for Game and then Game stop selling Gamecube games. I have no idea if it's worth anything.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length