RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2024, 05:16:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Firefox Vs. I.E. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Firefox Vs. I.E.  (Read 7573 times)
Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2004, 07:33:02 PM »

Arrr's right.  The only sites I've had problems with Firefox are websites I have problems with IE anyway.  I haven't used IE in a long long time (except after the SP2 update as I was curious).  IE just seems sloppy (and buggy, and full of security holes).  Firefox has never crashed on me like IE did, it's as fast as or faster on pretty much every page I compared the two.  I find it easier to setup, and awesome to customize thanks to the extensions.  The themes are pretty damn cool too.  I still haven't been able to find one advantage to IE.

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
danvx6
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2004, 07:50:35 PM »

Nep is on the left, Firefox is on the right:

:beating:

[img width=450 height=150]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/Danvx6sigORANGE.jpg[/img]
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2004, 08:22:36 PM »

Arrr's right.  The only sites I've had problems with Firefox are websites I have problems with IE anyway.

Obviously our experiences differ.  That doesn't make me wrong.  Firefox does NOT display many of the sites I frequent properly.  IE does.  That's the bottom line.  You can say it's the coders' fault or whatever you want.  If I was using Netscape 1.0 and none of the sites I went to worked would you tell me that the coders are all doing it wrong?  Of course not.  You'd just tell me to get a new browser that shows the sites properly.  IE has better compatibility than Firefox.  That's pretty much a fact.

IE just seems sloppy (and buggy, and full of security holes).  Firefox has never crashed on me like IE did, it's as fast as or faster on pretty much every page I compared the two.

If you haven't used IE in forever, how can you really make a comparisson?  Yesterday, Firefox not only crashed itself, but it crashed my computer.  The newest version of IE and the newest version of Firefox (which I have been using side-by-side for days) are about the same in terms of speed.  Some load faster in Firefox, others load faster in IE.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 08:35:37 PM by admin » Logged

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2004, 12:03:26 PM »

I think this says something about the difference between the two browsers as well.  Both are displaying the same page in idle mode.  The change when a new page is loaded in either is negligible.

* firefox.JPG (56.02 KB, 408x457 - viewed 152 times.)

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2004, 12:55:30 PM »

The difference between ie and firefox is 5 mb on my computer. I guess that's the price you pay for speed and comfort.
Besides, I've got a gig of memory, If the difference were a 100 mb, I'd still use firefox.
Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2004, 02:26:29 PM »

Don't forget IE is an integrated part of the Windows file system.  Add up the memory used by Explorer.exe and iexplore.exe to get a closer figure.

The crashing I was talking about happened when I used IE again after the SP2 upgrade.  That was after maybe 20 minutes of usage.  To be honest, I don't even know if Firefox has ever crashed on me.  If it does, it's so infrequent that I can't recall any specific time - yet it's a browser I have running more than 8 hours a day.

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2004, 02:27:30 PM »

My Fire Fox is only using between 14 K and 25 K

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length