RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2024, 05:30:14 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Firefox Vs. I.E. 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Firefox Vs. I.E.  (Read 7579 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« on: September 30, 2004, 01:08:23 PM »

I was told to switch from IE to Firefox by a few people over the last few months so i thought i would ask for a comparison of the 2.
Pros and Cons of each.
I was told firefox is more secure so thats a plus right there. If i was mislead tell me. If you use it let me know what you like.
I dont need to much info on Internet Explorer obviously because i have been using it for quite some time.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 03:17:34 PM »

I was told to switch and I tried it.  I thought it was clumsy and miserable to use.  I absolutely hated the file download interface, and the fact that I had to go and install 9000 plugins for it to get it to work like I already had IE set up kind of irritated me.  Oh, and it doesn't display this site properly.  Sure, there are lots of plugins, but for the most part, I don't care.  I want my web browser to be pretty simple; I don't need it to bake a cake for me and have a toolbar for everything you can possibly imagine.  For me, there was no reason to keep using it, and a lot of reasons to go back to IE.

EDIT: The tabbed browsing was really cool, but not cool enough to outweigh the other things I disliked.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 03:18:20 PM by admin » Logged

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 04:22:10 PM »

I absolutely hated the file download interface, and the fact that I had to go and install 9000 plugins for it to get it to work like I already had IE set up kind of irritated me.  Oh, and it doesn't display this site properly.

Firefox is out just for those reasons. Mostly the fact that it doesnt run the site the right way.
But i hate having to use space up for something i normally dont need (plugins).
Thanks for the info.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 04:02:31 AM »

Since Mike tried Firefox, it has been improved a bit, and he's overreacting.

Firefox pretty much handles the same as IE. You can put the buttons at the same places to make it look very alike. The download system is indeed rather annoying; you can't open something in firefox if you chose to download it to your hard disc. You'd have to open explorer for that.
You don't need 9000 plugins though, in fact, you don't need any. I'm not using any at the moment, and I have all the functionality of IE. And plugins are great if you want to have specific things added to your browser. Virtually everything you want is possible with plugins. Nothing that's not already programmed into it is possible with IE.
Another thing is that Firefox is safer. People don't write backdoors, trojans, spyware etc. etc. for firefox. Just think of how often you read about a safety leak in IE and how often you read about one in Firefox.
Surfing with tabs is great. At first it took some effort to get used to it, but now I love it and couldn't go without it. Not having to juggle through all sorts of items on the toolbar makes surfing very comfortable and neat.
IE is many years old, and has hardly changed. Firefox is constantly changing and improving. I have used it since 0.7 and now it's 1.0 and every new release had worthwile changes.
The only problem is that not all sites are compatible. Especially sites with all sorts of lame interactive stuff, like dropping menu's or activex elements.
Of course this doesn't have to be a problem, because if you come across any of these sites, you can just load up IE. You can't uninstall the fucker anyway.
Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 09:03:08 PM »

I agree with Arrr.  I only use Firefox.  Even on this site (what doesn't work properly?  I've never tried IE on this site.)

I actually love the download interface of Firefox, but I did miss the option of being able to open what it was I downloaded - so I installed the plugin that let me do that.  I also have a bookmark synchronizer, weather, and Gmail plugin that I use religiously.

I've found Firefox to be vastly superior to IE - not only is it safer, it's actually faster.  Especially with Java content (really a Mozilla benefit anyway).  

The only downside I've found with Firefox is it doesn't know what to do with .wmv files - it tries to view it as a file, instead of launching it in Media Player.

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 09:15:11 PM »

I lied - they fixed the .wmv problem in the new version.  Turns out there are no faults to Firefox Smiley

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 09:26:55 PM »

Wll i willl check into getting it on here when i have some time next weekend.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 10:01:47 PM »

The only downside I've found with Firefox is it doesn't know what to do with .wmv files - it tries to view it as a file, instead of launching it in Media Player.

OD

This is what I was referring to with the plugins.  I found that to play almost any kind of media file, I had to reinstall something - Flash, Quicktime, Shockwave, etc., etc.  The download thing was what drove me nuts the most.  Most of the other features, such as the supposed speed increases, were not noticeable to me at all.  I'm used to IE and don't really need it to change.  It does what I need it to, and that's the bottom line.  Mac has a few nice features that Windows doesn't, but does that mean I'm going to switch?  No, and the same goes for Firefox.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 11:18:40 PM »

When you use IE for the first time, you have to install flash, quicktime and shockwave too.  
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 04:10:33 AM »

Arr is right here. With IE i still had to install quictime, shockwave and flash. If i really thought about it i am sure i did other stuff not to mention the number of updates from MS. I have somewhere around 15 of them.
I will give Firefox a shot, maybe i will completely stop using IE at my house.

thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 07:33:24 AM »

I use  Firefox 95% of the time., the tabbed browsing, and enhanced bookmark facilities, win the day for me.

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 08:05:50 AM »

Will it work right with RF is one of my biggest questions next to security, which sounds much better with FireFox.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 08:09:05 AM »

When you use IE for the first time, you have to install flash, quicktime and shockwave too.  

Yes, but I've already done that.  I don't want to have to do it again if I already have a program that will do it for me just fine.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 09:32:23 AM »

Will it work right with RF is one of my biggest questions next to security, which sounds much better with FireFox.

It works perfectly fine with rf generation.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 11:17:40 AM »

Then Firefox it is.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length