RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2024, 11:17:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Wahts a UPC? 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wahts a UPC?  (Read 2524 times)
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« on: May 19, 2007, 01:21:37 PM »

Title says it all really!!

been trying to fill in a few details on the site lately and after the last big update i see you added a field called UPC, is this the number below the bar code? or am i totally wrong?
if it is or it isn't this number what significance does this have to the listing?

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 02:00:44 PM »

Yes, UPC is the number below the barcode. Technically the barcode is also the UPC, since the barcode is an encoded version of that number. Do remember though that there may be two small numbers on the left and right bottom corners of the barcode, those are also part of the UPC.

Hello World.
Tan
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 02:01:39 PM »

You can actually Google the UPC code as well for product information. It also acts as a way to determine region, as sub-regions can have different UPC's for localized packaging.
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 03:48:07 PM »

if it is or it isn't this number what significance does this have to the listing?

Universal Product Code

The reason it's important IMO is for Japanese games. I know over the years I couldn't find information for a game if I didn't have a part number or UPC. For the rest, it's not that important I guess.

Slowly building an ammo fort.
Belgarath
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 03:58:37 PM »

UPC is mainly American though, Europe have EAN's and I think RFG should be updated to reflect this.
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 04:26:50 PM »

It should be easy enough to put UPC/EAN or however they want to do it.

Slowly building an ammo fort.
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 04:29:28 PM »

Universal Product Code

The reason it's important IMO is for Japanese games. I know over the years I couldn't find information for a game if I didn't have a part number or UPC. For the rest, it's not that important I guess.
When it comes to Japanese games I've rarely had luck finding anything from the UPC.  The parts # tends to help out a great deal on the other hand.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 04:33:28 PM »

The field was originally called barcode, since as someone who worked in retail I am aware of multiple retail barcodes. It was changed to UPC when a European Staff Member who shall remain nameless stated that Europe also used UPCs. That having been said, if you want to submit EANs (and JANs) go right ahead, when that field is expounded upon I'll likely check the length of the value to determine the barcode type.

Hello World.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 06:36:50 PM »

Match up the last four digits of the upc on the package to the upc on the tag of the shelf.

Now you are officially trained as a Kroger non-foods employee.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 05:14:49 AM »

Thanks now i know what it is i'll fill the field in!

Have tryd a few codes in google and got some results and i thought it was only shops that used stuff like that! Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length