RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 02:21:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Submit Info Suggestion 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Submit Info Suggestion  (Read 2147 times)
Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« on: May 10, 2007, 05:15:00 PM »

As I am trying to upload new systems/hardware to the database, it is required to select a console 'classification' to do so.  I have been using 'Multiple Consoles' to add new systems that should be listed on their own as a new console (i.e. FM Towns Marty).  It would be nice to have this option - "New Console Addition" - since there are a great many consoles, not variations, but video game consoles that require their own categorization. 

I ask that the editors of this site not take my suggestion as a complaint at all - just a suggestion.  I think the DB app is extremely helpful and useful.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 05:43:33 PM by marriott_guy » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 06:22:34 PM »

So you need consoles added to teh drop down list so you can add hardware and games?

Tan
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 06:59:41 PM »

The reasoning (to my understanding) that it is that it's more complicated than that. Each system or subsection of the database has it's own specific console ID so each section can be implemented into the submission scripts and search functions.

If you've got a system that needs it's own secton just PM one of the admins or post it here. Try to make sure that you account for any variations and re-branding in the title. For example: FM Towns/Marty/Marty 2 because all three versions of the FM Towns will be in the same section and have the same games for the most part. Also try to list the regions that need to be enabled for the database as well, in this case being Japan. Also if your unsure just ask, some systems may not be significant enough to warrant their own section but in this case the FM Towns certainly is.

Always feel welcome to voice your ideas and suggestions as well. This site is built and maintained by both it's members as well as staff and both are instrumental in it's growth.

Smiley
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 07:07:50 PM by Tan » Logged
Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 09:23:26 PM »

So you need consoles added to teh drop down list so you can add hardware and games?

Yes

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 09:32:18 PM »

The reasoning (to my understanding) that it is that it's more complicated than that. Each system or subsection of the database has it's own specific console ID so each section can be implemented into the submission scripts and search functions.

If you've got a system that needs it's own secton just PM one of the admins or post it here. Try to make sure that you account for any variations and re-branding in the title. For example: FM Towns/Marty/Marty 2 because all three versions of the FM Towns will be in the same section and have the same games for the most part. Also try to list the regions that need to be enabled for the database as well, in this case being Japan. Also if your unsure just ask, some systems may not be significant enough to warrant their own section but in this case the FM Towns certainly is.

Always feel welcome to voice your ideas and suggestions as well. This site is built and maintained by both it's members as well as staff and both are instrumental in it's growth.

Smiley

Thanks Tan for how to add the new consoles/variations - defintely what I was looking fo (how to add new systems).

Tyn\Tan - thanks for the your assistance in my new additions.

Terry
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:33:52 PM by marriott_guy » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 11:15:20 PM »

I will add them as soon as I can but it might not happen to early next week. Please post here what consoles you need added and what region/regions they are for.

Thanks

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 04:38:44 AM »

Hello Tyn.

Can you please add the following video game console to the dropdown list:

Year : 1983
Console : Gakken Compact Vision
Alt Name : Gakken TV-Boy
Developer : Gakken
Publisher : Gakken
Region: Japan

I can update the console once added with the specs/details of the system and catridge information.
Thanks!

Terry

Tan
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 01:36:27 PM »

Unfortunately you can't simply move an entry from one section to another, a new section and entry has to be made. Then the old one deleted and then the page credts changed along with re-writting the info again. On top of that all the collectors lists for members who own said item need to be changed to reflect the new location. Hardware/Software entries use the scripts, but the sections for the drop-down lists require mucking about in the database itself.

Adding a new section takes a bit of research and that's my end of it. Doing the database management, assigning a new console ID making a new section and making changes is Tynstar's area.

We keep a running "to do" list elsewhere on this site for us to reference, and when we finish we can just PM you the details and where to find them so you can add info. So if a system needs it's own section just PM me with the name and region of it and we'll look into it asap.  Wink

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 04:43:39 PM »

I understand Tan - thanks for the clarification.  I'll shoot you an email with the details of the new systems (year/developer/tech specs/etc. - pics if you need them).  The pending submissions all deal with moving the systems that I previously entered in the 'Multiple Consoles' section (to get them in the system) and it is OK to delete them on your end.

I have written a few standalone DB apps so I am aware of the domino-effect on data/field changes for existing records, as well as populating the existing dropdowns that are provided for each new section/table - not an easy undertaking I know first hand. 

Send me a PM with the field placement/order/data format that you are using and I'll submit the information to you appropriately in a standard CSV format for easy import to your existing DB(s).

Also, I did want to say this publicly, I do appreciate the time you/Tyn and your team spend on this site.  I do realize that this is provided for free, even though there are associated costs involved with hosting/running it - this is greatly appreciated.  Take your time in my requests.  If there is anything I can do to assist, please let me know.

Thanks again Tan.

Terry

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length