RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 06:15:27 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | PCE-CD Japanese Game Database is messed up 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: PCE-CD Japanese Game Database is messed up  (Read 8048 times)
TurboGrafxer AKA DCer
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:12:17 PM »

a lot of the games listed under NEC PC Engine CD, region Japan are for the japanese turbo duo. three examples are all 3 of the wizardry games. i'll go through it a little more thoroughly and find all of the duo games.

You're my hero. Vanilla Ice RULES! I can't believe that there is another SERIOUS Vanilla Ice fan on this site. The special edition DVD should be called "Cool As Ice: Drop That Zero Edition".
AndyC
RFG Friend
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 03:20:17 AM »

Cheers Mike. If you list what needs sorting out Scott will tidy the database accordingly.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 03:43:33 PM »

Cheers Mike. If you list what needs sorting out Scott will tidy the database accordingly.

I sure will!

Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 11:33:11 PM »

a lot of the games listed under NEC PC Engine CD, region Japan are for the japanese turbo duo. three examples are all 3 of the wizardry games. i'll go through it a little more thoroughly and find all of the duo games.

Everything Japanese looks to be messed up these days.  It's a headache definitly.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 12:16:36 AM »

Fuyukaze I sent you a PM.

ganonbanned
Nintendo 64
United States
Awards: The RFG Kid

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 05:46:44 PM »

good thing I dont collect japanese games
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 10:49:50 PM »

Your missing out on some great games.  So many nice games that never make it here.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
Fighter17
Donor

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 08:11:40 PM »

Your missing out on some great games.  So many nice games that never make it here.

And don't forget the box art.

Speaking of database, I need to scan those NGCD games I have lying around.  Wink
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 08:42:23 PM »

I started working on this today. It is going to take a little bit of time since I have to remove some of the games some from people collections. The enter them into PCE Duo then add them back into peoples collections.

TurboGrafxer AKA DCer
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 09:01:59 PM »

im still working on things. i know its gonna take a lot of time since there were far more releases for the pc engine/etc. then the tg-16/etc. just give me some time and it will be done.

You're my hero. Vanilla Ice RULES! I can't believe that there is another SERIOUS Vanilla Ice fan on this site. The special edition DVD should be called "Cool As Ice: Drop That Zero Edition".
Fighter17
Donor

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 09:21:40 PM »

im still working on things. i know its gonna take a lot of time since there were far more releases for the pc engine/etc. then the tg-16/etc. just give me some time and it will be done.

That's good to hear.

(Continues scaning NGCD games).
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 04:16:26 PM »

I'd rather you realy up the ante and try for a perfect Japanese official PS1 collection.  Now that's a true devil's task there.  I actualy believe that would be an imposible task.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 05:44:23 PM by Fuyukaze » Logged

blissfulnoise
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 10:37:59 AM »

Since I was the one that submitted a chunk of the existing Japanese games in the PC-Engine / Duo databases I feel I should chime in.

First, it's kind of a bad system the way it's set up.  Technically, there is no "Duo" category.  PC Engine Duo / Turbo Duo are just product names for the consolidated hardware and are not required to play any CD-ROM content.  Let me requote myself from an earlier post clearing up the PC Engine nonsense:

The original release was the TurboGraphx-16/PC Engine.  It played HuCards only.  Eventually the PC Engine/TurboGraphx-16 CD-ROM2 and the PC Engine Super CD-ROM2 (this didn't see a release stateside) were released as add-ons for it.  They played CD-ROM games and Super CD-ROM games respectively.

To play Super CD-ROM2 games, you'd need a Super System Card.  This would go in the HuCard slot.  The TurboDuo and the PC Engine Duo had this built in.

In order to play Arcade CD-ROM2 games, you needed an Arcade Card.  They were still PC Engine CD games though, not a new system.  This was not built into the Duo systems thus Duos still needed the Arcade Card to play them.

The TurboDuo/PC Engine Duo didn't allow you to play any new/exclusive games, but just put everything into one nice compact package (short of the Arcade Card).  Thus, it's not really its own system.

In short, all TG16/PCE games can fall under two categories for the sake of ultimate clarity.  PC Engine HuCards and PC Engine CD-ROMs.  If you wanted to get more technical, you could break it down to HuCards, CD-ROMs, Super CD-ROMs, and Arcade CD-ROMs.

The games that were marked Duo on the packaging stateside were done because they were Super CD-ROM2 games and were unplayable on the regular TG-16 CD consoles, thus making consumers purchase a Duo to play them.  The alternative was to buy a PC Engine with a Super CD-ROM2 drive with a System Card.

Is it no wonder it wasn't a success in the states?

The SuperGraphx, however, is its own console.  No equivalent came out in the US.  It still utilized the HuCard media, and was backwards compatible with PC Engine HuCards, but it had only 7 unique games made for it that are only playable on a SuperGraphx.  It also supported the PC Engine Super CD-ROM2 as an add-on.  Think of it as the next iteration of the PC-Engine that just didn't take off.

Also, the spelling of the systems in my post should be the correct ones.  Also, PC Engine CD-ROM2 would be pronounced "CD-ROM-ROM", and not "CD-ROM Two"

Thus this was a lesser of two evils thing.  Again, there are NO games that can ONLY be played be played played on Duo hardware.  With a PC Engine CD-ROM2 and an Arcade Card or Super System Card you can play any game that was released.

If we really wanted to clean it up and get technical, you'd have a Hu-Card table, a CD-ROM table, a Super CD-ROM table, and an Arcade CD-ROM table.  At no point would a "Duo" table be neccessary since there is no "Duo" format for the PC Engine.  But, as is, I think that a Hu-Card table and a CD-ROM table would get the job done.

If I'm incorrect on any of my details, please feel free to correct me.

"Be proud of what we make you do.", Master Shake, SGC2C: Baffler Meal
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 12:10:18 PM »

If we really wanted to clean it up and get technical, you'd have a Hu-Card table, a CD-ROM table, a Super CD-ROM table, and an Arcade CD-ROM table.  At no point would a "Duo" table be neccessary since there is no "Duo" format for the PC Engine.  But, as is, I think that a Hu-Card table and a CD-ROM table would get the job done.

I think your last sentence makes the most sense as far as ease of use. The cd-rom, super cd-rom and arcade cd-rom should/could go under media format.

Slowly building an ammo fort.
TurboGrafxer AKA DCer
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 04:15:07 PM »

i agree with you that the super cd-rom2 is different then the duo. but to list them under the same title of turbo duo makes sense to me. here is my reason. the super cd-rom2 is an equalivient to a turboduo game in my book. either way you need a super system card unless you have a duo then its built in. its like famicom/nes, same system different regional name. am i on the right track here with what your saying.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length