RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 03, 2024, 10:22:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Possible to add some search options? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Possible to add some search options?  (Read 1365 times)
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« on: March 11, 2007, 01:01:55 PM »

Since I'm just about ready to add my JPN Saturn and PS2 games, I think the following additions could be helpful to others (as well as myself).

Part #
UPC #

I looked, but it seems those aren't options ATM. I know with so many games that are hard to find a translation for, it'd really help with these IMO. The fact is you'll find multiple translations for games and it'd eliminate multiple additions (as I already did once :embarassed:).

- edit

What about the original title? I think a spot for the Japanese title (text) is good too. I guess this can go under the alternate title spot, right?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 03:14:07 PM by Funk_Buddy » Logged

Slowly building an ammo fort.
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 03:29:24 PM »

The Original Title needs to be the actual title, in the case of the Japanese entries that would be the romanized title. The Alternate Title is generally for a translated title.

Unfortunately, the current database is not in UTF-8, so Japanese characters are unsupported. In the future that may change, but I would not be able to test that feature as I don't have the Japanese Char Set installed. If and when it does get added though, there will likely be a separate field for Katakana and Kanji Titles.

We are working on guidelines to make the submission process more straightforward and give some meaning to the fields, hopefully a general set can be released soon, followed by section specific guidelines at a later date.

I've added the ability to search by UPC and Part Number on the submission search, and I believe Eddie will be adding that functionality to the advanced search at some point in the near future. It is our exam week though, and Eddie has an extreme number of projects due this week. Apparently his professors hate him.

Hello World.
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 05:05:18 PM »

Yes they do.  I'll have in in there by the end of the week, though.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 08:26:49 AM »

If and when it does get added though, there will likely be a separate field for Katakana and Kanji Titles.

I don't know if that's that important to honest. People like me that don't read Japanese will not know the difference. I think if it makes it easier sure, but other wise, one field would/should do.

Also, thanks for the fast replys and good luck with the exams!

St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 08:22:02 PM »

OK, UPC and part number are both searchable on the search and collection pages.  I've bunched them all into the ID# field on the search pages.  You can enter an RFG ID#, UPC, or part number in that field and all should give you the correct game as a result.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 10:32:30 AM »

Good deal, thanks for the addition.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length