RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 06:24:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | The White Death Approacheth 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: The White Death Approacheth  (Read 11073 times)
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: February 06, 2007, 12:45:33 PM »

Cincinnati overreacts to snow. For a city that is north of the Mason-Dixon line (just barely), we certainly act as though we are located in the Deep South in regards to dealing with snow. Perhaps it is because the metropolis straddles the Mason-Dixon line, but if there is even a threat of snow, people freak out. There was one instance in 2004 that was especially terrible, where it took 2 and a half hours to make it the 12 miles to my house, thanks to a nice little snow storm that happened to hit at rush hour. It would have been worse had I had to travel south on the major thoroughfare through the city (I-75), driving on that road would have taken 5-6 hours to commute anywhere of importance. Today they are predicting a clipper snow of DEATH to hit the city fairly soon, and the city certainly has their panties in a wad. Certainly I am anticipating when I leave school in 2  and a half hours that it will be the commute home from hell. I can't wait.

So, what are your white death horror stories? Ever get stuck in the commute from hell? Perhaps you were snowed in? How does your city react to snow? (Clearly, some cities don't get snow, we're aware of that, no need to tell us) One thing is for certain though, the commute for the Black Perl and I will certainly suck this afternoon. THE WHITE DEATH APPROACHETH!

Hello World.
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 01:02:54 PM »

^It's the hills. 

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 01:52:20 PM »

It's weird around here, some people will drive 30 mph under the speed limit if there is a little bit of snow and others just seem to not notice if there is 2 feet of snow on the road.  Basically, they are just idiots. 
I did stuck i my driveway twice this year.  My damn 1 wheel drive S-10 with tires that have barely any tread.  New tires as too damn expensive. 

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 02:13:54 PM »

At the end of fall quarter after an ungodly early finals exam we got like that half inch to an inch of snow and the world went insane. The highways were a mess and I literally SAW three accidents happen as I took the backroads home.

But I always suggest the backroads unless there's so much snow that aforementioned roads are completely covered.

I'm just glad I don't have to go out today, although I should get some gas...if I had woken up before two maybe I could have done so.

When shall his new form be revealed?
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 02:32:25 PM »

I saw some snow once. It melted by mid day.
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 03:43:29 PM »

You wanna see people overreact to snow you should see people in the Portland/Vancouver area.  They see one snow flake and everything comes to a screeching halt.

JWKobayashi
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 05:46:15 PM »

Last January (2006) I took my wife to Chicago for the day for her birthday.  We went to the heart of downtown, which is normally about a 75 - 90 minute drive from our house.  Everything on the way in was just fine.

Unfortunately, it started snowing like a bitch on the way home.  It took us over 4 hours to get home on I-90.   We couldn't see very far in front of the car.

All in all, I hate snow.

[img width=350 height=19]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/JLateralus.gif[/img]
AndyC
RFG Friend
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 07:30:55 AM »

It's supposed to snow in England on Thursday, I can hardly wait for the three snow flakes.

You guys should be greatful for the snow. It's always f'ing freezing over here but never snows properly and when it does it usually goes by the time you've finished work.
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 11:39:38 AM »

I used to live in Illinois where they were somewhat reasonable about snow.  Especially in the country, where they would close school more often because of drifing snow.  Alas, I'm somehow stuck here in Minnesota where they might consider a 2-hour delay in the event of two feet of snow.  What really sucks is that the jet stream started moved south as I moved north so the past five years, they've been getting more snow (and some nasty ice storms) than we have up here.

it's thinking
Ando
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 11:55:34 AM »

It's supposed to snow in England on Thursday, I can hardly wait for the three snow flakes.

You guys should be greatful for the snow. It's always f'ing freezing over here but never snows properly and when it does it usually goes by the time you've finished work.
QFT

What's worse is when we're travelling between states. Never fails: we get to one state, only to immediately get a call from the other saying "It's snowing here! Actual, real SNOW!!" Argh.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 12:33:03 PM »

It's -0.8C here. Maybe we will get some snow down south. We got some a couple of weeks ago.
JWKobayashi
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 05:36:48 PM »

I'd gladly trade our snow for just being cold.  In the past two weeks here, the temp has been hovering around -5 F, with wind chills around -25 F. That, and we got 6 inches of snow yesterday.

Snow is no fun to shovel, no fun to drive in, and no fun to be outside in. It looks nice for the first day or two, and then turns into a gray mess.

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 06:20:42 PM »

I'd gladly trade our snow for just being cold.  In the past two weeks here, the temp has been hovering around -5 F, with wind chills around -25 F. That, and we got 6 inches of snow yesterday.

Snow is no fun to shovel, no fun to drive in, and no fun to be outside in. It looks nice for the first day or two, and then turns into a gray mess.
I disagree with the "no fun to drive in" part.  You just need a pick-up truck and an empty parking lot.  Now that is damn fun. 

JWKobayashi
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 06:40:33 PM »

True, too true.

I guess I should rephrase:

Not too bad to drive in if you pay attention, but it sucks when idiots on the road are acting like it is a sunny day in the middle of July and still turn corners at 40 MPH.

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 03:16:29 AM »

We've got about four inches of snow here and it's still falling. Shocked The most I've seen in this town was about two inches.

We're having trouble getting the cars up the drive, even after shovelling the snow. Maybe I could use it as an excuse to not go to work.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 04:04:29 AM by James » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length