RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2024, 11:00:23 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Will the N64 make a good investment? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Do you think the N64 will increase in value in the 10 years or so?
Yes, but not much.   -10 (55.6%)
Yes, it wil be worth a fortune   -0 (0%)
No, it will stay the same   -5 (27.8%)
No, it will become completely worthless.   -3 (16.7%)
Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Will the N64 make a good investment?  (Read 3637 times)
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« on: January 25, 2007, 06:56:37 PM »

An N64 can be had for very cheap these days, even Gamestop and EB only sell them for $20.  While NES and SNES are getting in the $50-75 price range.  So do you think its possible to buy systems now, save them for a few years and sell them $50?
It seems like all the classic systems (and everything related) have skyrocketed in the past few years, so I guess it is possible. 

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 07:18:12 PM »

Yes. I think N64 will become a little more spendy in the future. In fact, it's already happened at the local pawn shop. They used to get $20 for N64s, now it's gone up to $30. Not to mention that I saw Mario 64 at GameStop the other day for 20.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Dev1anc3
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 07:50:53 PM »

It'll happen one day I'm sure. I remember when around the time when the N64 first came out, you could get an NES at around the $15-$20 range...   The Genesis on the other hand, I'm not so sure about.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 08:09:52 PM by DevIancE » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 07:58:40 PM »

I dont think so. The NES and SNES had a huge install base the N64 didn't. I don't see the kids that had the N64 going all nostalgic like people my age have. It is those people that have driven the price of the NES and SNES up.

Dev1anc3
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 08:20:28 PM »

I dont think so. The NES and SNES had a huge install base the N64 didn't. I don't see the kids that had the N64 going all nostalgic like people my age have. It is those people that have driven the price of the NES and SNES up.

It didn't have as much of a user base as the NES/SNES, and it also had a lack of decent 3rd party games, but I still think eventually it will be worth more than the usual $20 it fetches now. Most people that get one, only want it for the first party titles, so it just depends on if Nintendo can win back alot of the loyal fan base that it lost during the last 10 years, and if these people are willing to toss out $50 for a console that really only has alot of cool Nintendo/Rare games on it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 10:00:50 PM by DevIancE » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 02:03:34 AM »

But if you can get it on the VC will teh casual gamer go buy a N64? I don't think so. IMO

wrldstrman
nintedo completist
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 03:47:08 AM »

bad thing about n64 more than half are sports releated titles  and sports titles are not in much demand for any system

need last 3 nes items  chubby cherub box, stadium event manual and complete myriad
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 10:31:46 AM »

it will be, but not for loose systems, boxes and instructions will be extremely valuable
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 11:30:53 AM »

Isn't it that way for almost every console?

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
ganonbanned
Nintendo 64
United States
Awards: The RFG Kid

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 03:29:10 PM »

Yes, but not much.
Dev1anc3
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2007, 10:16:15 PM »

But if you can get it on the VC will teh casual gamer go buy a N64? I don't think so. IMO

Yeah, you bring up a good point there. I love the Virtual Console idea, and it's one of the main reasons that I want a Wii, but I also think that it has the potential to lower the worth of alot of scarce Nintendo games that usually fetch quite a bit of money. This could end up hurting the value of some of the N64 titles that usually fetch a decents amount of cash like the Mario Titles, as well as the N64 console itself. Not only that, but it could also drop the prices of games like Super Mario RPG, Earth Bound, and 3rd party titles like Mega Man X3, and Castlevania: Dracula X, and hell if they release enough of the past library of the NES / SNES / N64, it might hurt the resale value of the consoles themselves...   It might be a good time for all of us to liquidate our collections, and start collecting something stable...   like Care Bear memoralbillia.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 10:34:26 PM by DevIancE » Logged

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 10:35:17 PM »

Yeah, you bring up a good point there. I love the Virtual Console idea, and it's one of the main reasons that I want a Wii, but I also think that it has the potential to lower the worth of alot of scarce Nintendo games that usually fetch quite a bit of money. This could end up hurting the value of some of the N64 titles that usually fetch a decents amount of cash like the Mario Titles, as well as the N64 console itself. Not only that, but it could also drop the prices of games like Super Mario RPG, Earth Bound, and 3rd party titles like Mega Man X3, and Castlevania: Dracula X, and hell if they release enough of the past library of the NES / SNES / N64, it might hurt the resale value of the consoles themselves...   It might be a good time for all of us to liquidate our collections, and start collecting something stable...   like Care Bear memoralbilla.
But what happens after the Wii.  Downloaded games are saved onto the console and can not be taken off. Which is fine for the next 5-10 years, but the Wii will not last forever and it will break.  Now all of a sudden those 100 VC games you bought are gone forever.

Dev1anc3
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 11:26:54 PM »

I doubt that Nintendo's consoles are going to break with in a 10 year span. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, the big N has a pretty good track record when it comes to consoles. I have seen a few DRE Gamecubes, but nowhere near the amount of DRE PS's, PS2's, and XBox's, and even if the disc drive goes bad, I doubt this would affect the games on the Wii's memory. My Famicom Disk System probably works as good as it did in 85, yet I average a PS2 every year, and I barely play the PS2.
...and we're talking about the casual gamer here, not the collector, as the casual gamers are the people that usually make these mainstream titles become scarce and valuable. The casual gamer is the type who would pay $35.00 for Mario Kart 64 or $50 for Paper Mario out of impulse, play it for a while, then throw it into the closet with their golf clubs and the rest of their top selling, must have games. Most collectors already had those games ten years ago, or really don't care about them, because they're too busy trying to find a CIB Silicon Valley, or CIB Ogre Battle, which I doubt will end up on the VC, and won't be affected.

Just noticed...  I broke the 100 post mark!!!   where's my cookie!?!?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 04:32:53 AM by DevIancE » Logged

Lenneth
N-Gage
Australia

Stats
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 07:15:51 AM »

I voted 'no, it will stay the same'. I can't see demand for it going up more than there is now since a> the n64 is pretty robust so it isn't going become rare., b> ninny has a history of releasing good games like what its doing now with the WII and emulation. I expect to see that continuing with future consoles. c> lesser nostalgic value compared with the ps1 and consoles after it. and the dreamcast. Sad

Its already hit rock bottom prices so it wont be costing less than what it is now. I only expect it to go up with inflation. Adjusted, it will be the same price then as it is now.
wrldstrman
nintedo completist
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 08:52:10 PM »

consoles i dont think  will ever bring top dollar..some of the games will probally go up in price  super bowling being one.

need last 3 nes items  chubby cherub box, stadium event manual and complete myriad
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length