RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 05:17:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Looking at building a new PC 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Looking at building a new PC  (Read 6733 times)
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 11:06:30 PM »

I was talking to a friend who's in university and he said he can get Vista Retail for about £50, as a student grant thing. It may or may not be strictly legal but it's got me interested. He's going to look into it for me.

Damn, thats a rip off.
I've gotten XP from Purdue for $15, Office XP, 2003 and 2004 .Mac for $10 a piece.  If you know anyone who is a CS student, then you can prolly get it for free.  CS students at universities are able to download one copy of any Microsoft product for developmental purposes. 

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 12:55:35 AM »

I get mine for free and it is legal.

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 03:13:25 AM »

Damn, thats a rip off.
Ha!

How much is Vista to the general public over there? It's £180 here, the same as XP. I'm more than happy to pay £50 if the alternative is £180.

Edit: Forgot to mention, that's the Home version as well, not Pro.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 03:15:35 AM by James » Logged
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 10:34:01 AM »

Reet, lads. I've looked into it myself and it's actually free to download and burn to a disc but €10 for the packaged version to be delivered. However, it's non transferable and can't be traded to other people. And if you need to reinstall it you need to contact the university's program administrator for an activation key.

http://msdn.microsoft.com...m/usageguide/default.aspx

Bugger.

£180 odd is an absolute rip off.
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 11:19:15 AM »

XP Pro is 139.99 with a free upgrade to Vista.  (People are saying it still cost them around $12 for shipping, which is fine by me.)
http://www.newegg.com/Pro....asp?Item=N82E16832116175

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 11:47:55 AM »

XP Pro is 139.99 with a free upgrade to Vista.  (People are saying it still cost them around $12 for shipping, which is fine by me.)
http://www.newegg.com/Pro....asp?Item=N82E16832116175
That's OEM. I read something about OEM not getting full support from Microshaft. Something like they don't give activation keys when you want to reinstall it. If I were to go with OEM it would only be £56 for XP Home with a Vista upgrade coupon.
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 12:04:05 PM »

The way I understand it, you can reinstall it as many times as you want, but the problem is you can't move it from one computer to another. 

I have the academic version, which I thought was the same as the OEM, and I have switched (read: "upgraded") my computer numerous times, and all I have to do is call MS and tell them that it is installed on one machine only. I don't feel like finding out the differences between the two, but that is my experience.  Hell, I don't even know if the rules are the same for the US v. UK versions, the laws are different in both places so I wouldn't be surprised if the licensing changed.

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 02:58:30 PM »

After a bit of digging around I found out the only catches to OEM are:

You don't get support from MS.

You don't get the fancy box.

It's locked to the PC you install it on.

So pretty much what you said, just confirmed. But what does "no support from MS" mean? I've never needed help from them, apart from the updates which I assumed were free anyway.

That's OEM cleared up, then. I'm sure there are more questions to come. Again, thanks for all the help.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 03:38:23 PM »

Windows sucks...

When shall his new form be revealed?
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2007, 06:41:22 PM »

You still get all the updates.  But you can't call MS for free, basically.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 10:35:18 AM by Hydrobond » Logged

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2007, 09:52:29 AM »

I'm going to buy it all today. I only just found out the CPU comes with its own fan and heatsink. Would it be worth £15 for a different one? I don't intend to overclock anything.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Pro...o.asp?WebProductID=340995

I suppose if I decide it seems a bit hot I could buy the other fan when I get my other stick of memory.

Edit: I was looking at the Today Only page on Scan.co.uk and a few of the things in my basket were on special. I've taken the Asus CPU Fan off my list, and with the special offers it's all knocked about £30 off. Not bad.

Edit2: Well there goes £556.81. Hopefully nothing bad will happen to it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 10:35:15 AM by James » Logged
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 10:35:34 AM »

If you don't intend on overclocking then the stock heatsink should be just fine. 

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 11:59:19 AM »

Windows sucks.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2007, 12:07:44 PM »

Windows sucks.

Then stop using it!

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2007, 12:26:49 PM »

I've got the same processor as you and I don't use the stock cooler, because the one I bought is supposedly more silent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length