RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 03:22:16 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Insuring a collection? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Insuring a collection?  (Read 3795 times)
TurboGrafxer AKA DCer
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« on: January 06, 2007, 07:22:11 PM »

i am getting to the point where i have quite an investment of a collection. i was wondering if anyone has their collection insured? and if so how do i go about doing it? also what all do i have to do?

You're my hero. Vanilla Ice RULES! I can't believe that there is another SERIOUS Vanilla Ice fan on this site. The special edition DVD should be called "Cool As Ice: Drop That Zero Edition".
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 11:28:35 PM »

I am also interested in this.

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who has their collection insured but my understanding on the subject is.

It is not covered under normal homeowners insurance since it is a collection and you have to get a special kind of insurance where you declare the values of the items.

The only thing i have really learned for certain though is it would be expensive to insure a collection.

NationalGameDepot
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 12:33:58 AM »

I actually asked my insurance agent about this.  He said so long as the collection is documented and you can place a value on it that insurance would cover it.  Not sure if that is normal or not, but I was happy to hear it.
~~NGD

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 03:58:44 AM »

I actually asked my insurance agent about this.  He said so long as the collection is documented and you can place a value on it that insurance would cover it.  Not sure if that is normal or not, but I was happy to hear it.
~~NGD

Mine said the same thing. Also they said games are covered under personal properties. Thats anything in the house like house like couches, lambs and stuff that not electronic. I think my consoles are cover under electronics but the games personal properties.

Pop Culture Portal
RFG Friend
United States
Awards: Tournament Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 08:56:26 AM »

I'll say "ditto" to what everyone else has said.  I looked into insuring my comic book collection several years ago.  They said collections could be insured, no problem, but that I had to turn in documented proof of their value.  So, a collector's guide of some sort would work and I had to list each issue, their value, and the source for their value (the collector's guide).  Not too hard to do, except when you have as many as 6,000-8,000 comics, that could take awhile.  That was the only thing that stopped me at the time.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 10:53:49 AM »

Ditto.  It is covered under home owners insurance.  I have to look into it further but I the agent says I have to have a picture of everything in the collection.  You could also buy something called toy insurance but if you have home owners you don't need it.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 05:49:44 PM »

~~NGD

Mine said the same thing. Also they said games are covered under personal properties. Thats anything in the house like house like couches, lambs and stuff that not electronic. I think my consoles are cover under electronics but the games personal properties.

ditto....except for the lambs part....i have lamps in my house...but no farm animals....

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 06:33:25 PM »

~~NGD

ditto....except for the lambs part....i have lamps in my house...but no farm animals....

I was wondering the same thing. Why exactly DO YOU have lambs in your house. LOL
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 11:23:26 PM »

Wool is great for dusting the wood and tile flooring.

cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 07:21:33 PM »

HMMMMMM. OK LOL
TurboGrafxer AKA DCer
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 06:50:37 PM »

they also say that a lamb/sheeps vagina is the closest thing to a womans. but then again i wouldn't know.

You're my hero. Vanilla Ice RULES! I can't believe that there is another SERIOUS Vanilla Ice fan on this site. The special edition DVD should be called "Cool As Ice: Drop That Zero Edition".
wrldstrman
nintedo completist
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 11:55:21 PM »

wow I called about uping my insurance to include my games and they told me I would have to get a seperate policy

need last 3 nes items  chubby cherub box, stadium event manual and complete myriad
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 08:54:04 AM »

My homeowners insurance covers it as well.  They consider it personal property.  I have to have it itemized in a listing that they keep a copy of and I keep the other.  Make sure your insurance coverage is enough to cover the estimated value of all your belongings and then some. 

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 10:39:35 AM »

I inquired once. I was told that it would ONLY be covered as personal property and NOT as a collection. Baseball cards are considered collectables and you can get full value for those but video games are NOT. The way it was explained to me, under a personal property insurance you may not be able to collect the full value for your games. Some insurers will consider your NES stuff with values comparible to a thrift store item ie: not worth shit. You really have to do your homework when considering insurance. It's sad when they're willing to cover a piece of cardboard but not a video game.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 12:15:26 PM »

Ohhh thats good to know thanks for the info. I will double check on my insurance.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length