RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 17, 2024, 05:18:48 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Opera Browser available Dec. 22 for Wii 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Opera Browser available Dec. 22 for Wii  (Read 2492 times)
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« on: December 19, 2006, 03:59:08 PM »

....well kind of.  The Beta version will be available for download on Dec. 22 for no charge.  The full release version is going to be available in March of 2007 and will be free until June 2007.  After that it will cost $5.00 (500 Wii points).  For more information go here: http://www.nintendo.com/n...Uv4FVU6QAX4ywrB&page=.  Thanks to Nintendo for this update!

I know I'll be downloading it on the 22nd!!!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 05:44:52 PM »

Strange. I think it is good Nintendo is trying to do stuff online. But why would I search the web on my TV?

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 06:40:51 AM »

Strange. I think it is good Nintendo is trying to do stuff online. But why would I search the web on my TV?

Because your wife is hogging the computer...

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 08:31:16 AM »

Because your wife is hogging the computer...

I could see that being a problem but we each have our own PC. Smiley

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 09:44:34 AM »

At least with the Forecast Channel, it's much quicker to turn on the Wii and check the Forecast Channel than it is to boot the PC, sign on, turn on IE, Firefox or Opera, go to your favorite weather site and then find you city. I assume it will be similar with the Internet Channel, the lack of a boot wait will be enticing.

Hello World.
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 10:28:55 AM »

browsing will be ok with the wiimote, but no keyboard will make doing anything of substance annoying

too bad there isnt any gamecube keyboard support
m3talst0rm
Jaguar CD
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 01:21:47 PM »

www.wiicade.com

Flash games that only use mouse and click to control.

I think this site (and others) will lead the way in some sort of homebrew scene for the Wii.  Try some of the games out...tactical assasin is short but totaly rocks.  Ray part 1 is a hillarious "choose your own adventure" south park style game.

Though this site doesn't have the best games in the world, it does show some potential for the wii's browser.
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 06:25:26 PM »

I think it will be pretty nice once you get bookmarks of sites you regularly visit setup. Opera's always been really good with speed and making webpages fit on lower resolution screens.

I'm so glad that Nintendo went with Opera over Firefox. Opera has always been the best, most robust, and feature-filled PC browser. I just hope it will have as many features as the PC version on the Wii.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 06:32:05 PM by Tondog » Logged

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 04:22:21 AM »

I'm postng with it now. Smiley

My only complaint is the lack of a keyboard.  This hunt-n-peck stuff got old back in elementary school.  The rest functions decently, and it is nice being able to access the net right here from my television.

it's thinking
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 04:39:28 AM »

Pffft. The PS2 could surf the internet. And it was free, too... Apart from the £20 network adaptor.
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 08:18:52 AM »

well i'm on it now, its a bit slow but not that bad if you only need to be on the tinternet for a short time

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 10:33:21 AM »

Pffft. The PS2 could surf the internet. And it was free, too... Apart from the £20 network adaptor.

Leon did you steal James account and make that post?

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 02:10:24 PM »

So what? The Dreamcast could surf the net! It was free too, hell they even gave you a modem!

But yeah, Opera on the Wii is probably one of the best things to ever happen to the Wii. I love it.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 04:39:45 PM »

Currently using the Wii to view this page. It's pretty nifty, to say the least.

Hello World.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 04:50:37 PM »

Well not for your use personally, but some people may not have a PC, and in these instances it's great. I had my Dreamcast before I ever had a PC (C64 excluded) and used the web all the time. The Dreamcast was wild for this, it only took 5 mins after getting it out of the box and you could surf the web, play flash games etc. It even had it's own web site for DC users to meet and chat, check horoscopes, find out the latest DC news and all that.

The amazing coincidence, is after all this time, the Dreamcast homepage of Australia is about to be revived http://comma.com.au

I use to also love how some games had the web browser built in so you didn't even have to put the browser CD in, not to mention the game browser had their own colour scheme and some an more up to date browser than the one packed in with the DC.

I would of preferred FireFox over Opera on the Wii, but it's not IE so am happy none the less as at least the Wii wont be crashing all the time Grin

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length