RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2024, 07:21:08 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | PS2 or Wii? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: Which should I get, a Wii or a PS2?
Wii   -6 (31.6%)
PS2   -13 (68.4%)
Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: PS2 or Wii?  (Read 2368 times)
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« on: December 13, 2006, 03:48:54 PM »

I've been wanting a Wii since it was black and called Revolution, but I've also wanted a PS2. Now with the Wii launch past, I still can't find one anywhere, they seem to be breaking a little too often, and there are no games that excite me.  I don't know if I should get one.  I'm a big Nintendo fan and I'm not thrilled with my PS1 (which I bought this summer) which is why I haven't bought a PS2 yet, but it does seem to have quite a few good (and cheap) games. 
So should I stick to my Nintendo roots and spend $250 on the Wii and $50 on each game or go with the $100 or so PS2 with $10 games?
If I get the PS2, should I get a slim one or the older version?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 04:05:19 PM by NES_Rules » Logged

Rejinx
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 03:59:53 PM »

Get both, but get the PS2 first.  There is a whole lot of very good gaming to be had for real cheap.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Rejinx[/img]
My Podcast: www.RetroRundown.com
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 04:05:54 PM »

Get both, but get the PS2 first.  There is a whole lot of very good gaming to be had for real cheap.

I second this idea.

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 04:15:46 PM »

Well, eventually I will be getting both.  My original plan was to just wait a few more years on the PS2. 

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 05:32:21 PM »

I second this idea.

I third that idea.

Give the Wii some time. Unless you're looking at it's ability to also be able to play GameCube games and retro titles...then it may be worth a thought. 

But your overall gaming value for the dollar (based on console cost and cost per game) will be with the PS2.

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 08:07:49 PM »

Get the one that will still have games coming out for it  Wink

How much of a hardcore gamer are you? If you do play games a lot, and really want a PS2, remember it's essential to get the external power adaptor for the slim PS2 to avoid frying it.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 08:33:47 PM »

The PS2 has an amazing library of games. The Wii will most likely have an amazing library of games, but as of right now most games are just being ported on the cheap with the exception of a few (Elebits, Rayman, Red Steel). I have a Wii and I love it to death, but I also have a PS2 and love it to death. If you are looking for an immediate fix then PS2 would probably be the route to go, unless you want to camp out for a Wii. If you do the latter, at least you will be able to play a damn good Zelda.

Hello World.
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 08:36:58 PM »

Just when we all thought the jokes were over, TraderJake drops this bomb.

I have a Wii and I love it to death.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 09:28:54 PM »

Get a PS2 with Okami, Shadow Hearts Covenant, Final Fantasy X, and Devil May Cry 3. That'll be nice and good.
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 10:07:20 AM »

i say go cheap and easy, PS2

you will have to work hard to get a wii anytime in the near future
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 01:49:22 PM »

You can get a PS2 with 20 brilliant games for the same price as a wii with one game. So unless you really want the new stuff, yous hould go with the PS2.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 02:39:16 AM »

I would probably get a Wii myself next year.... if it wasn't for the name laugh

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 01:53:02 PM »

Get the one that will still have games coming out for it  Wink

How much of a hardcore gamer are you? If you do play games a lot, and really want a PS2, remember it's essential to get the external power adaptor for the slim PS2 to avoid frying it.

I still don't think the slims fry themselves that easily. I leave mine on for 12 hour periods, sometimes more, and it has never given me any problems.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 12:45:07 AM »

It could be the Australian heat on top of the system heat that doomed the poor little bugger my mate owned.
But still I thought it best to warn others just in case.
I mean they know of this since they bothered releasing external power supplies for them.

TurboGrafxer AKA DCer
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 02:28:31 AM »

id say go for the ps2. its too early for the wii. let them get the bugs out first. after you buy the ps2 start saving money to get the wii. bythe time the cash is saved up the bugs will be gone.

You're my hero. Vanilla Ice RULES! I can't believe that there is another SERIOUS Vanilla Ice fan on this site. The special edition DVD should be called "Cool As Ice: Drop That Zero Edition".
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length