RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2024, 08:22:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Top 100 screwy? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Top 100 screwy?  (Read 8837 times)
tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 05:36:23 PM »

reset it and then limit it to just me (i will decide all)....either that, or reset it and then limit it to ppl with 500 + posts....

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 05:48:01 PM »

You'd think that limiting the voting to people with X number of posts might curb abuse, but one of the tankers has 3000 posts, so who isn't to say that he or she just won't do it again.

Hello World.
Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 06:16:46 PM »

Can we instead have rankings only against the same system?  For instance a list that features the top 50 NES titles, or the top 50 Genny titles.  Maybe that'd deter the fake voting.

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 06:56:34 PM »

It's Arrrr? I don't think I was ever tanking SEGA games, or any games for that matter, but it's been awhile since I was rating things.

Maybe you should up the number of votes before it's in the list. Three is way too few.

I think that might fix grumbles temporarily.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 07:01:46 PM by The Maligned Leon » Logged

When shall his new form be revealed?
Rejinx
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 07:30:54 PM »

I think a good way to stop people from bombing the top 100 is to make it where you can not click on the game in the top100.  If there was no link in the list, people would have to search the game to rate it.  I think this will work well, and people would only rate game they know.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Rejinx[/img]
My Podcast: www.RetroRundown.com
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 08:39:30 PM »

People are stupid.

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 02:52:27 AM »

I agree, maybe 5 votes to get an average, and lets reset. I wanna see ET at number one of the bottom 25!! nod

Tan
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 03:00:06 AM »

I think even as far as needing 25 votes could work, most of the top games would have no problem getting that many anyway. Or add the individual ratings of each person beside their name when you click "who owns this".
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2006, 03:04:35 AM »

Yeah, I see no harm in a 25 vote average.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 05:09:03 AM »

Chrono trigger really sucks.

Anyways, if you can't handle people giving low votes on a public list, you might as wel get rid of it. Many people are going to vote based on what they think is a good average grade for a game, or what pushes their favourite game up on the list, not what they personally believe the game deserves. It makes a lot of sense.

I agree it would be a good idea to up the amount of votes needed to get in the top 100, but 25 is a ridiculous number. The great thing about the list is that any game can get a top position in it, despite popularity. That's what sets it apart from all those other top 100 lists that have the same few games at the top.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 05:16:27 AM by Arrrhalomynn » Logged
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2006, 08:40:55 AM »

You might not like Chrono Trigger but a 5?

Tan
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2006, 11:25:06 AM »

Chrono trigger really sucks.

Anyways, if you can't handle people giving low votes on a public list, you might as wel get rid of it. Many people are going to vote based on what they think is a good average grade for a game, or what pushes their favourite game up on the list, not what they personally believe the game deserves. It makes a lot of sense.

I agree it would be a good idea to up the amount of votes needed to get in the top 100, but 25 is a ridiculous number. The great thing about the list is that any game can get a top position in it, despite popularity. That's what sets it apart from all those other top 100 lists that have the same few games at the top.

I have to respectfully disagree. This site not only has collectors but gamers as well and a top 100 should also reflect the games most owned by both types of members so 25 is an easy number for the most owned and popular games. It's not right if a game voted 90% by 1-10 people is listed above one @ 85% by 40, which is obviously the more popular game here?

Also it's easy for a collector to give a poor score to a game that they only own not play as in this hobby one doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with the other. I may not like Chrono Trigger too much but if I owned it I'd be fair and give it a 90-95% based on it's quality and impact alone, but everybody collects for different reasons.

If you really think 25 votes is too unreasonable then perhaps a system of mean averages where the votes and ratings both determine it's ranking. That way 40 people @85% would rate higher than 10 people @90.

The point is with 900 members and probably 100 being daily regulars there's no way games with such few votes represents the majority.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2006, 12:09:01 PM »

25 is a bit much. MB/Duck Hunt, the game everyone in the world owns 17 copies of, only has 24 votes. I think 10 would be more reasonable. 3's just way too few.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2006, 12:21:52 PM »

Sonic 2 has 33 votes
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 12:51:23 PM by Tynstar » Logged

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2006, 12:33:29 PM »

Oh you meant 34.

Why can't I delete my post anymore?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length