RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2024, 08:22:56 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Top 100 screwy? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Top 100 screwy?  (Read 8838 times)
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« on: December 04, 2006, 06:59:52 AM »

How exactly dose the top 100 work, some games don't get into it unless they have 3 votes. While I've seen some games hit the top with just 2 vote to their name, even though the games overall rating was also lower than some games that have more votes that aren't up there.

So in short, I'm confused. Huh

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 09:15:13 AM »

Yeah I'd say it's a bit buggy.

When shall his new form be revealed?
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 09:46:36 AM »

The Top 100 list is supposed to show the top rated games that have 3 or more votes. We didn't feel that allowing 1 or 2 votes to get to the top 100 list would be very fair since that could be easily rigged by one or two members.

That having been said, the top rated system is plagued by members who feel that they must give games a terrible rating because they view the current rating as "too high." While on a large site that would be offset by the sheer volume of votes that does not occur on a small website like ours. Also, the top 100 list was designed to work with the old database, and it may not have been edited to work with this system, causing the discrepancies you see. Perhaps the Black Perl could take a look at that.

Hello World.
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 10:07:53 PM »

Yup, there was a part of the ratings that did not get transfered over.  It's fixed.

Some games on the top 100 may still have slight discrepancies between the ratings on the top 100 and game pages, but they will get corrected the next time someone rates that game (or re-rates it).  Eventually everything will correct itself.  Easiest way to fix a game rating that is bad is to rate it!

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 02:27:22 AM »

Sweet, thanks for the info.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 05:34:41 AM »

The top 100 is great, it's so easy to manipulate and make it reflect your own preferences. The odd thing is that you'd think that such a freaky list would motivate more other people to vote too, but that doesn't seem to happen.
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 09:37:33 AM »

I like how the top 100 went from being Nintendo Skewed to being Sega skewed. I guess Nintendo fans are less likely to skew to their likings.

Hello World.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 10:47:06 AM »

I like how the top 100 went from being Nintendo Skewed to being Sega skewed. I guess Nintendo fans are less likely to skew to their likings.

Naw Sega games are just better thats all  Grin

TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 11:20:09 AM »

CHRONO TRIGGER!!!

That is all.

EDIT: Well that's just peachy, the game is not even in the top 100. To the two people who gave Chrono Trigger a 5... I know who you are... one of you might have even posted in this very thread. This is an open call for CatchFiveBats to return and give every Sega Game in the Top 100 a 5, perhaps then the values would be balanced again.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 11:26:03 AM by TraderJake » Logged

Hello World.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 03:03:26 PM »

It was such a pain in the ass when some voted every PAL Saturn game a 5.... they obviously had to much time on their hands  nono

23.    SNES     Chrono Trigger
Some one must of listen to that, cause it is now  Tongue

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 03:30:29 PM »

It was such a pain in the ass when some voted every PAL Saturn game a 5.... they obviously had to much time on their hands  nono

Some one voted 5 on all the Saturn PAL games? If people are going to be stupid on voting just to knock a company we should get rid of the damn list.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 03:50:55 PM »

Once there are enough people voting it won't matter. For now it's gonna be screwy.

TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 03:55:57 PM »

I think it is time to restart the user ratings. There are people here who have several pages of purposeful tankings, and there are other users that were in the know who purposefully tanked games that one of the original tankers loves (Euro Sega Anything).

There was  a reason why the hardware pages don't have ratings. People abuse the system. Abuse it too much, and you'll lose the privilege for all. I'll let you guys decide, I'm sure the Black Perl will have no qualms disabling the user rating system for games, much like it has been for hardware.

Hello World.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 04:01:35 PM »

Can you reset them? Go for it.

chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 04:06:43 PM »

keep voting only open to people with x number of posts, that should cut down some of the tomfoolery
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length