RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2024, 04:16:45 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Some Genny Collecting help. 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Some Genny Collecting help.  (Read 4553 times)
DKTheArcadeRat
N-Gage

Stats
« on: November 26, 2006, 09:30:03 PM »

OK, so earlier this year I decided to start pursuing a complete Genesis collection, but seeing as I am young and jobless, I decided that I would make it another goal to see if i can do it without spending over $5 a game.

So my questions are,

How possible do you think it is to do this?
How long do you think it will take me?
How many total Genesis games are there?

I am currently sitting at 81 with 50+ at least boxed, with most complete.  And already I have one of the really hard to find games for it, so it gives me hope for the future.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 09:38:36 PM »

Game Crazy 3 for $10 on anything DC and earlier Wink

Minus "special" deals like that your more or less doomed.
Unless you save up money and buy lots on eBay.

Our database has 714 listings for genesis.
If your looking to get different variants(cardboard boxes, mega hits, etc) that number will be higher.

Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 10:58:43 PM »

The odds are more likely you will fail then have sucsess.  Even if your going after cart only, there's too many games that fetch more then just $5.00.  It's true, you could very well come across said games at yardsales, pawnshops, thrift stores, and such and find them cheap, but the odds are not in your favor.

It's been said 10,000 monkeys with 10,000 typewriters given 10,000 years could write the collective work of shakesper.  I'd say you will finish it quicker then that, but it'll feel as long and be just as prolonging if $5.00 is your max spending per title.

Counting varrients?  Non official games? (side note, was there any non-licensed games beyond homebrew released for the genesis?)

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 11:36:24 AM »

a complete collection will be tough if not impossible with that spending limit, but you will be able to get quite a few, several hundred in fact. 

though you will find yourself with quite the sports game collection Tongue
MrMark0673
Virtual Boy

Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 12:26:07 PM »

Counting varrients?  Non official games? (side note, was there any non-licensed games beyond homebrew released for the genesis?)
[/quote]

I have a game called "whack-a-critter" that, judging by the cart, appears to be an unlicensed game.  Can you confirm Scott?  By the way, whats the deal with the blue blockbuster cart, some kind of competition cart or something?  I couldn't find any info on it.

Edit:  Just thought of Action 52 and the Wisdom Tree games for Sega, those must be unlicensed.
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 02:09:15 PM »

i have whack a critter, it seems to be made by the same company that put out funny world/balloon boy.  wisdom tree also did unlicensed games for the genesis.  EA and Accolade originally were unlicensed, though both companies eventually gave in and became licensed, they continued to use their unique genesis carts
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 04:06:02 PM »

Wow, I'm surprised Scott isn't all over this one!  But like chrisbid said you will have quite a sports Genesis collection with that limit.  The majority of sports games you could get under $5.

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
DKTheArcadeRat
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 04:38:53 PM »

I already have a bunch of sports games, for what I believe to be my entire collection at this point, check this.   
http://www.digitpress.com.../showowns.cmf?userid=7693

And I mean all releases, but not including Beggar Prince, at least not for now, maybe later on I'll include that. But all released games, minus homebrew games.

I already have Action 52 if anyone wanted to know, and that only cost me $3.82. w00t.

If eventually i get a good job, I will then up the price, or leave it minus a few games that I'd pay more for.

Dave
Rejinx
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 06:46:12 PM »

I have 3 plans for you:

Plan 1: Find someone who has a complete collection, save up your $5 from each game, buy a gun and rob them, twice (too many games to carry at once)

Plan 2: Find someone who has a complete collection, became his best friend and have him put you in his will.  hopefully you out live him or you can kill him.

Plan 3:  every game you buy for under $5 save the change, so you can buy the more expense games.  That way you can avg. $5 per game.  This will still cost you about $4000 and will take some luck.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Rejinx[/img]
My Podcast: www.RetroRundown.com
TurboGrafxer AKA DCer
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 10:26:37 AM »

idk. i built my genesis colection pretty fast. game crazy is a good place to start.

Game Crazy 3 for $10 on anything DC and earlier Wink

they used to have buy 2 get 1 free on games $4.99 and less. and most games thay had were $1.99 each so i cleaned up. go in with $50 and walk out with a bag full of gmaes. i did that with both genesis, snes, and nes at the game crazy in milford, oh. they have next to nothing left now, courtesy of me.

You're my hero. Vanilla Ice RULES! I can't believe that there is another SERIOUS Vanilla Ice fan on this site. The special edition DVD should be called "Cool As Ice: Drop That Zero Edition".
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 01:01:05 PM »

OK I am here

Slim but sure you could if time doesn't matter to you. I could never wait that long. The most expensive Genesis game is about 50 bucks or so.

Depends how lucky you are in finding the harder ones. Plus my guess is you will need to travel around a lot to look in a lot of different places.

705 (I think might be 704 or 706) regular releases. That does not include the Blockbuster carts or the homebrews.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 01:02:44 PM »

(side note, was there any non-licensed games beyond homebrew released for the genesis?)

Yes 2 kinda.

Breggar Prince was a Japanese game that was translated I think. The other homebrew is Frog Feast.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 01:07:10 PM »

I have a game called "whack-a-critter" that, judging by the cart, appears to be an unlicensed game.  Can you confirm Scott?  By the way, whats the deal with the blue blockbuster cart, some kind of competition cart or something?  I couldn't find any info on it.

Edit:  Just thought of Action 52 and the Wisdom Tree games for Sega, those must be unlicensed.
[/quote]

From what I can tell Whack-a-Critter is a unlicensed cart. I would love to get the controller for that game.

As far as the Blockbuster Blue cart I have. I think when you went into BB they could flash different games onto the cart for you to rent. There is also a Green cart and a rumored red cart. Or is it a red cart and a rumored green cart.

I saw the two BB carts on Ebay this year for 18.95 BIN each. I should of got them but was broke at the time.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 01:09:45 PM »

If you have any more question DKTheArcadeRat feel free to contact me on MSN or AIM or this thread. Same goes for anyone.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 01:17:19 PM »

Game Factory is what the Blockbuster cart is called.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length