RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2024, 09:14:32 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Featured Game - NHLPA Hockey '93 - 11/14/2006 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Featured Game - NHLPA Hockey '93 - 11/14/2006  (Read 3157 times)
Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« on: November 14, 2006, 08:38:34 AM »

[IMG width=250 align=right]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/games/U-040/bf/U-040-S-04040-A.jpg[/img]
NHLPA Hockey '93

Week: 11.14.06-11.20.06
Game: NHLPA Hockey '93
Console: Sega Genesis
Year: 1992
RFG ID:  U-040-S-04040-A
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: EA Studios / Jim Simmons
Genre: Sports
Players: 1-2

Game Page Address: http://www.rfgeneration.c...l?ID=U-040-S-04040-A&

It's that time of year again!  Time for teeth bustin', jaw crackin' action.  It's Hockey season!  Now that we're in full swing, I found it a good idea to feature a hockey game!  NHLPA Hockey '93 has some of the best high-flyin' action of any hockey game ever made.  Let us know your thoughts!  Discuss!

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 08:42:50 AM »

Cool, I've never played this game, but I did just pick it up for the SNES recently...definitely going to give it a try now.  Do you know if the SNES version differs at all from the Genesis version? 

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 08:45:49 AM »

I LOVED this game! den68 and I played countless matches back in the day.

I loved the fighting and making heads bleed!

This was a big improvement in the AI over the 1st game from the year prior, simply titled NHL Hockey.

And I think it was great that the Players Association sponsored it. I think that the NHL owners were withholding their support at the time because they weren't happy with the royalty cut. That's why there's no team logos in the game (or on the box cover for that matter). They did come to their senses in '94, though.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 12:24:41 PM »

my wife bought me this game for my birthday not long after we started dating. I used to play the hello out of it. I used to play the Red Wings actual schedule, not the in-game one and used to keep stats on my players with paper and pencil.

I remember winning a few matches against phoenix. Blades of Steel on NES was the hockey game I really kicked ass at though.

chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 12:25:50 PM »

he genesis version is smoother and has tighter controls

i find the choice curious though, as NHL '94 seemed to be the pinnacle of the series
Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 12:27:33 PM »

Heck no....In no other hockey game could you consistantly ram into the goalie w/o a penalty and score almost every time!  I just loved this game when I was little.  I won many a $5 bets with my brother over the fact that I pummeled him w/ Buffalo everytime.  Lol

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
Tan
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »

i find the choice curious though, as NHL '94 seemed to be the pinnacle of the series

I'll take that a step further and give the nod to NHL '94 for the Sega CD, the enhanced audio and goodies like the FMV's make it even better.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 10:20:06 AM »

I loved this game back in the day. The Genesis version was WAY better then the SNES version. I still play this game from time to time on the Genesis.

One of my friends and I would play this games every day after school for hours. No one could beat us in this game. I played against a bunch of other friends in a tournament and the narrowest margin of victory was 13 goals.

shoes23
Legendary AFK'er
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 01:14:15 PM »

Probably the greatest hockey game ever made.  The only year IIRC where there was actual blood after a fight, and nothing more satisfying than laying out your buddy and then watching him bleed.  The score could get a little outlandish however.  The only question was if you could knock your buddy down before he had a chance to deke out your goalie and score a goal.  We had some games end with score in the high teens.  I believe this was the first year to introduce one-timers as well. 

www.questmarker.net
[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/shoes23.png[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 01:17:24 PM »

Nope there are no one timers in this game.

beerman2020
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 08:54:59 PM »

NHLPA 93 owns, whips, and beats down NHL 94 for several reason:

-way better music and intro

-much more fun gameplay; crazy puck bounces etc. that's missing from 94

-no one timers (YES, this is a GOOD thing because it forces you to be creative with goals, instead of mindless one timer after one timer. I despise one timers)

-93 has fighting AND.....BLOOD! 94 is a pussy game with neither (parents complained and EA was pussy whipped)

94 fans will tell you 94 is better because it has goalie control, but the Genesis version goalie control is USELESS because you have to hold down the b button for 3 seconds, and by that time, the puck is in the net. It's worthless.

93 is just a lot more fun to play. I won't lie, 94 IS technically considered the best game, but TRUE gamers know 93 is by far the most fun in the entire EA series. I hardly ever play 94. But I still play 93 almost every night.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 11:05:42 PM »

I like you beerman2020 and welcome to the boards!

OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 11:22:28 PM »

Minnesota is holding Hockey Day on January 20th.   Smiley

it's thinking
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length