RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2024, 12:20:37 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Site Upgraded 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Site Upgraded  (Read 5247 times)
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: October 15, 2006, 02:02:22 PM »

Well, to say all us of on staff have not been looking forward to this day would be a lie. After many months of preparation, and hundreds of hours of programming, the fruits of our labor have finally paid off. See, our site was originally operating a file-based database, and fortunately or unfortunately, however you look at it, our traffic got a little bit too big for that form of database, and as such, a search for a new database system began. It was quickly decided upon that the popular open source database known as mySQL would be the best route to take, so back in May we decided to do a switch. The first thing that was to go was our old forum, YaBB. We love YaBB, but it places a lot of load on the server, and is file based. As such, we tested and subsequently launched SMF in July. SMF is essentially the mySQL and PHP version of YaBB, so I hope most of you didn't hate it that much. In fact, since it is my labor of love, I hope you all enjoy it's functionality as much as I do.

Well, today marks another major milestone in the progression, see, today is the first day that all of our databases run in the mySQL system. Collections, Games, Hardware, forums, they all run through the mySQL server. Hopefully, when the mySQL server is running, this system will allow for reliability that we simply did not see earlier.

What does this mean for you guys? Well, first, you all can use the new submission scripts for hardware and games. These scripts allow you pretty much the same functionality that the staff gets, only your submissions are reviewed. I'm sure you all will enjoy the fact that you know can submit additions and extra media, rather than making a post. So yeah, please do that. One other thing, the hardware system is final apparently. You now can add hardware entries to your collection.

There will be bugs, and these bugs will be quashed throughout the week. Updated anything currently does not work, and we will be fixing that in the near future. We are also aware of an issue where page credits for games sometimes did not transfer correctly. If you see any bugs, please let Eddie (St0rmTK421) or I know. We'd appreciate it, as we really would like to get any and all bugs quashed as quick as possible.

This is a major milestone, and we hope you enjoy the occasion as much as we do. As always though stay tuned, there is more to follow when you keep it tuned to channel three.

Hello World.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 02:11:43 PM »

*claps* banana banana banana banana freakboy freakboy freakboy king king party party

Good job dudes.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 03:10:28 PM »

Awesome work guys.

Only bugs i have noticed thus far have to do with adding hardware to your collection.

If you do a more broad search and get more than 1 page of results the page is blank when you try to go to page 2.

Also it defaults the display alphabetically, if you try to change it to display by system or something else the page is also blank.

So glad that the changes have been implemented. Thanks for all your hardwork Dave and Eddie

Tan
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 03:28:02 PM »

Awesome work guys, hats off to you for your hard work, this site just keeps getting better all the time!
king  beer
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 04:43:56 PM »

Great work fellas!

Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 04:53:54 PM »

Awesome job Dave & Eddie!!  Must feel good to finally get the product of your labor out in the open Wink

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2006, 07:52:50 PM »

Great work guys!!!!!

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 06:47:33 AM »

Great job guys!  There is still a problem, though.  When I click on Add Games it goes to this screen:
Hey, shaggy, you have 0 new message(s).

If this is your first time using the RF Generation collection software, please take a few moments to read through the FAQ.

My Collection Edit Collection Add Games Manage Folders My Profile Search Collection All Collections FAQ Logout 

Please use the Search Page to add games.
Back

« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 06:49:27 AM by shaggy » Logged

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 06:52:05 AM »

I found something else.  I assume now all the blanks are now 0's because I noticed this while searching my collection.  I didn't know if this was supposed to happen.  All in the drop down menu it says I have 421 NES games but when I choose it I have 407 NES games which is the correct number.  I don't know this is only for NES games or all systems with this discrepancy.

SMS set complete!
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 08:26:55 AM »

I found something else.  I assume now all the blanks are now 0's because I noticed this while searching my collection.  I didn't know if this was supposed to happen.  All in the drop down menu it says I have 421 NES games but when I choose it I have 407 NES games which is the correct number.  I don't know this is only for NES games or all systems with this discrepancy.

Do you have any NES games on your wish list or for sale list?

For me it says I have 407 NES games but if you add what I have listed in my collection and what I have listed in my orphans folder you get 407.

shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 08:42:40 AM »

Do you have any NES games on your wish list or for sale list?

For me it says I have 407 NES games but if you add what I have listed in my collection and what I have listed in my orphans folder you get 407.

Yea, I have games in my Wishlist and games in my Orphan folder which adds to 421.  So these is something else that needs to be fixed back to the way it was.

SMS set complete!
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 09:16:55 AM »

The add games page is causing problems, so please use the main search in the meantime.

The problem with the number of games for each console has been fixed.

As for the numbers, if you didn't have anything entered for any of the fields, they were set to a default of zero.  I'll see if I can find a way to switch it back, but it seems unlikely since reuploading the files seems to place a heavy load on our SQL server.  I can remove the default value for the tables and allow blank spaces to be entered again, but for the ones that are already there you probably will have to set them by hand.  Note that only blank values were set to zero, anyone who filled out their fields when adding games should still have those values correct.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
Tan
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 09:40:53 AM »

I'm not sure if this falls into the same category or not but the "All Collections" page is showing a discrepancy. When the hardware database went up i added Xbox 360 hardware listing to my list making 740, then removed it a few minutes later. the "All Collections" page still shows 740 but when you click my name and go into it, it shows the proper 739.  Tongue
Kevincal
Donor
United States
Awards: RFG Promoter

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 11:58:58 PM »

I'm getting nothing when I click My Collection or Search all collections...

Cherish the most important things in life, your health & family.
Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 12:35:13 AM »

So far all of the problems found have been adressed by others.  Only question I have is about missing games.  It's great that we now have the ability to submit the titles ourselves, but how will users be notified when the various systems/games have been added?  Will the member be required to do a day to day check to see if it's been added?  Will there be a thread listing all titles that have recently been added?  A PM to each person saying their entry has been added?

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length