RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2024, 02:31:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Good News: PS3 will cure ALS and Allzheimers 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Good News: PS3 will cure ALS and Allzheimers  (Read 3510 times)
Mike Leon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« on: September 19, 2006, 07:24:14 AM »

Bad News: It's an overpriced piece of crap.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/T...tation.folding/index.html

I could stand to have my Wii serviced right about now.
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 08:11:33 AM »

piece of crap is a little too much, im sure it will perform as advertised... super pretty graphics.  but the price is way too high, and the library will be 95% PSX and PS2 sequels
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 09:30:07 AM »

Bad News:  It will cause epileptic seizures.

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 03:24:19 PM »

Bad news: It will cause personal bankruptcies all over the country.

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 03:34:48 PM »

Good News: It plays games...
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 03:57:45 PM »

Bad News:  It will cause epileptic seizures.

Only if your already a sufferer, or if they show season 1, episode 43 of Pokemon on it ^^
God I hate that show.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 05:08:44 PM »

Better news:

You can help cure cancer, ALS, and Alzheimers thanks to your computer, and save 600 dollars by not buying the PS3 as a manner to cure cancer.

As someone whose mother has the terminal illness known as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, or ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease, or the Steven Hawking Illness I highly recommend people to run this program on their computer. The program runs in the background, so it does not hog resources, and it truly helps in the search for the cure of many illnesses.

If you would like to install Folding @ Home, here is the link.

Hello World.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 05:32:14 PM »

What a strange, scattered, article. It goes everywhere.

When shall his new form be revealed?
tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 12:25:50 PM »

Good News: It plays games...

...in theory...

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 03:28:08 PM »

Better news:

You can help cure cancer, ALS, and Alzheimers thanks to your computer, and save 600 dollars by not buying the PS3 as a manner to cure cancer.

As someone whose mother has the terminal illness known as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, or ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease, or the Steven Hawking Illness I highly recommend people to run this program on their computer. The program runs in the background, so it does not hog resources, and it truly helps in the search for the cure of many illnesses.

What does the download do?

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 04:38:46 PM »

Better news:

You can help cure cancer, ALS, and Alzheimer's thanks to your computer, and save 600 dollars by not buying the PS3 as a manner to cure cancer.

What does the download do?

Short Answer: It simulates the folding of proteins. By understanding the folding of proteins it may be possible to find cures for many noncommunicable illnesses.

Long Answer: Proteins are complex. There may be 21 amino acids that make up proteins but these acids can be arranged and folded in any way. There are literally billions of ways to fold proteins, but somehow our body seems to do it right most of the time. But what would happen if say these proteins were not to fold correctly?

See, proteins have a very important function in our body. Often times they are enzymes, which hasten or allow organic reactions to occur. These enzymes must be folded perfectly in order for it to function correctly. If, by some freak occurrence the folding process fails, then that enzyme will not exist in the cell, and the process it helps facilitate would not be allowed to go on.

Misfolding of proteins causes a lot of illnesses. Cancer, ALS, Alzheimer's, are all thought to be begun by protein. Of those, cancer has the most concrete evidence of a misfolding of a protein allowing the illness to occur. See, the body actually has a protein that destroys tumors. You may have heard of it, p53, or the tumor suppressor protein. Most of the time this protein folds correctly, but on some rare occurrence this protein may misfold, causing p53 to not work as planned. This malfunction can lead to what we commonly call cancer. It sure would be nice though to know how p53 worked though, perhaps then we would have a cure for cancer.

Thing is though that while we know the structure of the p53 protein and what it does we do not know how to recreate it in the lab. The folds that are required to make this protein are extremely complex and require a supercomputer to figure out. But, what if we could make the processes smaller, and allow them to be run on home computers? Enter Folding @ Home.

Folding @ Home is a program developed by Stanford University that works in the background and determines how a protein folds. Sure it may take a while to determine how one protein works, but if you have a million people running Folding @ Home you are going to have a lot of computations being generated. These computations could be used to find cures for cancer, you never know.

Of course, the more people who run the program the better the program becomes, and the more data that comes available. So, please consider running F@H, it may someday find a cure for cancer.

Hello World.
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 08:27:33 PM »

I seriously doubt Trader Jake wrote that...

But yeah, I was running F@H for quite a while.  Most of the time you wouldn't even notice its installed.   It only uses spare clock cycles, so you will not notice a performance hit. 

I think I'll start running it again.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 08:45:57 PM by Hydrobond » Logged

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 09:02:28 PM »

But yeah, I was running F@H for quite a while.  Most of the time you wouldn't even notice its installed.   It only uses spare clock cycles, so you will not notice a performance hit. 

I took AP Bio, I sure as hell wrote it.

Hello World.
Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 09:23:06 PM »

But yeah, I was running F@H for quite a while.  Most of the time you wouldn't even notice its installed.   It only uses spare clock cycles, so you will not notice a performance hit. 

I took AP Bio, I sure as hell wrote it.

Lucky you.

Then I guess you should take the compliment.

By the way, I wasn't questioning your knowledge, just your writing style.  Both the volume and quality are atypical of an Internet forum.

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 01:28:53 PM »

That's more than Wii or 360 can say. Smiley

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length