RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2024, 06:21:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerberus  (Read 6447 times)
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2006, 12:33:14 PM »

Well at least you like arrested development.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2006, 12:36:53 PM »

Heck yes. Now that's something that everyone can agree is fantastic.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Mike Leon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 10:39:56 AM »

FF7 was cool when it was new, and it does have a cool story, but ultimately it's still scrub gaming. It requires no actual skill to play. It's still a big deal. It changed the face of video gaming by showing the masses that video games could have more depth than "the princess has been kidnapped". You have to ask yourself though, are you playing it because it's fun, or are you grinding through it just to see what happens in the end of the story?

As for the other Final Fantasy games, I can't play 1-6, because you can only move 4 directions. It drives me insane after about 12 minutes. We invented diagonal movement in the freaking 8-bit era! Chrono Trigger has it. What's going on with these retards?

I thought 8 was pretty cool, and I like the fact that the enemies scale so that they are always close to your level. It makes strategy more important than grinding. Stupid n00bs think they're hot shit in RPGs because they can grind to a high level and blast through everything. All that proves is you have too much time on your hands, not that you're any good at playing games.

9 had a guy with a monkey tail on a pirate ship.

10 was just gay. 8 had Squall, and it still wasn't as gay as 10. 10 was soooooooooooooooo sooooooooo gay. It was gayer than Bruce Fillanch waving a gay flag in a gay bar with Richard Simmons dancing on top, while Brokeback Mountain is being projected on the outside wall of the building. Just look at Tidus! Look how gay he is! If I had sex with men, I still wouldn't be as gay as if I had played that game.

As gay as 10 was, Advent Children was even gayer. It was super dee duper gay.

My favorite of the entire series was 11. I never actually played it, but I loved seeing the look on the mouth-breather fanboys' faces, when they discovered they couldn't play it, because of the fee and required internet connection. There were so many angry fanboys and fangirls. The best were the ones who bought the game, thinking they could play it in a mythical offline mode. Their tears were like a fountain of happiness for me.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 10:48:32 AM by Shin Evil Leon » Logged

I could stand to have my Wii serviced right about now.
Tan
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 11:01:15 AM »

damn, you pretty much summed up my entire FF expieriences perfectly  freakboy
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 11:09:08 AM »

That was damn funny.

FF 1-6 - Never played any.

FF VII - I played until the buggy you drive around it breaks down. I broke down on teh edge of a cliff and once I got it fixed I couldn't move. I had to start over. Got a little farther then just stopped playing.

FF VIII - Played for about 10 minutes

FF IX-whatever they are up to now - played none of them.

Once question I have is how can you have a FINAL Fantasy after #1? If there is a number 2 thats not really FINAl is it?

atari_wizard
Sega Master System
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 12:06:04 PM »

Once question I have is how can you have a FINAL Fantasy after #1? If there is a number 2 thats not really FINAl is it?

Very true!

Have you played Pitfall II today?

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/atari_wizard.png[/img]
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 03:43:44 PM »

I picked up Dirge of Cerberus a couple days ago.  The story line is great, I love the fact that you play as Vincent, the sound track is pretty cool, the voice acting is pretty good (most of the actors from advent children come back to play their roles in DoC).  The game play however is a disappointment your fights are only with three or four guys at a time, your guns rate of fire and reload is ridiculously slow, and you only have a three hit melee combo.  It works, but it’s not very exciting.  If you like Final Fantasy 7 and Advent Children I’d recommend it for its story and not the game play. 

I just read the review for this in Playstation Monthly and they had the same complaints as you.  They gave it a 5.5 out of 10.  You should write a review for the site!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2006, 07:40:25 PM »

I'm actually working on one.

Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2006, 05:42:09 PM »

XD Tondog based his opinion on an RPG in only 4 hours!!! That is the funniest thing ever! Hell if I gave up on Skies of Arcadia when it was extremely borring I wouldn't have realized it was the greatest RPG ever. Now that game had everything, and don't say the cliched story crap. Ramirez was the single most insane villain ever, even moreso than Kefka.
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2006, 07:59:44 PM »

I really don't give a crap if I missed out on anything good. If it doesn't get good after 4 hours, then there's no reason for me to be playing it since I have plenty of other games on my list to play, and all of them have more involved gameplay than FF7.

Sorry. Reading endless screens just does not appeal to me. I like to actually do stuff in games I play. Er, The Neverhood may be an exception, because it is slow paced, but it's fun to figure out the puzzles and what to do next.

You want good examples of an RPG? Deus Ex, System Shock, Shenmue, and Mario RPG. Those are the ONLY good RPGs I have played.

Also, I've never played Skies of Arcadia.

Sorry, I really really don't like most RPGs out there. They are just too darn slow and boring for me to care about.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Mike Leon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 11:53:25 AM »

You want good examples of an RPG? Deus Ex, System Shock, Shenmue, and Mario RPG. Those are the ONLY good RPGs I have played.

Whoa, whoa. Back up there. I'm with you on the whole Final Fantasy sucks thing, but you just can't complain that a game is too boring, and then go on to list Shenmue as one of your favorites. That's just not natural.

The award for "Most Boring Game Ever Created" pretty much goes to Shenmue. It sucks in all the same ways Final Fantasy does, except worse. It's actually even less of a game than FF, because in Shenmue, you can't lose. You always just repeat whatever you messed up. I bought the game based on the opening cut scene. Too bad I didn't actually play it first.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 11:58:57 AM by Shin Evil Leon » Logged

I could stand to have my Wii serviced right about now.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2006, 02:05:28 AM »

You know out of all honesty FF7 is not the worst game ever.
7.8 Million copies were sold, with many people getting Playstations especially for this one game. The only other system to push PS sales higher than this was Gran Turismo a game I don't give a crap about... why? Because everyone has their own taste in games.

So while I could except you saying you didn't like it at all, and think it is very over rated. You can't say it's the worst game ever. To find many games that are far worse, look no further than our very own Bottom 25 Games ^^

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2006, 04:09:23 PM »

Final Fantasy is one of those game series that is popular to rip on.  It's sort of how 15 years ago, suddenly everyone one suddenly became afraid of clowns.  It is such a divergance from what would be expected, that it becomes something people say whether it's true or not (not that I'm saying anybody here doesn't believe what they are saying).

However, I think this statement is where most of the Final Fantasy bashing comes from:

Sorry, I really really don't like most RPGs out there. They are just too darn slow and boring for me to care about.

If you don't like RPG's to begin with, you're probably not the best critic to judge them.  And being that Final Fantasy is the most popular RPG out there, people who don't like RPG's will naturally say that it is the worst series ever.  It's sort of like if I were to come out and say the Gran Turismo series is the worst series ever.  While I might really feel that way, it really isn't the best opinion to go off of because I don't like racing games to begin with.

The thing about most RPG snobs (which fits me to a tee) is that we are more interested in the story and the exploration than a challenge.  It's cool having tough dungeons and bosses that will really test your strategies, and it might actually make that game more appealing to you, but it's not the first thing that most RPG fans are looking for.  I do like some of the more action oriented RPG's like Knight of the Old Republic, but I love playing the random encounter, turn based, linear RPG's.

All that being said, Final Fantasy 8 probably was my least favorite Final Fantasy, but I still absolutley love that game.  Hell, I went out and actually tracked down action figures from the game.  I spent a lot on some of them too.

......wow.  This post was much longer than I intended.  I was going to spout off a bunch more stuff, but it's long enough as it is. 
chrisbid
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2006, 11:13:41 AM »

final fantasy ii on the snes is my favorite.  the music blew me away in 1991, and the story had more depth than anything i had played (having never played phantasy star 1 or 2 up to that point). 

i played ff iii a couple of years after its release, summer of 96 i think.  i liked it, but i think it had too many goofy elements, and it just felt like playing ffii on steroids.  i spent that summer playing through rpgs, with phantasy star ii impressing me the most with its diffculty and dark story

ff vii was a fun game to play through, its the game that got me to actually buy a playstation, but in retrospect i think the game is a bit of a sham as a killer app.  at first i didnt realize the fmvs were not produced by the system.  many people still think those are psx graphics, and after ffvii, every gawd dam game had to have stupid pre rendered fmvs.  the continuity of character models also bugs me, the fmvs werent even consistant... does cloud wear blue or black?  and again, there was too much silliness going around to take the game seriously.  comic relief is fine in small doses, but cross dressing side quests in the first couple of hours of the gameplay is a bad omen for whats to come. 

i enjoyed viii with the lone exception of the time it takes to draw spells.  i do like the idea that it is possible to finish the game with little or no leveling up. 

i couldnt get very far in ix, i lost interest in it.  i will give the game credit for not taking itself too seriously

i enjoyed x.  i really really really wanted to hate it.  and i agree that tidus is one gawd awful character.  but everybody but the hero shined.  auron made up for what tidus lacked

but in general, the term overrated fits final fantasy like a glove.  its not the best thing since sliced bread and individually wrapped cheese slices.  but by no means do the games qualify for any "werst game evar" list either.  on a five point scale, the games get solid 3s and 4s
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 04:46:40 AM »

That sounds so much like me ^^

I like many many many others got a PS just for FF7.
I played FF7 on there, and still played my Saturn for anything else until Bernie Stolar did his thang.

In retro spec I also no longer see it as a great game, as it could of easily of been improved. Like decent FMV through the whole game, instead of those very lame in-gameish FMV scenes thrown in. It's still my favourite along with Tactics though despite it's lame drawbacks like that.

It paid of big time, many people must of believed the good FMV bits were the game graphics.... and why not, the commercials that made it sell so much only used the FMV.

I really liked FFXI, although it was the biggest pain in the ass to install out of any game I have EVER installed. Plus it costs too much, but there is the overrated bit coming into play. On the up side I love the Moogles in this one, and have a lil stuffed one ^^

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length