RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2024, 03:12:33 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Nintendo Makes DS Name Final, Design Cooler 0 Members and 14 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Nintendo Makes DS Name Final, Design Cooler  (Read 12448 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« on: August 01, 2004, 11:06:54 AM »

http://www.nintendo.com/n...6d-403c-a017-ab1dc6fab277

So the official name of Nintendo DS will remain Nintendo DS.  Besides that, they've made the console look a LOT slicker.

shadytool
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 11:15:52 AM »

looks more "grown-up" to me.
glad they didnt change the name also.
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 01:36:22 PM »

I don't care what its name is and what it looks like, as long as it has some cool games. I don't understand why the media was all over this.

"The Nintendo DS will change the future of hand-held gaming," says Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo Co., Ltd. "Dual screens, chat functions, a touch screen, wireless capabilities, voice recognition-- these abilities surpass anything attempted before, and consumers will benefit from the creativity and innovation the new features bring to the world of video games."

I don't care about any of these abilities. Voice recognition?? They expect me to talk to the thing when I'm I'm the train? Or touch it with my greasy unwashed hands? And if it uses a pen, I can already see myself stick it right through the thing on the first bump I'll pass.
And what about that chat function and the wireless thing? Do they plan to put this thing networks of mobile phones? I can't see any other reason to chat on a handheld. You don' t need this if you're gaming with someone close to you.

I find this ds thing very confusing and I really don't know what to think of it.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 02:38:38 PM »

Videogames are trying to become more mainstream again and apeal to everyone soon there wil be another regression and the industry will slump if they keep this up.

shadytool
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 04:57:19 PM »

Videogames are trying to become more mainstream again and apeal to everyone

like PS2 and XBOX having DVD players?
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 05:04:02 PM »

well it makes sense because they are making games on dvds now, but ya basically.

Mike Leon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 11:57:40 PM »

I haven't had a problem with DVD players on systems. It's kind of a handy feature. But it's when it goes beyond that it's just too ridiculous. There's all this talk now of the PS3 having a PVR and a DVD burner and a million other features, and you know Microsoft will try to compete with that when they release XBOX NEXT. That's all going way to far. It's insane. The prices of these things are going to be astronomical with all of those extra features. And the reality is, most people don't care about the extra features. It's often a small bonus, but hardly anyone will pay that much extra (and we're not talking about $10 here) just because they can record live TV. I see no reason to have a stand-alone PVR. Why would I want to spend twice as much money on my video game system because it has one built in? Sony and Microsoft will be alienating themselves from a large majority of the market because the price is just too high. It's very possible that Nintendo will end up back on the top of the market in the next generation because they've been talking about their next system being more simplistic. That's what the consumers want, a system that plays video games for a reasonable price. I don't give a shit if I can rewind during Matlock and I don't think anyone else does.

I could stand to have my Wii serviced right about now.
IceBladeX
Virtual Boy

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 01:07:17 AM »

My X-Box DVD player actually messes up during certain movies, though this may be an isolated thing, I havent looked into it. I have taken great care of it though.

I didnt really need to see anything else on the DS except for the new side scrolling Mario game. I've been waiting for something like that since Super Mario World 2.

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 05:10:59 AM »

Ooohhh, me likes the new design!

I'm really looking forward to the 802.11b capability. I hope to hell they do it right, so I can hit any hot spot and play a kick ass game with a friend that lives elsewhere.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
2D-Forever
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 08:12:43 AM »

*Bluetooth enabled so you can catch a virus anywhere.*-not really but still the same kinda thing.

Chat can bite my ass.  I'm looking for a machine to play games, not a cell phone, if I wanted to talk, I'd get a free cell phone and carry it too.  I have an amazing thing called pockets so I can carry more than one item.  PSP is a game machine straight up, I think it will do better than DS for that reason alone.  The failure of the Jokia N-Rage is a given.

-God gave us memories so we could languish in dispair.
-Once delayed, Twice dismayed.  SNK
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 02:53:27 PM »

I think the PSP is going to have problems to because there universal disks will only work on there system. Also isnt it supposed to cost an estimated $250-300?
Ive given up on Nintendo they will never win the "console wars" again if they keep pitching to such a young audiance and dont come up with new franchises instead of rehashes o the same old games.
Seriously my cousin has 3 Different variations of Ocarina  of Time for the gamecube. and i cant really see buying  Pacman or SMBs for GBA at $20 a piece im sorry.

IceBladeX
Virtual Boy

Stats
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 10:54:05 PM »

I dont really see the kiddie angle, but thats me. Games are games whether they have childish character designs or not, as long as its well and tastefully done. Of course there are exceptions to this rule. I'm 23 and I still enjoy most every Nintendo game that comes out as much as I enjoy, say, Splinter Cell or Ninja Gaiden.
I'd also rather not Nintendo win the console war, but it keeps them making games and thats all I care about really.
And as for the PSP having problems, dont forget IZ, Sony knows how to market.

IceBladeX
Virtual Boy

Stats
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 01:47:06 AM »

Heres a new list of DS games that sounds really interesting. A new Mana game, a Game Arts RPG, even a Vandal Hearts (PS1) game!
http://planetgamecube.com...m?action=item&id=5481

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 10:59:16 AM »

Videogames are trying to become more mainstream again and apeal to everyone soon there wil be another regression and the industry will slump if they keep this up.

Said this going on 5 years ago.
Anyone agree with me yet or still?

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 11:05:06 AM »

I cant believe that link still works! I waited in the freezing cold on opening day to score my DS, and I still have it today.....I also have a DSlite, and will be getting DSi
There must have an increase in traffic to that link and they took it down, because it's not working now.

Said this going on 5 years ago.
Anyone agree with me yet or still?
You were definitely right about gaming becoming more mainstream. The industry doesn't seem to be slumping yet, but I suppose it's still possible. This may be the "peak" of video games.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length