RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2024, 03:14:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Nintendo Makes DS Name Final, Design Cooler 0 Members and 18 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Nintendo Makes DS Name Final, Design Cooler  (Read 12455 times)
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 08:32:58 PM »

Videogames are trying to become more mainstream again and apeal to everyone soon there wil be another regression and the industry will slump if they keep this up.

Said this going on 5 years ago.
Anyone agree with me yet or still?

Not at all... DS has enabled some insanely good games that couldn't be done otherwise. Examples are Meteos, Elite Beat Agents, The World Ends With You, etc. Also, it helped keep 2d gaming afloat when everything seemed to be going 3d. Does it appeal to the mainstream? You betcha. But that doesn't stop it from having some games that will appeal to even the most 'hardcore' gamers. I don't see why a system can't have mainstream appeal while maintaining 'hardcore' games.

Also,
Ive given up on Nintendo they will never win the "console wars" again if they keep pitching to such a young audiance and dont come up with new franchises instead of rehashes o the same old games.

Haha, I would have been somewhat inclined to agree but damn. They're making a killing this generation and winning on both fronts (sales wise).
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 08:45:25 PM »

Haha, I would have been somewhat inclined to agree but damn. They're making a killing this generation and winning on both fronts (sales wise).
Sure, they're collecting a boatload of cash, but that doesn't instantly make you win this generation. I'm sure most (non-casual) gamers would agree this generation is still up for grabs for either Microsoft or Sony. It'll depend on the couple of years ahead who'll win.

(But looking at it purely financially, Nintendo is doing excellent of course)
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 09:47:23 PM »

Sure, they're collecting a boatload of cash, but that doesn't instantly make you win this generation. I'm sure most (non-casual) gamers would agree this generation is still up for grabs for either Microsoft or Sony. It'll depend on the couple of years ahead who'll win.

(But looking at it purely financially, Nintendo is doing excellent of course)

What do you define winning as? Because Nintendo is not only going to win financially, but it has a huge lead for amount of hardware sold.  So if you say it doesnt win when it makes the most money and sells the most units it kinda sounds like your cherry picking.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 11:02:02 AM »

What do you define winning as? Because Nintendo is not only going to win financially, but it has a huge lead for amount of hardware sold.  So if you say it doesnt win when it makes the most money and sells the most units it kinda sounds like your cherry picking.
To me, having the largest line-up of good games makes a console a winner. 10000 shovelware games and 10 good games still only make for 10 games. Wink (These numbers are made up and solely to give an example)

The fact that all the non-gamers in the world are suddenly buying Wii's and DS's doesn't make Nintendo a winner imo. The Wii is a huge hype right now in the non-gamer world. Next generation might be like the GameCube generation again for Nintendo, who knows. I find the GameCube and Wii about equally good, yet the GameCube finished last, last generation and the Wii first this? I don't agree with that at all.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 11:04:00 AM by Sirgin » Logged
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 04:13:59 PM »

You may not agree with it, but by the time the Wii slows down the "next gen" consoles will of been replaced by "next next gen consoles". It has already been years and while the Wii wasn't for everyone it has proven it is for most. Hell it even made a world record. Wii Sports is now the best selling game of all time.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 04:44:54 PM »

Wii Sports is now the best selling game of all time.
That's just a shame.

If I'd have to pick a Wii game for best selling game of all time, it'd be Super Mario Galaxy.
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 07:39:01 PM »

Oh man! Cobra has a TWEWY avatar! Yesssssssssssssss!

*sorry this has nothing to do with this topic*
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »

Oh man! Cobra has a TWEWY avatar! Yesssssssssssssss!
Yep Smiley I have seen a lot of games that grabbed my attention for the DS but finally a game I absolutely have to own a DS for. So before long I'll be a DS owner. Smiley

*sorry this has nothing to do with this topic*
I don't know about that. We are talking about the DS after all.

Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 10:13:03 PM »

Yep Smiley I have seen a lot of games that grabbed my attention for the DS but finally a game I absolutely have to own a DS for. So before long I'll be a DS owner. Smiley

All I'm going to say is it is insanely good. I don't want to reveal everything I'm going to say about it (I have to keep some stuff in the review a surprise), but I will say I enjoyed it immensely during a time where I wasn't really enjoying videogames as much as I used to.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 11:08:15 PM »

Thanks Shimra. I really can't wait to play this and probably haven't looked forward to getting a game this much since the Dreamcast.

Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 12:27:24 AM »

I'll give you one bit of advice- take your time and have fun as you go through the game. There are no random battles so technically you could blow through the story only doing the necessary battles, but I'd really suggest just taking your time and experimenting around with all the different things the game has to offer. The game's as fun as you want it to be-- but do note that if you don't like the battle system you won't like this game nearly as much.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 12:31:30 AM by Shimra » Logged
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 07:31:07 AM »

Seeing the slogan survive 7 days I had a feeling that may be the case but thanks for confirming that Shimra. As it'll be my only game I'll be sure to make it last and truly enjoy it.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 08:43:39 AM »

I'll give you one bit of advice- take your time and have fun as you go through the game. There are no random battles so technically you could blow through the story only doing the necessary battles, but I'd really suggest just taking your time and experimenting around with all the different things the game has to offer. The game's as fun as you want it to be-- but do note that if you don't like the battle system you won't like this game nearly as much.
Maybe I need to check out that game, seems interesting.
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 12:21:20 PM »

Seeing the slogan survive 7 days I had a feeling that may be the case but thanks for confirming that Shimra. As it'll be my only game I'll be sure to make it last and truly enjoy it.

Don't worry, there's over 100 sidequests.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 04:13:57 PM »

Don't worry, there's over 100 sidequests.
I can tell I'm really gonna love this game. Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length