RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2024, 07:16:24 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The gaming diary 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 397 Print
Author Topic: The gaming diary  (Read 1007450 times)
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1275 on: February 20, 2007, 11:45:58 AM »

I played the Crackdown demo yesterday but didn't think much of it. It's an awful lot like True Crime set in the future with cel-shaded graphics. I think I'll pass on that one until it's cheap.

I've been playing more Half Life 2. When do I know if I'm near the end? I've been playing it on and off since September 2005 and I still haven't finished it. At points it seems like it's rounding up but then there's yet another complication and another diversion to get somewhere else. I spent too much time concentrating on it because after two hours I stopped for a break to take the dogs out and I couldn't focus my eyes on anything. Undecided
Ando
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #1276 on: February 20, 2007, 12:32:40 PM »

I've still been playing Pokemon FireRed, trying to breed a freaking Chansey with a Calm nature. RAWRG

I've also been playing LEGO Star Wars for the Xbox since my dad recently got a 360. It's pretty sweet. LEGO + Star Wars just makes sense.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #1277 on: February 20, 2007, 01:24:43 PM »

@ Tan and James,

A couple of questions:
1. When you guys were playing the demo, did you go after the green and blue "orbs" to upgrade your character's abilities along the way, or did you pretty much just shoot and drive? And I think that if I didn't seek orbs out, I'd agree that the demo would be kind of "meh". Orb hunting was definitely part of the fun for me.

2. If you have experience with the GTA games, what makes them a better game? For me, I never really had the patience for them because it seemed that there was always a mission that you "had" to do to move the story along, whereas Crackdown's approach is that it can be more of a sandbox/playground for you to utilize and be creative with (some of the videos people have put online are hilarious!) as a fun diversion. Everything that you destroy or kill stays there, which you can further manipulate for your own ends.

I guess what I'm saying is that it seems like it's more relaxed in its approach than a game like GTA. And that's maybe why I'm finding it's straightforwardness appealing.

Your thoughts?

Tan
« Reply #1278 on: February 20, 2007, 01:50:58 PM »

Everything looks the same even the badguys, even with upgrades other than the speed cars handle pretty much the same as buses. Groups of gang members every 50 feet that all looks alike. Upgrades allow for faster gameplay and more destruction, but you can ram a bus into another car and do the same thing as if you threw it.

I had fun with it for at least 15 minutes, but it wasn't good enough for me to even finish the demo. If I was into buying downloaded games this would be a worthy purchase as a Live game at their prices. I'm not a GTA fan either and I'm sure Saints Row is prob a better game for this genre anyway, at least it looks next gen.
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1279 on: February 20, 2007, 01:56:26 PM »

@ Tan and James,

A couple of questions:
1. When you guys were playing the demo, did you go after the green and blue "orbs" to upgrade your character's abilities along the way, or did you pretty much just shoot and drive? And I think that if I didn't seek orbs out, I'd agree that the demo would be kind of "meh". Orb hunting was definitely part of the fun for me.

I did go for the orbs but to be honest I didn't spend much time on it because I had other things on my mind, and I was in a general can't-be-arsed mood. I was going to get back to it today but played Half Life 2 instead.

2. If you have experience with the GTA games, what makes them a better game? For me, I never really had the patience for them because it seemed that there was always a mission that you "had" to do to move the story along, whereas Crackdown's approach is that it can be more of a sandbox/playground for you to utilize and be creative with (some of the videos people have put online are hilarious!) as a fun diversion. Everything that you destroy or kill stays there, which you can further manipulate for your own ends.

I guess what I'm saying is that it seems like it's more relaxed in its approach than a game like GTA. And that's maybe why I'm finding it's straightforwardness appealing.

Your thoughts?
I like GTA because of its storyline. It has humour, some subtle, some in your face. You could go on a killing spree or do side missions if you didn't feel like doing the story, although you had to do the story to unlock more things.

Like I said, I didn't spend too much time on it and my first impressions were that it was like True Crime, which I've got bad memories of. When I say I'll wait for it to be "cheap" I mean anywhere under £25 if it really gets me interested. Xbox 360 prices are finally coming down but they're still around £35 new online. Although, I've not spent more than £30 on a 360 game.

I'll go play on it in a minute, or after dinner.

Edit: I've played it for a bit longer. It's fun but it doesn't seem to have the substance of GTA. I gave up when I got to one of the "bosses" for the fourth time only to be blown two miles away by a grenade for the fourth time.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 03:16:22 PM by James » Logged
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1280 on: February 20, 2007, 03:52:09 PM »

I have friends who never liked GTA, but that's only because they sucked and couldn't beat the missions...

When shall his new form be revealed?
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #1281 on: February 20, 2007, 04:40:04 PM »

Well, I picked up my copy of Crackdown at lunch today. Looking forward to playing it tonight or tomorrow.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1282 on: February 20, 2007, 04:54:30 PM »

Well, I picked up my copy of Crackdown at lunch today. Looking forward to playing it tonight or tomorrow.

That's because you are a big dumb Xbox fanboy!!!!!! Wink

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #1283 on: February 21, 2007, 08:22:13 AM »

That is SO unfair! Cool

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1284 on: February 21, 2007, 10:26:45 AM »

Over seventeen months and three computers I've finally finished Half Life 2. It took me long enough. I like how the scenery changes so drastically but it's all linked together with no blackouts or cutscenes that take you half way around the world.

Good game.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1285 on: February 21, 2007, 02:25:41 PM »

Dig Dug, Pac Man and Night Stalker all for the Intellivision.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1286 on: February 22, 2007, 12:22:33 PM »

Astro Warrior - SMS

Night Stalker & Demon Attack - Intellivision

PSU- Xbox 360

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1287 on: February 22, 2007, 02:00:14 PM »

Started back into the PvP in WoW with Alterac Valley. I've currently got 1 win and...22 losses. Alliance sucks, I can join a game halfway through and by the end be in first place on my team.

With our one win it was kickass cause I killed their general, we were about to wipe, he had like no health left and was chasing me around. I vanished, he turned and went after the last hunter in the room and I one/two ambushed and back-stabbed him FTW.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1288 on: February 22, 2007, 02:11:21 PM »

Sounds like it is fun to play at the Alliance in PvP.  Undecided

Why is it so unbalanced?

OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1289 on: February 22, 2007, 02:31:12 PM »

Arari 2600 last night.

I recently learned that the Genesis and 2600 controllers not only have the same plugs, but are actually interchangeable. 

ET and Pac Man are the two games I love to hate.  So I tried them out.  I still hate them both, but I actually found a phone piece for the first time in my life.  And I've been hating this game for over 15 years now... about as long as I've been gaming.  I want to beat it someday, though the game was still a rushed production. 

To ease my mind a bit I also tried Berserk and Jungle hunt, two of my favorites.

I also tried the 2600 controller at Sonic 1 on the genesis.  It actually works!  All you need to do is swap the controllers after you've gotten past the start screen.  The 'B' button is the same as the 'fire' button on the 2600.  Better yet, I was talking to Tondog on the telephone at the time, and I found it was possible to play sonic with only one hand.

it's thinking
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 397 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length