RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2024, 03:14:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The gaming diary 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 397 Print
Author Topic: The gaming diary  (Read 995712 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #2955 on: August 01, 2008, 07:27:22 AM »

I have that too. With certain games, once you pauze them, you're basically lost. Because the second it takes to regain concentration after putting it back on, is often already fatal. Sad
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2956 on: August 01, 2008, 12:27:49 PM »

PixelJunk Eden on the PS3. Games like these are the reason why I prefer PSN over Xbox Live. I've never played anything like it.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2957 on: August 01, 2008, 01:15:19 PM »

More SMCR on the 360. Got my win on Emporer with Germany. Now I'm attempting to get the achievement to win the game without changing governments...not so easy...I got clobbered. I figured Greece would be the best to use because of the Democracy bonuses to gold and science production, but I was stuck between India and Britain on the map and didn't get a galley when I needed to.

Tondog
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2958 on: August 01, 2008, 01:46:05 PM »

I really should try that Civ Rev demo out. I keep hearing not only you, but all sorts of people praising it.

Also, Phoenix, your user title on RFG right now is Playstation.  laugh   Tongue
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 01:53:36 PM by Tondog » Logged

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2959 on: August 01, 2008, 02:07:50 PM »

I really should try that Civ Rev demo out. I keep hearing not only you, but all sorts of people praising it.

Once you play the demo, you're going to want the full game. And then good luck getting sleep...it's ridiculously addictive. I think a lot has to do with the fact that Sid designed it specifically for the consoles and that you can play a full game in roughly 4 hours (or less if you're Civ-savvy). The replay value is also very high, since no 2 game maps are the same and the achievements are set up to encourage playing through each of the 16 Civs.

Also, Phoenix, your user title on RFG right now is Playstation.  laugh   Tongue

That is funny. I still have my PS2...but not a lot of games for it. I've got a long way to go as a "Playstation" before I level up again at 3000. Oh well. Undecided

Tondog
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2960 on: August 01, 2008, 03:17:53 PM »

Once you play the demo, you're going to want the full game. And then good luck getting sleep...it's ridiculously addictive. I think a lot has to do with the fact that Sid designed it specifically for the consoles and that you can play a full game in roughly 4 hours (or less if you're Civ-savvy). The replay value is also very high, since no 2 game maps are the same and the achievements are set up to encourage playing through each of the 16 Civs.
At least I don't have to worry about the achievement part since the PS3 edition doesn't have support for trophies, and  I don't think 2K is going to go back and add trophy support to their old games.

I'll try the demo out and let you know what I think of it. Since I'm a Civ newbie, I might have some questions too. Cheesy

Follow me on Twitter
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2961 on: August 01, 2008, 03:24:38 PM »

^This is my first experience with a Civ game as well. Imo, Civ Rev is just streamlined enough to keep it interesting, strategic, and fun...yet without the level of micromanagement found in the Civ PC games.

Imo, Civ Rev is the way it SHOULD be done.

And yeah, feel free if you have questions.

DuncanR2N
N-Gage
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2962 on: August 01, 2008, 06:52:34 PM »

Well I've played the PC versions alot, and after trying the demo on the PS3 I was a little dissappointed with it due to the same reasons that phoenix likes it.  It felt a bit simplified.  HOWEVER, and this is important, for console only players, I think it's about as good an implementation of the game that could be done on the console without completely overburding the gamepad.  Civ is a very mouse click intensive game and for those civ players that really dig tweaking every little last thing (for example, I never used the city management tools, call me a masochist, but I micro everything) then the PC versions are probably more for you.  But that's not for everyone, and this implementation is quite good with a very intuitive control scheme for gamepads.

Silent Scythe
TurboGrafx-16
United States

Stats
« Reply #2963 on: August 02, 2008, 08:14:47 AM »

Been Playing Soul Calibur IV. I feel I may hen a bit too excited for this game. Story mode is a bit too short and not very... well... story like. If this turns out to be the last game in the series they didn't give the characters very good send off. Online play is alright but I'm not to into online play. The Create a soul mode it pretty nice too but you cant make an original character based off any of the guest characters (I'm not 100% sure of this, if anyone else knows how to let me know.) And the Tower mode is pretty nice, it gives you something else to do with all your custom characters.
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2964 on: August 02, 2008, 10:09:36 AM »

Played more Civ Rev and the Too Human Demo last night.

I actually like Too Human. The controls take a little getting used to, and the camera, but as long as you use the left bumper to recenter, the camera isn't a problem. I like the idea of the other parallel realm. And the skill tree looks very well thought out. A challenging game for sure. I'll pick this one up eventually. 

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2965 on: August 04, 2008, 08:01:31 AM »

More Civ Rev. Finished 2nd using Rome on Emporer Difficulty. I'm trying to get the achievement where you win without changing governments.

Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2966 on: August 04, 2008, 09:06:13 AM »

My son made me play Ford vs. Chevy with him.  One of the worst racing games I have played.

logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2967 on: August 04, 2008, 10:05:53 AM »

My son made me play Ford vs. Chevy with him.  One of the worst racing games I have played.

Yes, yes it is. Sad

Tell me about your variants...
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #2968 on: August 04, 2008, 10:41:06 AM »

With your vast videogame knowledge, I'm sure you can persuade him into playing a better racing game Wink
hXd
Algebraic!
SNES
United States

Stats
« Reply #2969 on: August 04, 2008, 01:55:30 PM »

I started LocoRoco on the way down to GA a few days ago, and I'm sad I didn't start playing it sooner. A great title that I'm sure I will be spending many hours on in the not too distant future.

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 397 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length