RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 19, 2024, 02:21:03 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The gaming diary 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 397 Print
Author Topic: The gaming diary  (Read 995966 times)
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2880 on: July 12, 2008, 05:20:38 PM »

I always loved the Tenchu series, even if it is mildly ridiculous.

When shall his new form be revealed?
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2881 on: July 13, 2008, 10:25:17 AM »

Windows is like the sports car you pay big cash for but have no access to hand's on as far as customization or tuning. Lots of options and features but little in the way of true performance. Linux is like the kit car or bare bones sports model you put together that requires a lot of hard work to master, but that tradeoff is price, performance and total control over customization and tweaking right down to every nut and bolt, or in this case the command line level.

With a distro like Ubuntu, you can extend the life of an older PC or laptop because it doesn't eat system resources like Windows does. It's not meant as a replacement for OSX or Windows, it's like the "soy" or "low fat" alternative that represents a challenge to experienced PC users wanting more control over their desktops or to circumvent the hurdles placed on PCs by hardware/software makers. It's also a place of development and experimentation of new ways of doing things. On a scale of 1-10, Ubuntu's user friendliness compared to other distros is definately a 10, but it doesn't have quite the same level of advanced control others do. Like an entry level version of Linux for those dipping their toes into the DIY pool. As you learn and grow, you move onto one of the other hundreds of distros for more specialized and better equipped distros to tackle your tasks. Gaming isn't a priority for linux and I doubt it ever will. Home networking, education and security with users in control are the main goals the community strives for. Putting computing back in the hands of the end user.

It's also a way for the small fish to develop tools and apps that can compete with the big corporations. To a PC enthusiast, making something difficult run under Linux IS part of the fun and success or failure you've learned something new either way. No different than someone who enjoys building/fixing cars or woodworking for example. The end result is only half the fun, the other half is getting there.

I know that sounds like a lame sales pitch or something but that's really what it's all about. It carries on the fun of computing like it was back in the 80's when every Joe/Jane Schmoe could code his/her own programs, games and a multitude of other fun things. That's why the C64, Amiga and other older platforms still enjoy popularity today. Linux is like an X86 extension of that hobby. Smiley

I just want to click on something and have it work.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2882 on: July 13, 2008, 01:16:26 PM »

Been playing

Mercury Meltdown Revolution (3 or 4 levels in)
Smash Bros. Brawl (got almost all the unlockables. Doubt i am close on trophies or stickers though)
Wii Fit (pretty fun got most everything opened up in it. try to do at least a few hours a week)

I'm hopefully going to try out Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 tonight. I picked it up for 20$s at walmart a couple days ago. I don't know if that is a real price drop or just their booboo but i wasn't going to pass it up Wink

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #2883 on: July 13, 2008, 06:13:32 PM »

Windows is like the sports car you pay big cash for but have no access to hand's on as far as customization or tuning. Lots of options and features but little in the way of true performance. Linux is like the kit car or bare bones sports model you put together that requires a lot of hard work to master, but that tradeoff is price, performance and total control over customization and tweaking right down to every nut and bolt, or in this case the command line level.

With a distro like Ubuntu, you can extend the life of an older PC or laptop because it doesn't eat system resources like Windows does. It's not meant as a replacement for OSX or Windows, it's like the "soy" or "low fat" alternative that represents a challenge to experienced PC users wanting more control over their desktops or to circumvent the hurdles placed on PCs by hardware/software makers. It's also a place of development and experimentation of new ways of doing things. On a scale of 1-10, Ubuntu's user friendliness compared to other distros is definately a 10, but it doesn't have quite the same level of advanced control others do. Like an entry level version of Linux for those dipping their toes into the DIY pool. As you learn and grow, you move onto one of the other hundreds of distros for more specialized and better equipped distros to tackle your tasks. Gaming isn't a priority for linux and I doubt it ever will. Home networking, education and security with users in control are the main goals the community strives for. Putting computing back in the hands of the end user.

It's also a way for the small fish to develop tools and apps that can compete with the big corporations. To a PC enthusiast, making something difficult run under Linux IS part of the fun and success or failure you've learned something new either way. No different than someone who enjoys building/fixing cars or woodworking for example. The end result is only half the fun, the other half is getting there.

I know that sounds like a lame sales pitch or something but that's really what it's all about. It carries on the fun of computing like it was back in the 80's when every Joe/Jane Schmoe could code his/her own programs, games and a multitude of other fun things. That's why the C64, Amiga and other older platforms still enjoy popularity today. Linux is like an X86 extension of that hobby. Smiley

You should be using a Mac then Wink
(My annoyance with Linux is also how fiddly it is)

Actually I think while Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 isn't quite that cheap yet, it is pretty close. Even here in Australia it is something like $29-$39

Played the WarCraft board game with my brothers last night.. great fun but be sure to have a lot of free time on the day, it has a HUGE learning curve, and the game takes a long time to play.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2884 on: July 13, 2008, 08:12:47 PM »

You should be using a Mac then Wink
(My annoyance with Linux is also how fiddly it is)

Actually I think while Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 isn't quite that cheap yet, it is pretty close. Even here in Australia it is something like $29-$39

Played the WarCraft board game with my brothers last night.. great fun but be sure to have a lot of free time on the day, it has a HUGE learning curve, and the game takes a long time to play.

Macs are so dumbed down I get infuriated every time I use one for anything besides web-browsing.

Tan
« Reply #2885 on: July 14, 2008, 10:31:10 AM »

I played the Too Human demo on the X360. Meh. After 40-45 minutes of button mashing waves of identical enemies and sitting through boring cutscenes I shut it off.

The control style is good, reminds me of Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict, but the camera sucks ass. I hated having to run around in circles to see if I had missed anything or to find other enemies not in my direct vicinity. Or in combat how the camera can get stuck in certain places and the enemy your fighting has to be rendered transparent so you can see what your doing behind it. Had a few features taken from other games like the one button action sequences when your fighting large enemies similar to of God of War which wasn't too bad. The upgrade/leveling system works well and allows a bit of customization, the story presented in the demo was boring and I'm not sure I like the idea of the whole Norse mythology steeped in cybertech thing.

All in all it was just a bit too repetitive and boring. I hope for their sake this demo is a poor example of the final game.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2886 on: July 15, 2008, 02:55:15 AM »

Playing some Republic Commando. Game is hard as hell but not really fun like MoH was. Not sure if I'll stick with it.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2887 on: July 15, 2008, 09:09:29 AM »

More Sid Meier Civilization Revolution. Started up a new game on King difficulty with the Aztec civ.

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2888 on: July 16, 2008, 09:24:22 AM »

Got my ass handed to me the 1st few attempts on King level. Learning from my mistakes, though, since in my current game I'm getting close to the Tech lead towards the end of the Midieval Age/start of the Industrial. I could use 1 more city and navigation, though.

Game Freak
N-Gage
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2889 on: July 16, 2008, 11:18:45 AM »

I went crazy insane on tetris attack last night.  I was trying to beat Hardest Difficulty.  I beat koopa in 31 seconds and kamek in 15 seconds, suprisingly.  Unfortunately i did not catch this on tape.  All i got was the end of it.  I DID get me beating Bowser in TWENTY EIGHT SECONDS!  im happy Cheesy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=24me98MX9HQ
yay

[img width=500 height=150]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f266/gamefreak360/siggies/GFN3.png[/img]
Consoles on my Wishlist:
Commodore 64      Sega CD     Sega Dreamcast
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2890 on: July 18, 2008, 09:56:49 AM »

More Sid Meier Civ Rev. Got my first win on King difficulty last night...on the very last turn, no less.

James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2891 on: July 18, 2008, 10:50:25 AM »

Lots more GTAIV.

Today I set a high score in Qubed and just faffed around doing bits on the side. The missions are getting a bit boring because they're just constantly shooting different people. There's no variety in the combat.

I might dig my PS2 out later and put God of War 2 in. But that's a big might.
logical123
Variant Addict
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2892 on: July 18, 2008, 11:11:17 AM »

Played some Megaman X today on the SNES. Wow... I really do suck at video games. I beat chill penguin, then died at the next boss i fought, armored armadillo. But, it was fun!! Maybe someday I'll get around to beating Megaman X. Maybe...  ninja

Tell me about your variants...
Silent Scythe
TurboGrafx-16
United States

Stats
« Reply #2893 on: July 18, 2008, 11:54:43 AM »

Worked on Twilight Princess some more, got through the Cave of Ordeals and I'm going to go assemble the mirror tomorrow. I might work on Final Fantasy Tactics today too I'm almost done with thane too.
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #2894 on: July 18, 2008, 12:59:38 PM »

Played some Megaman X today on the SNES. Wow... I really do suck at video games. I beat chill penguin, then died at the next boss i fought, armored armadillo. But, it was fun!! Maybe someday I'll get around to beating Megaman X. Maybe...  ninja

I'm worse than you at Mega Man games. I promise. I'm atrocious.

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 397 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length