RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 19, 2024, 02:23:32 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | The gaming diary 0 Members and 10 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 397 Print
Author Topic: The gaming diary  (Read 996277 times)
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2700 on: April 28, 2008, 07:52:34 AM »

Played Stubbs The Zombie this weekend.  Decent game with some of the look and feel of Bioshock.

Huh? When I played Bioshock, I didn't correlate it to StZ at ALL!

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2701 on: April 28, 2008, 10:18:03 AM »

Played Stubbs The Zombie this weekend.  Decent game with some of the look and feel of Bioshock.

Huh? When I played Bioshock, I didn't correlate it to StZ at ALL!

Same here. How in the world is it like Stubbs? The tone of those two games are completely opposite.

Anyways, I've been playing Metal Gear Online a lot lately. It really exceeded my expectations...mainly because I'm actually good at it. Smiley

I'm also working my way through Metal Gear Solid 1. I'm still on the first disc (sadly), but I hope I can beat it soon so that I can stay on track to my goal of beating MGS1-3 before 4 comes out in June.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2702 on: April 28, 2008, 10:30:34 AM »

I'm referring to the 50's and 60's vibe of the game.  This great city in stubbs, This great city in bio-shock both with similar designs in the architecture.  Both have a feel of that era, plus cutscenes and music that matches.  They are completely different games but the look of stubbs reminded me of bioshock.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:32:56 AM by Ghost Soldier » Logged

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #2703 on: April 28, 2008, 10:36:05 AM »

The original Metal Gear Solid is pure gold.
Haven't played the rest, was content enough with the 1st.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2704 on: April 28, 2008, 01:32:53 PM »

Been playing Jaws: Unleashed...really weird, pretty sloppy too. Like Grand Theft Jaws with stupid gimmicks and crappy controls.

When shall his new form be revealed?
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2705 on: April 29, 2008, 06:49:13 AM »

Checked out the X-Play special for GTA 4 last night. It's looking awesome! Of course they gave it a 5/5.

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2706 on: April 29, 2008, 08:10:19 AM »

Checked out the X-Play special for GTA 4 last night. It's looking awesome! Of course they gave it a 5/5.
I think you mean a five......

...out of five.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2707 on: April 29, 2008, 01:24:26 PM »

...out of five.

i lol'd

When shall his new form be revealed?
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2708 on: April 30, 2008, 06:20:25 AM »

Started playing GTA4 on the 360 last night. Cool

The city looks amazing! The controls take some getting used to, but overall I'm liking it. This could lead to some late gaming nights...  insomnia

Sprite
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #2709 on: April 30, 2008, 06:05:15 PM »

Been playing PGR3 mostly, I just can't get enough of it. I Bronzed everything today and am now trying Gold.

I've also just got to Mushroom Rock Road on my new Final Fantasy X file. It's a lot easier with the standard sphere grid.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #2710 on: April 30, 2008, 09:30:02 PM »

...out of five.

i lol'd
Same. It's one of those funny cause it's true moments Smiley

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2711 on: May 02, 2008, 08:21:03 AM »

More GTA4 last night. Definitely played too much...

Funny thing: Found a shotgun in the strip club. Since I didn't realize right away that I could conceal it, I was walking around with it in the open and strippers were running out of the club in a panic.

When you start getting into it, this is an AWESOME game! It just takes a little patience to get through the intro stuff in the early missions and to develop new contacts.

Silent Scythe
TurboGrafx-16
United States

Stats
« Reply #2712 on: May 02, 2008, 08:26:55 AM »

I put down Rondo of Swords for a while (its frustrating me to no end) and started The World Ends With You yesterday. Very nice so far.  Cheesy
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2713 on: May 02, 2008, 08:38:14 AM »

I've been doing a lot of waiting in the car so I've been making my way through Zelda: The Minish Cap. I'm near the end now. It's been good fun, a lot like Phantom Hourglass.

I've put about 13 hours into GTA IV now. It's hard to say where I am because you can choose who to do missions with so it's going to be a bit different for different people. Phoenix - Do you see what I mean when I said it's slow to get going? They spent a lot of time telling you about what you can do and how to do it, which was getting a bit dull but then I realised the action had started and I was getting into the story. I love how it has little details, like the dripping sound of air conditioning or other fluids from outside a stopped car.

Sure, it's the most over hyped game ever ever ever, but that doesn't stop it being a great game. Apart from a few trailers and some instore posters, I don't think it's actually had any direct advertising. It's sold off its own momentum and the hype of its fans. It would be interesting to see sales figures for the first day/week.

Edit: Crikey!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 08:49:08 AM by James » Logged
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2714 on: May 02, 2008, 09:05:53 AM »

I've put about 13 hours into GTA IV now. It's hard to say where I am because you can choose who to do missions with so it's going to be a bit different for different people. Phoenix - Do you see what I mean when I said it's slow to get going? They spent a lot of time telling you about what you can do and how to do it, which was getting a bit dull but then I realised the action had started and I was getting into the story. I love how it has little details, like the dripping sound of air conditioning or other fluids from outside a stopped car.

Sure, it's the most over hyped game ever ever ever, but that doesn't stop it being a great game. Apart from a few trailers and some instore posters, I don't think it's actually had any direct advertising. It's sold off its own momentum and the hype of its fans. It would be interesting to see sales figures for the first day/week.
Edit: Crikey!

I agree that it is a little slow to get going. But as a newcomer to the series, I'm glad that they have the info about what to do and how to do it. I'm at about the 5 hour mark now. The more missions you take on, though, and contacts you keep building relationships with, the more the game opens up. The writing and story has also been solid thus far...gotta love the humor too.

And yeah, all the little details, both visually and auditory, are incredible! Something as simple as taking a cab or subway ride is a testament to that beyond the mission-based stuff. And the music variety is also handled well...it's EVERYWHERE! As far as graphics, the only places they sacrificed somewhat imo is in the character models, which for this game is no big deal. But effects like rain, shadowing, the changes in time of day, etc...outstanding!

I don't consider it to be overhyped, but I agree that despite the hype it's received, it is an excellent game. Also, I think the lack of in-game advertising is to it's benefit. All the ad-based or commercial stuff I've seen so far has been fictionalized. And it's been said that it may actually be controversial to real-world companies if they were to advertize in a GTA game...they may just not WANT that kind of attention. Who knows?

Looking forward to playing some more. Cool
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 09:07:36 AM by phoenix1967 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 397 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length