RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2024, 12:12:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | Odyssey Game finds! 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Odyssey Game finds!  (Read 1754 times)
bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« on: July 22, 2006, 09:43:35 AM »

A lunchtime visit yesterday to the local Salvation Army yielded a copy of Super Monaco GP for Genesis (in the box for $1.99).  So I was happily walking up to the register with my score and as I was passing a set of shelves filled with misc. plates and cups, something on the bottom shelf caught my eye.  It was a plain brown box with no visible writing on it, but the flap was half open and I somehow spotted the word "Odyssey"  Upon further inspection it was found to contain six neatly packed Odyssey games (for the original Odyssey not Odyssey 2!! Here's what it looks like http://www.magnavox-odyssey.com/1972%20games.htm )

There was a problem, no price tag.  That can be a big problem because sometimes the cashier will refuse to sell things without prices and then you have to come back after it's priced (I figured that would be bad because they may investigate what exactly they had.)  The other option is they already know what they have and will price it way out of my range (the one time I saw an Odyssey system in the wide was at an estate sale but they had $400 price tag on it)  Turns out the cashier just asked what it was, I said it was a box of old games, she said OK how does $4.99 sound.  Once I came to I paid her and was on my way.

The games are Baseball, Volleyball, Handball, Wipeout, Invasion, and Fun Zoo.  Everything is in great shape, having them kept in the original box has helped with that.   The only writting on the box is the address of a local department store that I am sure would have carried these back in the day.  I will get some pictures and/or scans up tonight but for those that don't know these games all came with many pieces such as game boards, decks of cards, score cards, markers, dice, etc.  Each game also came with two color overlays (for 12" and 19" TV's I think)  that you put on your  B&W TV to play.  (I guess one of the rarest items to have with an Odyssey system is the roll of scotch tape that came with it to attach the overlays!)  Most of these games don't even have a game cartridge with them they use one of the 6 pack-in carts that came with the system.  Volleyball does come with cart #7 and Handball with cart #8.  DP lists these all as R5 or R6 with loose prices from 25 to 40 dollars each, not sure how accurate that is  (I didn't see any on ebay) but I would guess being CIB would add to the value as would being a complete set with the outside box.

It's days like this that keep me going back!

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 10:22:16 AM »

Jesus thats one hell of a find.

ganonbanned
Nintendo 64
United States
Awards: The RFG Kid

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 11:08:37 AM »

great find
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 08:09:35 AM »

way to go! I love those "something caught my eye" finds. looking forward to seeing some pictures.

UNFORGIVINGPAIN
Donor
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 09:19:43 AM »

nice score! my local Salvation Army never has anything cool.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length