RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 10:23:05 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | ? about submitting game information 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ? about submitting game information  (Read 2330 times)
Kevincal
Donor
United States
Awards: RFG Promoter

Stats

Champion of

« on: July 17, 2006, 11:59:46 PM »

The disclaimer at the bottom of the submission page says not to use ANY sources besides yourself.  I was wondering how strictly you wanted to enforce that as I have a hard time thinking up my own overviews without glancing at the back of the box to get some ideas.  Also, what about easter eggs?  Is it not ok to do a search and copy and paste cheats and codes?  Dozens of sites all have the same codes/cheats so I was just wondering.

Cherish the most important things in life, your health & family.
AndyC
RFG Friend
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 03:03:36 AM »

For overviews I have been copying exactly what it states on the back of the box and indicating that I have done so, for example:
http://www.rfgeneration.c...l?ID=E-072-S-00130-A&
I feel this way it offers both an overview of the game whilst being true to what the original box said without filling it with opinion and bias as to whether you hate or love the game. (That can be covered in the review).
On a personal level I like to see the differences between the PAL box text and the NTSC box text as they sometimes can vary quite dramatically.

The thing with taking information and work from other sites take in both copyright issues and ethical values, as I know I wouldn't want someone copying my work for their own gain, when I'd spent hours doing it.

I don't really know the answer about the Easter Eggs though and I would leave it up to Tynstar to tell you the best way of doing that.
Kevincal
Donor
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 10:29:56 AM »

Ok that makes sense.  Thanks.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 12:17:56 PM »

Overviews can be copied from the back of the box. Easter eggs should be OK to copy from somewhere since they are all over the place.

Scans and reviews are different. We dont want people stealing images or reviews. We don't want this monthe EGM reviews typed up and submitted.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 02:57:35 PM »

I would like to say you don't have to copy/paste easter eggs/cheats either.

You can copy/paste then write it up in your own words.

Just like a school assignment Wink

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 03:09:02 PM »

up down up down cant really be written any other way.

Kevincal
Donor
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 05:10:38 PM »

lol.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 09:12:31 PM »

Just think of it this way: If you think RF Generation could be sued for what you are submitting, then it probably is not a good idea to submit it. Also, while it is acceptable to take Easter Eggs and Trivia from other sites please be sure to put it in your own words. Do not in any circumstance cut and paste anything from anyother site or media outlet, that is just grounds for a lawsuit, and we just don't want that.

So, things that are acceptable to submit if the data is from another site, so long as it is in your own words:
Trivia
Easter Eggs
Game Credits

Things that are unacceptable to be copied from another site at all:
Overviews (copying the back of the box is okay so long as it is said that it is from the back of the box)
Reviews
Scans 
Extra Media
FAQs

Things that well, are pretty hard to copy:
Related Games
Links

Hello World.
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 11:42:01 PM »

I find that when I do Overviews, I may take what is from the back of the box. BUT I may change the words a bit, and also add a bit of my own experience to it Wink

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length