RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2024, 11:19:52 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Game Genre's 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Game Genre's  (Read 1214 times)
Tan
« on: June 29, 2006, 06:30:56 AM »

i've got a few ideas for new genre's to add to the database, some games just don't fit any of the ones listed. a game like Pacman for example could go under a genre like "Maze" or "coin-op port" since action/adventure really doesn't suit it well

other ones i was thinking of are "FPS" "Platformer" and "Space shooter" which could distinguish the difference between a game like asteroids or space hawk and desert strike for example.

Cool
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 12:20:43 PM »

Those are good ideas but we have so many Action/Adventure games now it would be crazy to change them all.

Platformer makes sense to me because it is more or less a major genre all on its own. A platformer can even have its own subgenres beyond the 2D or 3D Platformer distinction.

The other two ehh...
I think having Shooter as a major genre and then FPS or Space Shooter and what not as a sub genre still works fine.

Shooters are harder to break up more because there are alot of games, especially now, that are FPS/3rd Person. Hand to hand combat/vehicle combat all wrapped up into one nice little package.

Even the old shooters some people have classified as horizontal(or hori) and vertical shooter didn't necessarilly work.
Because some games may both modes(Abadox for NES for example)

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 12:30:30 PM »

I like the idea of a Platformer  genre. Like Anthony said I think we should keep it as shooter the use the sub genre.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length