RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 04:16:59 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | not enough pal games in the database 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: not enough pal games in the database  (Read 1987 times)
the_collector
Tiger Gizmondo

United Kingdom

Stats
« on: June 21, 2006, 07:47:12 AM »

pirate why is it so hard for me to find any pal games in the database when i want to add them to my collection like
Doom 3
grand theft auto: Lcs
grand theft auto SA

their are to many to list but please can we try to have the list updated with PAL games at the same time as NTSC GAMES
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 07:57:12 AM »

We've been holding off on personally adding PAL games to the database due to the current database system being somewhat restricted.  There are many different PAL regions and variants, and we (well, Eddie and possibly TraderJake Wink) are in the process of revamping the database to allow for many different regions.  Once that is in effect, we will have many of the PAL games added to the database in no time Wink

The plan was to get this done as soon as possible, but some other important issues arose, and the PAL update has been put somewhat on hold.  I'm sure that once the summer vacation kicks in for some of the staff, the PAL update will be taken care of in a timely fashion Wink  

By the way, you can add any missing PAL games in this thread:
http://www.rfgeneration.c...;num=1102736280;start=0#0
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 07:57:57 AM by Speedy_NES » Logged

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 05:00:34 PM »

If it's a PAL game that is pretty much the same throughout all of Europe, go ahead and submit it and it will get added by the staff.  If it is a game that has several different variations, it might have to wait a little while until we get the new system up for variants.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 05:25:37 PM »

By the way, you can add any missing PAL games in this thread:
http://www.rfgeneration.c...;num=1102736280;start=0#0

Please be sure to read the first post and submit the games in the proper format. This will help speed the process of adding the missing games.  Smiley

AndyC
RFG Friend
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 12:23:39 AM »

If it's a PAL game that is pretty much the same throughout all of Europe, go ahead and submit it and it will get added by the staff.  If it is a game that has several different variations, it might have to wait a little while until we get the new system up for variants.

How would you know if a game is the same throughout Europe? Surely each release in some of the major countries in Europe like the UK, Holland, Germany, France and Spain will all have minor variations such as text or titles on the boxes/ books due to the different languages spoken.

Also what will happen with all of the PAL games already in the database as these will not have been designated to being from a specific region when originally entered?

Also what regions/ variations would there be as there are quite a lot of countries in Europe (45 it seems when I googled it) so would each one of these have there own code?
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 03:45:58 AM »

How would you know if a game is the same throughout Europe? Surely each release in some of the major countries in Europe like the UK, Holland, Germany, France and Spain will all have minor variations such as text or titles on the boxes/ books due to the different languages spoken.

This will be based on what is documented, and I assume should be adaptable if needed.  You are correct that most consoles have multiple releases within Europe, especially all of the recent ones.  This does not make any PAL games/info/scans submitted to the current database obsolete, however, as it could all be transferred to the new system in pieces.  There are some consoles, though, that, as far as I know, have the same releases throughout Europe, such as some of the Sega consoles.  

Also what will happen with all of the PAL games already in the database as these will not have been designated to being from a specific region when originally entered?

These will be reentered if needed, with all of the proper credits transferred as well.  So all credits from game/info/scan/etc submissions will remain the same Smiley  The majority of European PAL games that have been submitted include the product numbers, which can usually be used to trace it to a specific region within Europe (there are other means as well, such as scans, etc).  It won't be easy, but it should be doable, and as far as I'm concerned is something that needs to be done.  It will take time to get it all in there, but it will allow much more flexibility for PAL collections and can be used to document regional variants, etc.  

I think that's all that I can answer for now, if I've made any incorrect assumptions, please feel free to correct me Eddie Wink

AndyC
RFG Friend
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 06:28:39 AM »

Pieter I was totally being the devils advocate, not being negative about anything, it just seems like a lot of work to split and categorize everything. Like the orginal poster said there aren't that many PAL games in the database compared to NTSC but its still a big task.

Another question what would happen with peoples collections like my own which is mainly UK released games and someone like Captain QB who I think is based in Finland. We could have two different variations of the game but will have both just have it as an entry in our collections.

Any way whenever you start with spiltting the PAL games down I will help were I can. Just give me a shout. I might get back to doing some scans as well soon still loads to get through there's just not enough hours in the day Smiley
Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 07:12:26 AM »

i thought most PAL games were nearly the same released throughout Europe.

Most Sega games have a Manuel in about 6 diffrent languages and Nintendo games did have the UKV or EUR code on them now they all have EUR.

AndyC
RFG Friend
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 08:19:48 AM »

Whilst most games will undoubtedly be released throughout Europe, we were concerned over variants, some games carry different box names and artwork dependent on where they were released.

Hopefully in the next few months we can set up a system to cover these regional/ country variants, and then I'll quickly fill the database with British releases for current gen/ next gen stuff. We just just need to bide our time for the next couple of months.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length