RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2024, 08:16:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | Finally found a CED player!! 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Finally found a CED player!!  (Read 8585 times)
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« on: June 18, 2006, 05:54:24 PM »

Yesterday a more than 2 year search for a CED player finally ended. At a thrift store I found an RCA Selectavision CED Videodisc player. It only cost me $8 bucks and works like a charm.

For those that don't know Videodisc is a movie format that uses a stylus like a record player to read the data. The movies come in these plastic caddies that look like huge floppy disks. They are roughly the size of a 33 1/3 LP.

You slide the plastic caddy into the player and a mechanism grabs the disc, then you remove the caddy and play the movie. A neat concept as you never have to physically handle the disc. You can't scratch it or get finger prints on it if you can't touch it. The movies are 2 sided like records and Laser Discs. Quality looked comparable to early VHS. Not a stellar movie format but an interesting curiosity. The belts and stylus on these things can go so finding one in working order is a challenge.

I've had about 15 movies for the thing for a couple of years but had never managed to find the player. I had one near miss about 2 years ago at a thrift. There was one in the donation bin but they would not sell it to me as it had not been priced. They wouldn't hold it for me either. I went back every day for a week and asked about it. No one could give me an answer and it never turned up on the shelf.

I'd looked at them on Ebay but was not willing to shell out $40 or $50 bucks for one. Plus it weighs a ton so shipping would be expensive.

I watched Clash of the Titans on mine last night and was pretty damn pleased.

Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 06:05:19 PM »

Congrats Den!  That is pretty exciting!

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 06:55:40 AM »

Damn, that's sweet!  I've never heard of the thing but I like the conecpt!

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 09:18:50 AM »

Damn that sounds cool!
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 11:29:55 AM »

Thats awesome!!!!

I think I have seen those movies at the thrigts from time to time. If I see any I will let you know.

Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 12:28:07 PM »

Sounds cool man - I think I saw a whole bunch of those 'tapes' at a flea market in California once...I remember wondering what the hell those were meant for Wink

Enjoy the rest of the tape movies Wink

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 07:24:58 AM »

I know there is a huge pile (40 to 50 I would guess) of videodisc movies at a local Goodwill (I believe they were CED not LaserDisc), not sure what the price of them is.  I believe the movies showing on the top were disney titles but I didn't look any further. Let me know if your interested or looking for any specific titles.  

Edit: Nevermind, I stopped at lunch they are laserdisc movies.  On the plus side while I was there I did pickup a wireless router (802.11b) for $2.99 and my first VSmile game Aladdin sealed for $1.99
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 10:55:52 AM by bum-man » Logged

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 12:46:26 PM »

I have a laserdisc player too. what did they have and at what price?

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 03:43:20 PM »

I didn't really look at the selection (they have a big stack of them) since they were laserdisc, I think the price was $2.89 or $3.98 each.   I stop there pretty often so I will get more details (perhaps tomorrow!)

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 08:00:44 PM »

Any Criterion ones I would like.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 04:48:49 AM »

I didn't really look at the selection (they have a big stack of them) since they were laserdisc, I think the price was $2.89 or $3.98 each.   I stop there pretty often so I will get more details (perhaps tomorrow!)

cool. thanks for checking.

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 11:19:30 AM »

Ok here's the list:

Revenge *
Ben Hur *
Ship Wrecked
Alice in Wonderland
Torn Curtain *
Beverly Hills Cop
Babe
American Graffiti
The Falcon & the Snowman *
Vertigo *
The FBI Murders
Old Yeller
F.I.S.T. *
Animal Farm
Ghost Busters
Dillenger
King David
Bonnie & Clyde
Judgement Night
All is Quiet on the Western Front *
Doctor Zhivago *
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Platoon *
Cliffhanger
Cool World
Betrayed *
North by Northwest *
Lady in White
Die Hard *
On the Waterfront
The Package
Bulletproof
The Professional *
Broadcast News *
Fearless *
Duel
The Conversation
Ride the High Country
Breaker Morant
Harvey
My Darling Clementine
Ordinary People *
The Day of the Jackal *

The single disk movies are $2.99 and the double disks (marked with *) are $4.99 and don't forget NY wants it's part and adds 8.25% tax

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 11:49:00 AM »

don't make a special trip but next time you're there I'd be interested in Bonnie and Clyde and American Grafitti.

were the sleeves still in good shape?

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 11:53:23 AM »

don't make a special trip but next time you're there I'd be interested in Bonnie and Clyde and American Grafitti.

were the sleeves still in good shape?

What makes you think I may go there again  Wink  I'll stop back in early next week and see if they still have them.

In general the sleeves were all in good shape, if those look questionable I will let you know.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 11:54:46 AM by bum-man » Logged

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 11:55:50 AM »

Any Criterion ones I would like.

I didn't check to see if any were Criterion editions. I think a few are possible titles, I will check when I stop back next week.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length