RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 04:23:56 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | What kind of Collector are you? 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: What kind of Collector are you?  (Read 13753 times)
N3XUS
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2006, 11:23:20 PM »

I'm not much of a collector as much as a video game fan. I just get what I get when it comes out. Just recently I have been looking back at my pack-rat life and seeing what I really have hidden away. My first personal goal is to get all the Armored Core games for PS1 and then work on getting some of the rarer PS1 RPGs and Metal Gear games.
the_collector
Tiger Gizmondo

United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2006, 04:35:56 PM »

me well i started out out on the n64, friends heard about what i was doing so i got a lot of free games off peole now not focued on much if i see a good deal i buy it

also i live in the uk  and i want more PAL games on the data base beause their are on enough
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2006, 07:35:23 PM »

I'll buy whatever I can that is cheap. It doesn't matter if it is a 2600 game or a N64 game, as long as it is cheap, I'm gonna buy it. 

neskid
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2006, 11:45:21 PM »

I'm about 80% gamer and 20% collector. I'm mostly focused on the n.e.s. really dont care if it has the box and manual or not. Just as long as the cart and label are in good condition. I also buy games for the snes, Dreamcast, Virtual boy, and Genesis and my other systems. The Dreamcast and Genesis and any CD game have to be complete. I can't stand those being incomplete for some reason.
Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2006, 10:23:16 AM »

I collect games and systems I enjoy.  I don't care how rare a game is.  If its not fun I get rid of it for games that are fun.  My favorite systems tend to be the NES and Genesis.  I tend not to buy doubles unless I know someone needing something or its a really good deal.

Fuyukaze
RFG Friend
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2006, 03:01:41 PM »

Anything I can get my hands on.
Carts can be loose but CD games must be complete.  Same for DVD games.
I try to get only the games that interest me and used to say it was only games I'd want to play but seriously, I'm not kidding anyone when I have 30+ game months and dont touch a one beyond testing it out to see if it works.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Fuyukaze[/img]
[img width=470 height=155]http://gamercards.exophase.com/69469.png[/img]
Ando
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2006, 04:35:02 PM »

I'm a CIB Japan games collector. My current collection doesn't entirely reflect that. That's because I just decided recently.
In 3 years I'll be moving to Japan, bringing my collection with me. Since it would cost more to import American games to Japan instead of just buying the Japanese games (and the fact that I wouldn't be able to just continue an American console in Japanese given the differing titles and box-types; the perfectionist in me can't do it), I'll go ahead and start building up an entirely Japanese collection now. This also makes it a bit more interesting because there are lots of games that are Japan only.

I've only got Wonder Project J and J2, MOTHER1+2 Value Selection and MOTHER3 Deluxe Box when it comes to Japanese games. That number shall grow. Tongue
TurboGrafxer AKA DCer
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2006, 04:55:19 PM »

im the kind that grabs it if i dont have it and its decently priced. i gotta get that deal. i have had some really good scores recently. my collection just about grows daily. and i am always buying games on ebay and from people here on rfg (thats where the best deals are).

You're my hero. Vanilla Ice RULES! I can't believe that there is another SERIOUS Vanilla Ice fan on this site. The special edition DVD should be called "Cool As Ice: Drop That Zero Edition".
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2006, 10:47:45 AM »

Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted in here yet!

I must own every video game ever released, every magazine, promo item, and video game related item.  If it has something to do with video games and I can get it for the right price, I'll buy it.

As for the games themselves, for the most part I try to collect CIB or at least boxed.  Some systems I will buy for even if they are loose, namely 2600, Colecovision, and to some extent NES

I don't get much of a chance to play my games, though I try my ass off.  I usually get sucked into one game (right now I'm sucked into 3: Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Guitar Hero 2, and World of Warcraft) and I neglect all of my others.  Usually after I get into a game that really sucks up alot of my time, I try to play a few short games that I can beat in no more than a week.
Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2007, 06:17:33 PM »

I definitely fall into the CIB snob category on this post.  I am an avid collector of console systems - not pongs or handhelds - just consoles.  I have around 95 or so systems from the US and abroad.  Once I achieved getting all the base systems that were available (with the exception of a couple of hard to find ones - RDI Halcyon, APF Imagination Machine, C64 GS, CPS Changer to note a few), I began completing all models released for a given system, which I just started doing.  To date, I have completed the 3DO system releases - thats it so far.  I am uploading slowly the systems/games that I have to my collection.  This will take some time since a great number of hardware/systems are not listed, so I am submitting information to add them.

BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2007, 07:37:43 PM »

Definitely a CIB collector when it's convenient, but that's not to say that I won't pass up a good deal if I see one. My collection has really started to focus on Genesis lately, but isn't limited to that. I don't buy books or magazines, or any other sort of video game-related items unless they are extraordinarily awesome. I will buy RPG strategy guides since in most cases they are just as collectible as the games themselves.

As for playing the games, I do my best, but it's difficult with work, a live-in girlfriend and a dog.
Tan
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2007, 07:40:44 PM »

I've changed my habits allot since I first posted here. I'd say I've become a completist snob but that's not entirely true. I got rid of hundreds of loose games but haven't bothered to replace most of them. I still have loose carts for some systems and other systems that I had half and half of I just gotten rid of instead. I only buy games that I'll absolutely play or that my wife will play and I'll pass up games even for a buck if I don't like them. Having just to have doesn't give me much entertainment. Tongue

That and gaming/collecting never was my primary hobby so now that I have most of what I want to play I'm getting to be a scrooge so my shopping is getting more infrequent as I divert money. On the other hand I have spent allot of money buying extra hardware brand new when possible as backups for the future so I have many brand new systems/mem cards/controllers etc sitting in storage.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2007, 07:41:24 PM »

My collection has really started to focus on Genesis lately

Nice to see Genesis get some love!

Nice to have a few more CIB collectors and a CIB snob like me!!!! See that Den? More people like me!

BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2007, 08:25:39 PM »

My collection has really started to focus on Genesis lately

Nice to see Genesis get some love!

Nice to have a few more CIB collectors and a CIB snob like me!!!! See that Den? More people like me!

Absolutely. CIB games are a cinch to find and in most cases very affordable (and almost always in nice condition).
Grim Fandango
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2007, 11:46:02 PM »

I enjoy thrifting so I collect what I can get cheap. I won't buy cd games either unless they are complete (save a few big money titles for like ps1 or something, which I'd just use to fund parts of my collection). Genesis I prefer cib, since they are so easy to find that way. I'm back into a 32x collection now, since I just got the system, and so far the 11 games I have are boxed and I wont take anything less (just missing a manual for Star Wars Arcade for them to be CIB).

[img width=300 height=225]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4282/supcatwv6.jpg[/img]

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=wallydawg[/img]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length