RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 04:28:53 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | What kind of Collector are you? 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: What kind of Collector are you?  (Read 13765 times)
briskbc
N-Gage
Canada

Stats
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2006, 09:08:21 AM »

I just collect the games I like.  I have no loyalties to any console producer.  I am really only a completist with regards to the Dreamcast.  I don't know why but it's just burned into my mind that I have to have the complete library, all of the Euro exclusives, white label demos, and Japanese exclusives.  I expect this to take a LONG time.

NationalGameDepot
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2006, 12:40:46 PM »

I have like 12+ systems with games and accesories for them all, but NES is the only thing I really collect.  I just get games for the others systems that I really enjoy.  
~~NGD

PapaStu
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2006, 06:21:41 PM »

laugh

This is oh so true  Wink You and Jason both Tongue
Not that this is a bad thing.  Smiley

And the bad thing is that I got him started on variants....  He was a 'typical' owner of everything before I came around and made him buy even MORE copies of games.

Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2006, 06:37:36 PM »

And the bad thing is that I got him started on variants....  He was a 'typical' owner of everything before I came around and made him buy even MORE copies of games.

You are an evil evil man.  Wink

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2006, 06:41:16 PM »

You are an evil evil man.  Wink

Jason: YEAH I HAVE ALL THE PSX GAMES!!!!! WOOT!

PapaStu: You do? You only have 1275(?)

Jason:Yeah thats all of them.

PapStu: Silly Silly man you need the variants 1275 is for the weak you need about 1900 PSX games to be a real man.

Jason: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 06:41:50 PM by tynstar » Logged

segasimon
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2006, 04:50:25 PM »

70% collector
30% player!
Genesis carts are just fine, I want to compleate this system.
32x carts are fine also.
sega cd has to be CIB, I like the boxes plus cds need to be taken care of.
game gear I pick up new games when I find them and they are the right price!
Nes, stopped even picking up games for. have a few I like and thats it.
I will drive hours to collect games I need for genesis, will go to swap meets when I can, like tommorrow (have the day off!!!). Will go to every game store on a regular basis, look on craigs list but never ebay (well I will be getting that way soon)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 04:51:31 PM by segasimon » Logged
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2006, 01:46:08 AM »

My collecting habits also depend on the console and type.  For NES games, I aim for a complete CIB collection with variants, etc, but since I have the majority of the manuals already and bought a couple box sets, I have no problem buying individual pieces here and there.  I store the carts, manuals, and boxes all apart from one another, so its not really noticable that some games are more complete than others Smiley

As for NES hardware, I only buy complete (preferably new; unless I get a super deal on a loose accessory) stuff and I'll pick up any variant that I still need as long as my spending budget can manage. Smiley  Since there isn't a complete list of NES accessories available yet, it's hard to really "complete" the set, but that is just more motivation for me to collect the stuff as I enjoy documenting it Smiley

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
NES-a-holic
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2006, 09:18:19 AM »

Well i started collecting NES again 3 years back and at first i started with carts (i had 20 left from the past).
After like 5 to 6 months i saw quite some copletes popping up on ebay.nl and 2ndhandsites so i decided to collect complete,looked nicer and IMO it's great to own it all.Manual,cart,box if possible poster and inlays. Smiley
Last year my interest grew more towards proto's/demo's and such and other related stuff and stumbled upon other consoles proto's and got interested in some other stuff also.
I mean SMS,Megadrive,SNES,GB games and other stuff.I buy for NES completes mostly and when it's an uncommon game i will settle for cart also in some cases.
When i go to flea markets and i can't find NES related stuff i buy other consoles games also,mostly carts.Some for the keep some for trade bait or for resale as long if it's cheap i'll buy it,NES wise no limit really.
About spending limits,if i really want it and i have the money for it i buy it no matter what.

Zanicnight
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2006, 10:50:27 AM »

I pick up whatever I can as long as it has a good price on it. I don't care if  Ihave the system or not, cause my plan is to one day get my hands on it.
David_J.
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2006, 09:43:54 PM »

I collect what I will play or use. However, if I see a game I'm not intrested in, but it is a cheap, a collector and is quality, like Legend of Oasis for the Sega Saturn, I'll pick it up. Like I was going to pass it up for $3.

However... if it's not a system I collect I'll leave on the shelf, and let someone else enjoy it. Seeing Street Fighter Collection for the PS1, mint for $3 is an example.

Condition... well 16 bit games I don't really care if they are complete, but if the game requires a manual, like Herzog Zwei, I want one. Fighting games require one. I didn't get Virtua Fighter 2 or 32X until I had a manual.

True Story: When I bought Virtua Fighter 2 for the Genesis, well I wanted it -- I bought a manual before I bought the game, I really lucked out because every copy on ebay was loose.

Any thing past the Genesis or SNES I want complete. I am working on getting complete copies of the last few loose Saturn games that I have.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 09:46:51 PM by David_J. » Logged
segarocks30
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2006, 10:02:48 PM »

Hell, I just pick up whatever usually. And if i see something that i have heard was good, I grab it.
RetroYoungen
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2006, 10:08:30 PM »

I collect what I want to play.

My mentality also.  When I hear about a good or great game, I might go out and buy it.  Other than that, I'll pick up cheap games and hopefully a gem pops up that I can recommend to my buds.

I used to be one of those people that I just wanted every game I could get my hands on, but I found out I had too many games I really didn't want to play again, so that stopped.  The only system I want every game for now is the NGPC (of my 36 games, probably a third of them are boxed, and there's only maybe one of them that I can say I don't like).

Here is where the witty signature is supposed to go.
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2006, 12:05:09 PM »

I started with the thought of just getting games I liked, but that went out the window when the import bug bit me hard.

I mean really... how many horse racing or dating sims does one person need when you can't understand what's on the screen?

These days I still pick up games for systems I don't own, but might some day. Tongue If it's cheap and in good shape I'll likely buy it. I try for complete on most stuff, but older carts I'll take loose.

Slowly building an ammo fort.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2006, 06:37:59 PM »

Funk yeah!

When shall his new form be revealed?
Barracuda
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2006, 06:30:49 PM »

I don't really focus on any certain console. If it's cheap I'll buy it. When it comes to games I like them complete, although some I will buy loose.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length