RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 06:18:18 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | What kind of Collector are you? 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: What kind of Collector are you?  (Read 13776 times)
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 01:10:07 PM »

Never got into the handhelds outside of the old Mattel classics & Microvision. Pretty much stick to consoles...

Cham Zord
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 01:17:28 PM »

I collect any game that is either original, groundbreaking, or flat-out fun. Sports titles are excluded and RPGs are the only exception when it comes to disposable material. Console does not make a difference.

In a perfect world, there are no boundaries...

We already live in a perfect world...
Tan
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 03:22:38 PM »

I hate you.

laugh

100 loose nes games look better arranged by title on a shelf then  40 boxed and 60 loose, especially if you keep your collection in the living room, but to be fair i've given away loose carts for systems that i have all boxed, i guess a few years of military service will rub uniformity off on you.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 03:38:51 PM »

Could have unfolded them flat and stored them somewhere.
Could have sold the boxes.
Could have traded the boxes.
Could have given the boxes away.
You threw them out....

I am a mega packrat too.

I keep some stuff that should throwing out just because.
Why not? We have millions of broken clay pots in museums around the world Wink

As for uniformity.
I have all my boxed games on a shelf for display. All the loose games in a container under my bed.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 03:39:36 PM by IZRET101 » Logged

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 04:34:07 PM »

I'm what I would call a 'quality seeking collector and gamer'. Basically, I made a list of every game I could think of that I liked as a kid or always wanted to try, and I collected them all. That wishlist always keeps getting bigger, and naturally my collection does, too. I'm not concerned with rarity, typically...I don't have much interest in owning something simply because it's hard to find (unless it kicks ass, of course). I do have some completist tendencies when it comes to my favorite series (get all the Metroids, Zeldas, etc) as well, but I don't see myself ever trying to get every game for a system. Maybe in the far off future.

There ARE some exceptions to this, though - I do have a small collection of things that I bought simply because they're awful (White Men Can't Jump, Kris Kross, etc.)

For the most part - if it's good, noteworthy and/or a good discussion piece, I want it.

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2006, 05:25:03 PM »

I take whatever I can find in the wild (mostly thrifts & garage sales), that's why I have games for several systems I don't even own.  I prefer CIB but I won't pass on something that I need just because it's loose (most of the time)  At this point in my life I find that I am 90% collector and 10% gamer, but I think as my boys get older they may bring back out more of the gamer in me.  Time will tell on that.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
Tan
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2006, 05:27:17 PM »

Could have unfolded them flat and stored them somewhere.
Could have sold the boxes.
Could have traded the boxes.
Could have given the boxes away.
You threw them out....

I am a mega packrat too.

I keep some stuff that should throwing out just because.
Why not? We have millions of broken clay pots in museums around the world Wink

As for uniformity.
I have all my boxed games on a shelf for display. All the loose games in a container under my bed.

since i was a kid with my intelly and 2600 i've always kept the games i've gotten for each system over the years and by the time the big collecting boom seemed to kick off what was done was done with the majority of my games, who knew 20 years ago that cardboard boxes would be so valuable?

Huh
shaggy
RFG Emperor
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 04:34:35 AM »

I see. I buy.  As simple as that.  Well depending on price.   I try to get everything complete but some systems more than others. (NES, Genesis)

NES cart only collection - 87% complete.
SMS set complete!
AndyC
RFG Friend
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 05:41:57 AM »

I buy what's cheap. I've no disposable income at the moment as I've bought a house which is in the process of being gutted. Not a cheap task.

I don't follow any particular system and buy games for any of the ones I own. When I do buy I only buy games CIB as nothing I get is particularly rare, so they're easy enough to get in a decent condition.

I am definatley more of a gamer than a collector any way, (even though I know I won't ever get to play most of them), I just can't resist a bargain.

I do collect games in the Pro Evo and ISS series from Konami though, which are easy enough to pick up.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2006, 08:00:36 AM »

laugh

100 loose nes games look better arranged by title on a shelf then  40 boxed and 60 loose, especially if you keep your collection in the living room, but to be fair i've given away loose carts for systems that i have all boxed, i guess a few years of military service will rub uniformity off on you.

So get 100 boxed games  Wink

Or keep the boxed games together and the loose games together.

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2006, 08:03:47 AM »

I keep my loose carts on 1 seperate shelf. I wouldn't want their "loose" germs to infect my CIB games Tongue
Check my profile to see a pic of that set up.

Tan
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2006, 09:03:59 AM »

the thing is the majority of my loose games were bought when their respective systems were new, and like most kids the boxes got thrown away or damaged. i threw most of those boxes out years and years ago, i've become so used to having all loose carts for some systems i prefer them now, i like the look of having them all looking the same in alphabetical order, maybe i got too much adrian monk in me  Tongue
PapaStu
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 04:49:55 AM »

Simply put.... Variant Whore.  Those that know me know I really don't mind owning 6 or 7 or 8 versions of a game if theres a variant to em.

I'm a completist.  If that means waiting an extra year to get the game... so be it.  Since I only go after newer stuff it really doesnt matter to me that my NES stuff from when I was a kid is loose.  But anything I put money on now is complete.  I've only got one complete collection thus far and thats the NGPC (which still isn't a perfect collection, I need more boxed systems) but since my other collections are just a tad bigger to collect for its understandable.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 06:15:46 PM by PapaStu » Logged

Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2006, 05:30:01 AM »

Simply put.... Variant Whore.  

laugh

This is oh so true  Wink You and Jason both Tongue
Not that this is a bad thing.  Smiley

Sensei_Fu
Jaguar CD

Stats
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 05:48:01 AM »

I'm currently collecting CIB NES games, loose 2600 games and CIB Genny games.

I was collecting everything, but I am running out of room.  I only wnat to collect for those systems that are near and dear to my heart.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length