RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 08, 2024, 08:28:30 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Let's Talk About Guitar Hero!!! PS2 & Xbox 360 versions! 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38 Print
Author Topic: Let's Talk About Guitar Hero!!! PS2 & Xbox 360 versions!  (Read 83639 times)
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »

Grr!

All I have left is Bark at the Moon on expert. I've gotten as far 98% on it, too...but that solo at the end just sucks so much. I adore this game, though...no extreme level of difficulty could stop me from enjoying it every time I play it.

Awesome. Good work, and welcome to rfgeneration!

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2006, 06:55:14 PM »

Grr!

All I have left is Bark at the Moon on expert. I've gotten as far 98% on it, too...but that solo at the end just sucks so much. I adore this game, though...no extreme level of difficulty could stop me from enjoying it every time I play it.

Wow, that's pretty awesome.

I played many real instruments, but none of them helped really hard at letting move my hands around for 5 fret playing. Damn sax, clarinet, and recorder and not having to move your hands at all to play.

Hello World.
InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2006, 07:16:36 PM »

I've played guitar for most of my life, and I can't say it helps all that much for anything besides hammer-ons and pull-offs, which aren't really that necessary in the first place. From my experience, the most important factors are:

- How well you know the song in question
- How easily you can read the notes and pick up patterns and the like

Oh, and practice too. That's good as well.

Joker_T
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2006, 11:50:02 AM »

I've had the game since late January, tons of fun.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2006, 12:17:44 PM »

I've played guitar for most of my life, and I can't say it helps all that much for anything besides hammer-ons and pull-offs, which aren't really that necessary in the first place.

I've not had much luck doing those. I wondered if it would really hurt my chances of beating the game.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2006, 01:58:42 PM »

hammer-ons and pull-offs

What are those?

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2006, 03:31:46 PM »

What are those?

Didn't you do the instructional part of the game?

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2006, 04:19:15 PM »

Didn't you do the instructional part of the game?

I didn't know there was one. I just started a career.  :-/

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2006, 04:41:37 PM »

What are those?

A hammer-on is where you strum a note, and then hit the note/button above it with your left hand without strumming. A pull off is essentially the opposite - holding two buttons, playing the top one and then letting it go to play the one below it. It only works on notes that occur in rather rapid succession. It allows you to play multiple quick notes with one strum, and it's used a ton in actual guitar playing, but Guitar Hero requires you to be incredibly precise with it (hence it not being particularly necessary).

This is the sort of thing that's really hard to describe in writing, but hopefully that made sense.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 04:43:45 PM by InvadErGII » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2006, 04:53:37 PM »

A hammer-on is where you strum a note, and then hit the note/button above it with your left hand without strumming. A pull off is essentially the opposite - holding two buttons, playing the top one and then letting it go to play the one below it. It only works on notes that occur in rather rapid succession. It allows you to play multiple quick notes with one strum, and it's used a ton in actual guitar playing, but Guitar Hero requires you to be incredibly precise with it (hence it not being particularly necessary).

This is the sort of thing that's really hard to describe in writing, but hopefully that made sense.

I think it makes sense. I only played this game on easy. I think teh Queens of teh Stone Age song has that in it.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2006, 05:28:24 PM »

I've just been playing for the past 2 and a half hours. I'm still on Hard. I finished the 3rd group of songs (Heart Full Of Black gave me the most trouble) and am on to the 4th group. I beat 3 of 5 so far, still have Cochise and Take It Off to go.

I must say Unsung is quite a workout.

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2006, 09:31:06 PM »

I think it makes sense. I only played this game on easy. I think teh Queens of teh Stone Age song has that in it.

Yeah, it has plenty of them.

On a related note - it's subtle, but the notes actually look different when they can be played with a hammer-on or pull-off. They glow a little bit brighter as a cue that you can use them if you choose, but it's practically too subtle for its own good.

djbeatmongrel
Donor

Stats
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2006, 09:57:46 PM »

been playing for about 3 months. i've beaten hard mode, 5 starred all songs on medium and am stuck on "No one knows" on expert.

i'm a fan of a lot of music games and i hate to say it but it beats out my favs Gitaroo man, space channel 5, and mad maestro. i even bought beatmania recently but it just isnt the same as guitar hero.

anyways my favorite songs to play are Crossroads, Spanish Castle Magic, More than a Feeling (its my dedication song to my friends mom...) and Sharp dressed man.

soon i hope to get another guitar to do a costum paint job to match the leopard print strap i have for it. heres the mock up (theres a dice missing from the whammy)

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2006, 04:46:52 AM »

I've not played Beatmania but I've got the other 3 you mentioned and I agree they are all great.

It's that damn nifty guitar controller that puts Guitar Hero over the top for me. get to live out those adolescent fantasies of being a rock star.

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2006, 05:43:30 AM »

This game has actually made me pick up my real guitar again and learn some of the songs from the game.  So far I've learned Ziggy Stardust (minus the solo because I can't find the tab for it anywhere), Cowboys from Hell (minus the solo because I only have 5 fingers on my left hand and I think you need at least 7 fingers to play it), and I just started on Ace of Spades.

Also, I agree with InvadErGll about the hammer-on's and pull off's.  They expect you to be much too precise with them, and one mistimed note can screw up the entire timing of a solo.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length