RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 05:02:35 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Board games...I've played some good ones lately. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Board games...I've played some good ones lately.  (Read 5635 times)
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« on: October 26, 2005, 04:21:03 PM »

Hey, anyone out there play board games?

I have a group of friends that are into them and we played some interesting ones recently:

Power Grid (a corporate domination type of game (think Monopoly) where you have to acquire power plants of various fuel sources and expand your territory to be able to be the first to provide power to X US cities)

Domaine (a territory-based feudal game where the object is to push away others off of their land while protecting yours and gaining resources)

Formula De (a formula 1 racing game where racing strategy regarding up and downshifting use dice of various values to represent risk-taking along straightaways and turns along a variety of tracks).

« Last Edit: October 26, 2005, 04:22:08 PM by phoenix1967 » Logged

phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 06:52:25 AM »

Can anyone else recommend any board games that  are "off the beaten path" or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 06:52:58 AM by phoenix1967 » Logged

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 08:02:27 AM »

I played one cool game but I can't remember what its called. I'll ask the kid tomorrow. It's something like Domaine.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 01:41:15 PM »

Easy Money was a pretty cool game.
I can't really think of a game that is like it enough for comparison.

You go around the board collecting and losing money in various ways like the stock market betting and other things.
I haven't played it in quite some time but i remember liking it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 01:41:40 PM by IZRET101 » Logged

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 03:37:16 PM »

I remember playing a good one called Scotland Yard.  It's set in the streets of London and one person was the bad guy but you didn't know who it is.  The object is to discover the identity of the bad guy before he gets away.  I don't recall to many details just that it was always fun.  I wonder what happened to that game, I will have to keep an eye out for at the thrifts.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 06:37:29 PM »

Although I haven't played it (I intend to, it is sitting within 3 feet of me right now) a friend let me borrow "Advanced Third Reich". It seriously looks like the most complicated game ever. My friend says you could easily leave it up and play it for months. It is kinda like Axis and Alies only about 20 times more involved.
bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 07:10:33 PM »

Although I haven't played it (I intend to, it is sitting within 3 feet of me right now) a friend let me borrow "Advanced Third Reich". It seriously looks like the most complicated game ever. My friend says you could easily leave it up and play it for months. It is kinda like Axis and Alies only about 20 times more involved.
That's one of those bookshelf war games (I think that one is made by Avalon Hill).  I pick those up for a friend when I see them in the thrifts.  It's like they have games for every battle in every war that ever was and they all have tons of little tiny pieces of card board markers and a map to play on.  People that play (or collect) those are almost as bad as gamers!  I tried playing one once, but found if your not really into it, it's not much fun.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 04:39:07 AM »

I'm partial to trivia board games. I like the new ones that are coming out with DVD's. Scene-It is a cool game and now they have music, movie and sports editions. I also have the DVD Trivial Pursuit for Lord of thr Rings and Saturday Night Live.

Haven't played an involved board game since Axis and Allies way back when.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 06:21:06 AM »

There was an updated Axis and Allies
it was something like
Axis and Allies 2049 A.D.

That looked really cool.
But as was mentioned if your not into that style of game definately not soemthing for you.

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 06:32:13 AM »

As mentioned ,

I highly reccomend Axis and Allies   Smiley

Ron_Mexico
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 09:06:48 AM »

"Scene-It is a cool game and now they have music, movie and sports editions. I also have the DVD Trivial Pursuit for Lord of thr Rings and Saturday Night Live. "

Den, there also is a Harry Potter Scene It game.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 09:07:11 AM by Ron_Mexico » Logged

I Pity the Fool!
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 10:46:12 AM »

that would be cool. probably real easy though. I have a Harry Potter board trivia game that came out aroung the time the second movie did.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 02:00:22 PM »

Aww hell I forgot to ask the kid. Maybe tuesday.

When shall his new form be revealed?
phoenix1967
Nintendo DS
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 04:30:48 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I had another big boardgaming session with some friends.

Ticket To Ride: Excellent game! Everyone competes to complete train routes across the US. The longer the route, the more points it's worth. Plus, if you complete your mission cards, you get bonus points. The "currency" is train car cards of various colors that are used to build your route. A very simple game to learn, but challenging to master.

Redneck Life: This is a funny party game, but a little long. Basically, you start off getting into debt. Getting married (and divorced). Getting "young-ens", most of which are named Daryl, and the winner is the person with the most teeth at the end. Plays out very much like a game of Life, but with a "redneck" spin. Recommended!

Niagara: Another simple to learn, challenging to master game. Everyone gets 2 canoes and paddle cards numbered 1-6 (also a 'cloud' paddle). You need to pick up gems at the side of a river rapids and bring them back to shore. People take turns being 1st to act. The cloud paddle card speeds up or slows down the river. The 1st person to get 4 of a kind, 1 of each of the 5 kinds, or 7 total gems wins.

If Wishes Were Fishes: I originally thought this would be a kids game, but it's much more strategic than I thought. There are 7 types of fish, each with a market for you to sell them. The "wish" on each fish card can be activated instead of you keeping the fish in one of your 2 boats. If you use the "wish" you can make certain markets worth more (or take away from others), get $ for the # of worms you have (used as a type of currency used to get the fish card you want since you get to choose one 1 out of 4 available cards each turn), be able to sell your fish as if they were other types, trashing other opponent's fish, etc. A strategic objective is to sell the most fish that would "close" each of the 4 markets, getting the applicable bonus. Incredibly simple concept, but a lot of fun and a challenge to play.

Anyone else do any boardgaming lately?

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 04:37:40 PM »

Sorry is still the best board game out there.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length