RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 28, 2024, 04:21:24 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | I picked up a Ms. at the side of the road 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: I picked up a Ms. at the side of the road  (Read 6253 times)
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 04:25:29 PM »

Th egood thing about popular coin ops even if old is that they are easy to find parts for. Controller overlays, bezels, marquees etc. Easy to find.

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 06:31:20 AM »

yeah that looks like it will be a challenge. make sure you document your progress. I'd like to see this on the site one day in a "Member Projects" section.

hint hint

good luck!

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 06:57:12 AM »

Yeah, I have my work cut out for me.  The good thing is I've gotten my money's worth out of it already!!

So far no luck getting it to play, I'm thinking that I may have a bad Z80 processor.  Tonight I am going to dig out an old extra Timex 1000 that I have and pull the processor to give it a try.  I'll try the one from the game in the computer as well just to see.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 04:39:50 PM »

Mostly off topic

The mention of the Z80 piqued my interest.
I knew it had been used in other stuff but not as much as it was.
Anyways thanks for essentially giving me a short history lesson Smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zilog_Z80
By the early 1980s it was used in a host of home computer designs including the MSX, Radio-Shack TRS-80, Sinclair ZX80* & ZX81* and ZX Spectrum. It was also featured in the Osborne 1, the Kaypro, and a great number of fairly anonymous business-oriented CP/M machines that dominated the market of the time in the way that Windows based machines do today. In the mid-1980s the Z80 was used in Tatung's Einstein and the Amstrad CPC and PCW home/office computer ranges as well as forming the CPU basis for the MSX computer standard. The Z80 was also used in the Norwegian Tiki 100 computers, which were the computers of choice for Norwegian schools during the late 1980s.

Such was the popularity of the Z80 and CP/M that the Commodore 128 featured a Z80 processor alongside its MOS Technology 8502 processor for compatibility. Other 6502 based computers already on the market such as the BBC Micro, Apple II and the 6510 based Commodore 64 can make use of the Z80 with an external unit or a plug-in card or cartridge.

The Multitech Microprofessor I, introduced in 1981, is a simple and inexpensive training system for the Z80 microprocessor. As of early 2005, it is still on market.

Notable later uses of the processor include several Texas Instruments (TI) graphing calculators (like the TI-85, TI-84 and TI-83), and Sega's Master System and Game Gear video game consoles. Both the SNK Neo-Geo and Sega Mega Drive/Genesis consoles use it as an audio coprocessor. Nintendo's Game Boy and Game Boy Color handheld game systems used a Z80 clone manufactured by Sharp Corporation, which had a slightly different instruction set. The Sharp Z80 in the Game Boy Color is notable for its ability to selectively double its clock speed when running Game Boy Color software. The Zilog Z80 has also become a popular embedded microprocessor and microcontroller core, where it remains in widespread use today. Many classic coin-op arcade games used the Z80 as a main CPU or sound coprocessor.

(* The Sinclair ZX80 and -81 were equipped with the Z80 clone NEC uPD780C.)

And like Den said it would be cool if you documented what your doing Be cool to get that Member Projects up eventually Smiley Wink

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 06:03:02 PM »

Good stuff, I had forgotten that GameBoy was Z80 based (or a Sharp Z80 clone).  Now that I read that I may have to pull out my Sinclair ZX-81 (it was my first computer, I built it from a kit!), cause it says that they had the NEC uPD780C, but when I opened my spare TImex 1000 it has a Zllog Z80A.  Now it's got me wondering if I need to update that Wiki page.

Oh and you can count on my taking lots of photos.  In fact here's one of the inside as it looks now.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
dieourumov
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2005, 11:40:33 AM »

I haven't seen one of those since they used to have them at Pizza Hut.
tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2005, 07:19:49 AM »

awesome find....especially for free on the side of the road

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
Jagdiesel
Jaguar CD

Stats

Champion of

More>>
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2005, 06:42:39 AM »

I hope this ends up working well for you!  I passed a Tron sitting on the side of the road in Mesa, AZ several years back.  Why?  It was raining, I was in a car, and it was in the little Mexico section of town (most of Mesa).  Still wish I'd gone home, got my truck and a coupla friends, and picked it up...

Why dis hafta happen, Forrest?
You got shot, Bubba.
I wanna go home Forrest, I wan go home...
bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005, 07:06:02 AM »

Thanks, I should be able to get it restored, all I need is the time.  There are tons of sites with info and parts for it on the internet.  I have started to disassemble it so I can setup the guts on my workbench.  I figure it will be easier to work on out of the cabinet.

tholly
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005, 10:18:33 AM »

Thanks, I should be able to get it restored, all I need is the time.  There are tons of sites with info and parts for it on the internet.  I have started to disassemble it so I can setup the guts on my workbench.  I figure it will be easier to work on out of the cabinet.

good luck....and make sure to get us some pics when its fully restored

Collection Pics--Excel Collection Spreadsheet--XBox Live Gamertag: tholly1983 - PS3 Name: tholly - Wii Code: 6005 4631 6751 2174
bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2005, 11:38:33 AM »

I've taken lots already, so I can show the work that went into it.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length