RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 28, 2024, 06:16:54 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | I picked up a Ms. at the side of the road 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: I picked up a Ms. at the side of the road  (Read 6267 times)
bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« on: September 14, 2005, 01:33:52 PM »

I'm generally what you would call a happly married man but eveyone has their weak moments.  There I was stopped at a red light when I glanced to the side and there she was, I just couldn't resist.  Ok it wasn't a woman it was a Ms. Pac-Man Coctail Table coin-op just sitting there next to a trash can waiting to be sent to the dump.  It's a little rough and the glass top is missing but the insides all seem to be there.  Can't wait to get it home and see if it works. |D

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 02:25:25 PM »

That's awesome!!  I'm curious to hear if it works...if it does then you are one lucky bastard Wink  

-Speedy

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 02:40:13 PM »

I just unloaded it and noticed there is no plug, just bare wires.  So I got some work to do before I can test it. Cry

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 03:07:26 PM »

It will be wicked cool if you can get it to work.
If not spare part on ebay Wink

CatchFiveBats
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 05:01:03 PM »

*jealous*

That's the kind of thing that only happens in dreams (or, in your case, when you're sitting at a red light).  Let's hope that it works!

- Zac
bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 06:25:12 PM »

Well I checked things out to make sure everything was in place.  Then I wired up a plug and fired it up.  It lights up but it's not playable Cry  The screen is scrolling so I can't read it but it looks like it may be displaying some numbers and what could be some cherries (like in the game)  My next step will be to take it apart clean it up, put it back together and give it another go.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 09:16:07 PM »

AWESOME FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!

What way is it scrolling?

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 04:00:41 AM »

It was scrolling horizontally, I got it to stop by adjusting the horizontal hold.  It is still displaying garbage on the screen when you start it up.  The inside of the cabinet is pretty clean, I was glad to see that.  There were a few small pieces of glass which I expect are from the former top.  I have found lots of resources on the net with info on repairing these machines and even sources for remanufactured parts (I can get the top and the lithos that go under it for about $150 + shipping).  My first order of business will be to get the thing working, so I guess I'll have to dig out my soldering gun and oscilloscope.  Once it's working I can get to making it pretty.  Should be a fun project!

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 04:40:46 AM »

take pictures of your progress. it would be cool to see the restoration process.

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 05:57:30 AM »

Damn cool find!  It is worth it alone for the project aspect of it.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 11:24:31 AM »

It was scrolling horizontally, I got it to stop by adjusting the horizontal hold.  It is still displaying garbage on the screen when you start it up.  The inside of the cabinet is pretty clean, I was glad to see that.  There were a few small pieces of glass which I expect are from the former top.  I have found lots of resources on the net with info on repairing these machines and even sources for remanufactured parts (I can get the top and the lithos that go under it for about $150 + shipping).  My first order of business will be to get the thing working, so I guess I'll have to dig out my soldering gun and oscilloscope.  Once it's working I can get to making it pretty.  Should be a fun project!

I know my Ms Pac Man has a test button and with hit it displays junk on the screen.  I think it is to test the whole screen at once. The button is located right inside the door on my machine.

The first time I saw the screen like that I didn't know what happened and I almost freaked out. When you hit the button it stays on until you hit it again.

Post a picture of teh screen and I will tell you if it is the same as mine.

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 11:59:31 AM »

Cool I think I've got the same switch, there's a slide switch and a push button.  I read one put's the machine into a sound test mode where each move of the joystick or button has a sound associated with it, is that part of the test your talking about?  I did notice with the slide switch in one position there is no pop (or snap, crackle for that matter) from the speaker on power up.  Any clue what that switch does?  The screen I'm getting is random, each time a power it up I get a different bunch of garbage and pressing the button does not clear it.  I did find there are a few broken pins on one of the daughter cards but I'm not sure that is causing this problem.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 12:30:52 PM »

Cool I think I've got the same switch, there's a slide switch and a push button.  I read one put's the machine into a sound test mode where each move of the joystick or button has a sound associated with it, is that part of the test your talking about?  I did notice with the slide switch in one position there is no pop (or snap, crackle for that matter) from the speaker on power up.  Any clue what that switch does?  The screen I'm getting is random, each time a power it up I get a different bunch of garbage and pressing the button does not clear it.  I did find there are a few broken pins on one of the daughter cards but I'm not sure that is causing this problem.

I will mess around with mine when I get home and let you know.

Cptalbertwesker
Tiger Gizmondo

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 01:09:28 PM »

Wow, sounds like a real cool find. Wish I could find things like that.

Never give up on fixing it though. I had a game.com (bit different I know) and it wouldn't work at all. But me an my sis had a little look inside and fixed it right up Cheesy

He said he understood, but I could see in his eyes that he didn't. He was lying to me.
bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 03:34:04 PM »

@Cptalbertwesker: Thanks for the encouragement, I don't think I'll give up on this one.

Well her she is sitting in the corner of my garage.  Not much to look at is it!!

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length