RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2024, 09:20:46 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Pokemon GO Discussion Thread for Non-Haters 0 Members and 27 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Pokemon GO Discussion Thread for Non-Haters  (Read 54323 times)
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2016, 08:20:17 AM »

Never seen this report, but I've heard other reports about Evee evolution and how it depends on their specific attack.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2016, 10:24:07 AM »

I've got to agree with the comments on that article.

Also saw things about certain pokemon showing up at certain times and locations doesn't seem really accurate.

I've caught water pokemon when i wasn't near water, i've caught Ghastly during the day and near no cemeteries(in fact there is one near me now), despite us being ~90+ and full sun i have not seen any fire pokemon.

I think it is 100% random with certain ones having much lower odds than others and there appears to be a level barrier on most of them. As i have leveled i have begun to see more different types.

I've had Pinsir, Exeggcute, Bulbasaur(!), Hypno, Poliwag, Seel, Staryu, Abra, Tentacool, Rhyhorn and Pidgeot all in my vicinity but wasn't able to go out and hunt them down.

So far i've gotten Goldeen, Drowzee and Vulpix from a  5km egg and Clefairy from a 2km.

There also appear to be deadzones i was dead stop gridlocked on the highway friday night and none appeared. I've been told from people who go "caravaning" that once you get over 20MPH nothing shows up, and the bar as i mentioned before was dead for me. I think that might be a combination of the water department and train tracks near by. But since other municipal buildings are apparently pokestops or gyms that might not be 100% accurate either and i just had bad luck.

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2016, 04:05:32 PM »

http://www.androidpolice....country-to-get-pokmon-go/

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2016, 04:34:35 PM »

GrayGhost let me know that the app went live in Canada today. I had to search "pokemon go app" instead of "pokemon go" in the Google Play Store. Weird, but whatever, I've got the app. I think I'm going to go with Squirtel because he was my go-to when I had Pokemon Blue back in the late 90s.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2016, 05:48:10 PM »

I downloaded the app today. I am at work, and my work is in a heavily industrialized part of my city. Despite that, I still managed to catch two pokemon. The whole time I walked around, i hoped I would capture some kind of ancient demon, like Azazeal or pazuzu. Maybe someday they will make a Shin Megami Tensai GO. Now THAT I could really get into.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 05:52:34 PM by EngineerMike » Logged

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Piczo
Tiger Gizmondo

Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2016, 07:03:36 PM »

ive been playing the .apk file version of pokemon go on my android for about a week now where i was getting too excited to wait for the official canadian release. I'm not sure if i should switch over to the official download or just stay put? I don't think theres much of a difference but I could be totally wrong.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:26:26 PM by Piczo » Logged

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2016, 09:17:18 PM »

ive been playing the .xml file version of pokemon go on my android for about a week now where i was getting too excited to wait for the official canadian release. I'm not sure if i should switch over to the official download or just stay put? I don't think theres much of a difference but I could be totally wrong.

The apk is the same thing that you'd get on the Play Store. Once an update hits, it will update as usual from Google.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
Piczo
Tiger Gizmondo

Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2016, 09:25:56 PM »

The apk is the same thing that you'd get on the Play Store. Once an update hits, it will update as usual from Google.
thank you so much! i kept hearing different things so i wasnt sure

Piczo
Tiger Gizmondo

Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2016, 09:28:43 PM »

also apparently some pokemon are region locked

[img width=700 height=717]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cnmj7CjWEAA7GHu.jpg[/img]

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2016, 12:03:35 AM »

I know there was news about bootleg versions making it to the app store so be weary canada-ites.

Ended up walking about 10km tonight after work... Something i would have never done otherwise.

Grabbed some food on the way home and hit some of the places i knew were stops. One of them was a Post office. I got out and tried to socialize with the guy there but he closed out the game and immediately said he wasn't playing pokemon. I laughed caught a few since there was a lure on the post office. And left about 5 minutes later when it ran out. He was still hanging out at the post office by himself at 11pm alone.... not playing Pokemon.

Finally found that Pinsir(526cp my new best!) i missed yesterday morning with my son. Someone who was caravaning around hollered "PINSIR!" and the drivers sat thru the a light change from red to green to red while all their passengers caught it. There was no one on the road tonight besides Hunters i loled every time a car full drove by.

I ended up using a lure at one stop where i could make a round trip between two other near by stops if i ambled. It drew about a dozen people. I ended up burning thru a few hundred pokeballs tonight so i'm glad there are so many stops near me (compared to other places. I know some places are absolutely littered with them)

One ended up approaching me on one of my return trips and asked what team i was on. "Mystic. It is always the wrong one." He chuckled said he was on Instinct offered me some pot which i declined (and then he realized he lost it while biking around) and gave me some pointers.*

Also managed to nab a low level Venomoth after about a dozen pokeballs(the first one i saw was ~400cp i used dozens of pokeballs and several berries before it fled Angry ), a Pidgeot, Magikarp and a Jigglypuff. Also hatched a Voltorb and a Cubone for other new additions. I think that is it for new ones. Sitting at 37/150 I could evolve a few to fill out my Pokedex but i am holding out for higher CP starter pokemon.

I caught a 180cp Pidgey, 79cp Pidgeotto and 254cp Pidgeot. So if i evolve the Pidgey it should end up at 700+cp assuming the "it roughly doubles when you evolve" thing i was told is true.

*Pointers
Under 20MPH and all distances traveled should count for egg hatching. Over the counter stops.
Catch and evolve everything to level faster. (I catch but hold out on evolution. Though i have been sending all my weaker dupes to professor willow who kills them and turns them into candies to evolve the ones i keep.)
Save items for when new pokemon or good ones are "in range".
Capitalize on others putting lures into stops(duh)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 12:08:50 AM by Izret101 » Logged

MaterialHandlerMike
Atari Lynx
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2016, 09:48:35 AM »

So, I busted this thing open, full bore yesterday. Went for a walk after I got home from work yesterday. I would have to say the ONLY thing I like about this game, is the fact that is uses GPS + two feet and a heartbeat, but also the whole random encounter aspect. This feels like an RPG of sorts, that you can be walking around and BOOM! Monster. The problem I will always have is the Pokemon themselves. Give me something cooler! I am a horror movie guy. Give me a game where I can hunt horror movie monsters, or demons or something. Other than that, I would say Pokemon Go, is solid enough.

Complete NA NES collection (minus Stadium Events)
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2016, 09:55:01 AM »

I'm sure something else will come out of this now that is like that. But since that isn't what Pokemon is (there are technically ones based on monsters and demons tho) don't expect anything creepy or gory from them.

Somewhat related:
My aunt immediately let me know she was playing Chardonnay Go!
Which means she downloaded it to be edgy and isn't actually doing anything other than being like
[img width=600 height=400]https://media.makeameme.org/created/im-hip-im-bq5fm7.jpg[/img]

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2016, 11:43:48 AM »

I meant to bring up Chardonnay Go.

JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2016, 02:32:48 PM »

Just got it today. And for the record, I'm 'old' with no kids...so are 4 of my friends that are playing.

On that Pokemon rarity chart...are you stuck with the Special Pokemon that you initially catch? Kinda like how you were stuck with Charmander if you got Red back in the day?
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2016, 02:50:03 PM »

Just got it today. And for the record, I'm 'old' with no kids...so are 4 of my friends that are playing.

On that Pokemon rarity chart...are you stuck with the Special Pokemon that you initially catch? Kinda like how you were stuck with Charmander if you got Red back in the day?

In terms of stuck, do you mean that you can't catch the others that appear at the start up?  If so, I can say that it is not the case.  I went with Charmander and have a Bulbasaur and Squirtle already.  My son caught the starting Pikachu using the skip trick last night.  Wow, words I thought would never come out of my mouth.......
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 03:03:16 PM by singlebanana » Logged

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length