RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2024, 11:09:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Odd Green And Purple Line Situation 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Odd Green And Purple Line Situation  (Read 5864 times)
Shepy
Atari 7800
United States

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 07:38:25 PM »

I'd guess the power adaptor as well.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 09:07:42 PM »

Just to clarify, Star Fox has an Super FX GSU-1 chip, while Kirby Super Star just has an SA1 chip, so I doubt it's due to that. However, Star Fox in particular has problems because of additional metal pins inside the cart to help ground it. I don't know if Kirby Super Star is the same.

But...yes, it's due to amperage. Extra chips WOULD likely increase it, but it doesn't mean the chips are always in use. Kirby Super Star puts high stress on the system, as does Star Fox. I have an extra AC adapter around the house if you need.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 09:10:33 PM »

I'll be curious to see the outcome. I would think that insufficient amperage would just cause a failure to boot, but perhaps the power may be just low enough to affect a video encoder. If you had a multimeter around we'd know pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 09:13:29 PM by Duke.Togo » Logged

NeoMagicWarrior
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2016, 09:16:46 PM »

I've seen similar issues caused by some of the extra pins not connecting correctly as well. I'd suspect the power supply first though.

mumboking
Do you feel the heartbeat of the land?
PlayStation
United Kingdom

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 10:59:08 PM »

Just to clarify, Star Fox has an Super FX GSU-1 chip, while Kirby Super Star just has an SA1 chip, so I doubt it's due to that. However, Star Fox in particular has problems because of additional metal pins inside the cart to help ground it. I don't know if Kirby Super Star is the same.
According to this, KSS does have extra contacts: http://www.snescentral.co...rds.php?chip=SHVC-1L3B-02
Or... were you referring to the little tab like on the rear of the bottom cartridge in this picture? KSS has one too.
[img width=512 height=272]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/48/SNES-SFAM-Cartridges.jpg/640px-SNES-SFAM-Cartridges.jpg[/img]

Finding pics of the contacts is surprisingly difficult...
KSS: http://otaku.com/files/images/fullsize/89375T.JPG
SF: http://techforums.nintend...2-92113-7284/S5030277.JPG
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:15:48 PM by mumboking » Logged
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 08:49:54 AM »

I was referring to the tab on the rear of the bottom cartridge.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2016, 05:22:48 PM »

why not just get a first party power adapter and forget about returning the cartridge? worse case scenario, you've got the same problem and now the proper adapter. returning the cartridge when there's a high chance it's not the problem is just going to force the seller to take a loss on the fees and shipping for no reason.
Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2016, 03:34:32 PM »

Well I just discovered the root of the problem.  Turns out it is the adapter.

However, high stress on the system doesn't sound good to me :/ Especially considering this is the very Super Nintendo me and my best friend from childhood played on when we were seven.  I keep it in good condition and I don't want any extra stress destroying the system :/  It's lasted for 21 years now only needing AV cable and AC adapter replacements when the cables stopped working.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2016, 06:11:03 PM »

Well I just discovered the root of the problem.  Turns out it is the adapter.

However, high stress on the system doesn't sound good to me :/ Especially considering this is the very Super Nintendo me and my best friend from childhood played on when we were seven.  I keep it in good condition and I don't want any extra stress destroying the system :/  It's lasted for 21 years now only needing AV cable and AC adapter replacements when the cables stopped working.

it's made to work with all the cartridges that were officially released, i can't imagine it breaking down solely due to a certain cartridge being run on it.
Atari6600
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2016, 06:17:34 PM »

True, just the phrase "high stress on the system" puts my semi-overactive imagination into play.  Like, I know there's nothing to worry about but it still pans out nightmarish images of the system breaking down from using StarFox or Super Star too much.  Silly to worry about, but I'm weird like that.

Regardless, I'm glad I got to the root of the problem.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 07:20:31 PM »

I wouldn't consider it stress, but simply more amps required. Carts with a co-processor will draw more power. This won't cause any problems using an original AC adapter, or a high quality replacement that delivers enough amps.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length