RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 01:16:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | NES Box #'s and variations 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NES Box #'s and variations  (Read 1390 times)
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« on: April 28, 2005, 05:19:06 PM »

I've been scanning a load of NES boxes recently, and came across some variations, other than the known product number variation such as NES-**-USA-1.  I attached a box scan to this post where I encircled the two other numbers on the box where I have come across variations.  The first number, above where I marked "1," is present on most boxes, and out of all of my duplicate boxes, I've only come across a single duplicate that has a variation.  The other number, below where I marked a "2" seems to be present on nearly all boxes that have a product #.  The number always varies between 1-8, and all of my duplicate boxes seem to have varying numbers there.   My question is:  does anybody know what these numbers represent?  Thanks in advance.

-Speedy

PS/Edit:  All of the boxes that I had scanned up to now have the product numbers printed in black (or white, if the background color is black) and the number above the "1" printed in gold (regardless of background color).  However, I just came across the first box that has this the other way around...the product number is printed in gold, and the number above the "1" is printed in black...pretty interesting Wink  the box is for Rad Racer btw Smiley
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 05:27:04 PM by Speedy_NES » Logged

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 05:33:58 PM »

To be 100% honest i fon't think there was much o any significance to these numbers.
If they are related to anything ti may be when or where they where produced.

NES has so many variations it spins my head. I had a pic up of 3 SMB/DuckHunt variations. 2 were pretty easy to notice but the other one was just a slight difference.

Nintendo just likes to screw with peoples minds.

Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 05:48:24 PM »

That's true....although I'm not hoping that these numbers have any significance to them, just curious as to what they identify.  I like to know as much as possible about this kinda stuff, especially when it comes to variations Wink

Nintendo definitely loves variations....especially with the intial NES release titles...although they each tell a story to put it that way Wink  I like to know all the details so I can better judge what is rare and what is not.  The main and usually only thing that most collectors are interested in is whether a game is factory sealed/cib/loose/etc, the condition that everything is in, and whether it is PAL or NTSC.  I also look for label variations, and ever since I finished scanning my manuals a couple days ago, I'm gonna keep an eye out for manual variations as well.  I don't care too much about box variations, but I guess if I come across a variation in the product number on the box and it's not too expensive, then I may get it just to document it (and changes in the product number on a box always means that something visible has been changed on the box, as minimal as it may be Wink).  I don't think I'll ever bother locating all the variations in the "unknown" numbers, since, like you said, they are likely very insignificant.

-Speedy
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 05:49:54 PM by Speedy_NES » Logged

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 05:57:49 AM »

Interesting..... I will have to check on my multitude of duplicate boxes I own and see what the difference is.

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 06:26:42 AM »

They could be numbers used in the production of the boxes.  I know a lot of times the printing is done on huge sheets and then cut into the pieces for individual boxes.  Your #2 (the one that's 1-8 ) may have something to do with that, they may print boxes eight on one big sheet and mark them so they can tell where there is a problem if they notice a quality issue.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 06:27:16 AM by bum-man » Logged

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 09:39:06 AM »

That makes a lot of sense, I was thinking along those lines as well.  Maybe the golden number is a batch number, or a factory number or something.  I've come across more duplicates now where that number varies.  Thanks for your input!

-Speedy
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 09:40:24 AM by Speedy_NES » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 10:51:38 AM »

If you think NES has a lot a variants look at Atari 2600 stuff. Combat has 15 different labels alone.

Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 10:29:06 AM »

For those interested, I came across a box unlike the common NES boxes.  As I'm sure most of you are aware, NES boxes were manufactured with the purpose of being opened at the top only.  I came across a box for Athletic World that not only can be opened from the top and the bottom, but it is also made out of much higher quality paper (clean white instead of recycled grey).  I'm guessing that this could be the version that came packed with the Family Fun Fitness (although I'm not sure if that version even came with the box).  I also have a box for Athletic World that is like the plain NES boxes, with only one opening & relatively cheap paper - and this one has a "-1" after the product number indicating that it was released after the "double-sided" version.  So I'm wondering, if anyone knows...what kind of box did Stadium Events come in?

-Speedy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length