RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 22, 2024, 12:35:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Nintendo DS Outsells Everything in Japan 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Nintendo DS Outsells Everything in Japan  (Read 1054 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« on: April 28, 2005, 03:37:51 PM »

This is only one week's sales, but in Japan, for the week of April 18th to 24th, the DS outsold everything else combined in the hardware category.

Japanese hardware sales for April 18 - April 24:

Platform - This week's sales

NDS: 96,191
PS2: 33,080
PSP: 33,004
GBASP: 10,820
NGC: 8,329
GBA: 422
XBX: 112

Or

DS: 96,191
Everything else: 85,767

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=4781

I also enjoyed how the Xbox barely made it over 100 units sold.  That's pretty damn pathetic.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 04:38:00 PM »

Seeing as X is a negative symbol in japan it doesn't really surprise me.
I am surprised that the PS2 was still the number 2 console however.
That says alot IMO.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 07:00:48 PM »

It helps that the pink and blue DSs came out last week, and there was the Naruto game, and there was the release of Nintendogs, which sold 186K for all combined versions, making it the fastest selling DS game yet. Guess girls actually buy games that they want. Nintendo may found an interesting thing about the not so average gamer with this release- they'll actually buy games if given the chance. Maybe the DS wasn't such a stupid idea after all. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to go draw lines in Polarium.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 07:01:26 PM by TraderJake » Logged

Hello World.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 07:19:10 PM »

I wouldn't be too quick to call Nintendogs a game only for less-than-average gamers.  Famitsu gave it the highly-coveted perfect 40/40 score.  I don't know much about it, but hearing that it got that score from them impresses me quite a bit.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 08:49:25 PM »

Who would have ever thought that? Not me. Still, things can change. The Saturn also initially outsold the Playstation. I just wonder how much money Sony will throw at it before they either give up or win.
Zimbacca
Sorry you must have been boring me.
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 08:56:30 PM »

Wow, the DS out sold everything combine.  That's impressive.

TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 10:21:08 AM »

I wouldn't be too quick to call Nintendogs a game only for less-than-average gamers.

I don't think I said it was only for the not-so-average gamer. More so, it appeals to the not-so-average gamer with something unique and interesting. Sure it may be a reincarnation of Tamagotchi, but they're soooooooo cute. I could play wih my little nintendog all day long while letting my real dog crap all over the house and starve to death. Nintendo just needs to start advertising with pastel colors and blacked out people and then sales would skyrocket! Couple that with a firmware upgrade that would allow the DS to span the interweb in its pictochat program, and one could see some interesting things happen.

Hello World.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length