RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 18, 2024, 04:17:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Let's talk about Resident Evil. 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Let's talk about Resident Evil.  (Read 2868 times)
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« on: January 11, 2015, 02:50:02 PM »

1996- I was 6 or 7 years old- my brother was 13. I clearly remember how blown away we all were with the game. And for a long time, maybe until Halo came out, that, along with RE2 and 3, was kind of the pinnacle of gaming for me, in terms of graphics, entertainment, etc.

Very different times back then for video games. The whole ink ribbon thing with the type writers is something that I believe has gone by the wayside. I am not aware of any recent games that employed a similar save system.

Well anyways, almost 20 years later, I think the original still holds up really well, and I like it more than RE2 just for its simplicity. It's a shame that they ditched the original style in favor of a more mainstream style of gameplay.

I don't know how to make a poll here, but show of hands who is in favor of the RE4 and newer style over the old?

Boshamp
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 03:14:24 PM »

I liked RE4 the most of all of them, but I cannot make a choice for which control style I enjoy more, both have pros and cons that are equally as enticing as they are offputting, but RE4 polished everything very nicely for me.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 03:37:26 PM »

I've always had a problem with the can't move and shoot...

I am looking forward to the HD remake of the original tho so i can have the poop scared out of me when those dogs jump through the window.

Hopefully the remake adopts a more modern control scheme. (Shoot and move)

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 05:09:35 PM »

The remake has been confirmed to have the modern controls.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 05:35:01 PM »

I'm on board with you for this one. I greatly prefer the older style RE games to RE4 onwards. RE 2 is my favorite in the series.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 05:40:24 PM »

I've always been more of a Silent Hill guy myself. If I had a PS4 I would definitely have played through PT. From what I've seen from it the new Silent Hill should be amazing!

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 05:56:20 PM »

I've always been more of a Silent Hill guy myself. If I had a PS4 I would definitely have played through PT. From what I've seen from it the new Silent Hill should be amazing!

This.  Ever since I received the March '99 copy of OPM I've been firmly in the court of SE.  I like RE as well, but for different reasons (all of them being cerebral).  And I have to side with Crabby on the RE preference.  Part 2 is just such a jump from part 1.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:09:51 PM by bombatomba » Logged

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
h1ghw1nd
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 10:36:50 AM »

I prefer the older ones, 2 being my favorite. I really liked 6 though. The atmosphere was amazing in that game, especially as Leon.
Disposed Hero
Blog Editor
United States
Awards: 2013 RFGeneration KING OF RAGE

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 10:52:59 AM »

I'm also a longtime fan of the classic RE series, with the remake on the GameCube being my favorite of the bunch.  I like and appreciate the newer games for what they are, but to me the Resident Evil series will always be divided between the 'classic' series and 'modern' series. 

That being said, while I do think the control scheme introduced in RE 4 was extremely well done and had a big impact on the action game genre, I still really love the tank controls of the classic games.  I know many people don't like them for being too clunky or whatever, and I don't blame them for feeling that way, but once you get the hang of them they work really well.  Personally I feel like tank controls were the best option for the pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed camera angles of the classic games.

Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 11:54:05 AM »

I hated the original one. The controls were so incredibly clumsy. Just like the camera. Silent Hill was vastly superior in every way.

Recently I bought Resident Evil 5 on Steam. It's alright, but the controls are still clumsy.
Nathan Dunsmore
N-Gage

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 03:14:52 AM »

RE 4 was one of my favorite experiences on the Gamecube and the last time I spent playing a game 2+ hours at a time (this was way back in 2010). Now I'm playing through Code Veronica X on the Gamecube. It's funny, for years I tried getting into RE2 on the N64 and CV on the Dreamcast but to no avail. Then I tested out the Gamecube version after I bought recently it and it took. Just started disc two tonight actually.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 06:03:59 AM »

Resident Evil 2 has been my favourite so far.

russlyman
Blog Writer
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 10:33:48 AM »

Resident Evil on playsation I played at a friends house. It was the scariest game I every played. The dogs jumping out the window scared the hell out of me. I was hooked after that. I did enjoy 2 a lot, and can't remember too much of 3.

When I heard about Resident Evil 4 coming out for the GameCube I was so excited. Being a young kid and not knowing better, I did the unthinkable......
I went to GameStop

Not only did I do that but I brought trades with me......  :0(

So I traded in my model one Sega CD and all the games, including Lunar, Popful Mail, Vay, and countless other awesome games, as well as my Sega 32X stuff. I got a whopping $50 I think
So I was able to get the Steel Book edition.

I was super excited back than to play it. It sure was a great game. Countless hours spent playing it. I loved the better controls and the new story. It still has to be my favorite Resident Evil game.

I got wind of the 5th installment coming out on Playstation 3. I do not own a PS3 (still to this day, I'm working on that though) so I did the next best thing. I told my friend if you bought the game and brought it over my house I will pay for half of the game.

So he came over every few days with his playstation 3 and RE5 and we played though it. It was a fun Run and Gun game but kinda lost the roots of what RE use to be.

For fun me and my Friend AJ made a spoof of a Geico Commercial and we play RE5 in it. check it out

I never got the chance to play RE6 but all I have heard is people complain about all the quick time events, who knows.

I just recently finished playing RE Revalations on the 3Ds, and I thought that was fantastic. I had a great time with it. I did  not see a point in going to buy the one for WiiU but once the sequel comes out I will get that if its on WiiU

Now your playing with power!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length