RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 23, 2024, 01:51:27 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | so sad how disposable/boring media has become in the last 15 years 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: so sad how disposable/boring media has become in the last 15 years  (Read 1241 times)
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« on: January 05, 2015, 11:42:40 AM »

95% of video games sold today are the same shape and size. You almost can't tell the difference between them outside of the color on the top of the box. For me, there is zero collectability for Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PS4, Xbox One. Blu Rays all look the same now too- don't get me started on movie posters.

A video game twenty years ago was a unique thing- there wasn't much else out there that looked like a SNES cartridge or a 32x. I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a PS4 and an Xbox One if they weren't labeled.

I will never understand "the new way" and I am very interested to see if there is anyone out there who is a "hardcore" PS3 and Xbox 360 collector, or if there will be in 10-15 years.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 11:47:27 AM »

There are many hardcore x360 collectors here, but just about all of them are also Gamerscore hunters, so they pick up the games for the score and gameplay rather than for collection purposes for the most part.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 11:48:01 AM »

a uniform look has no effect on collectability to me...stamp collectors exist when most stamps are all the exact same shape and size. i'd much rather have that than the impossible to collect a complete set days of the 1st gen consoles, with all their crazy variants.
monkees19
Donor
United States
Awards: 2015 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 12:10:25 PM »

Hard to say whether there will be tons of people who would really call themselves a collector of them. I have more 360 and Wii games than anything but that is more attributed to ease of access. I can run to a Gamestop and pick up 10 360 games for $50 if I look hard enough, whereas is if I want 10 SNES games I can reasonably expect to pay $200 because I have to turn to eBay or a Play N Trade, which is getting harder to find. Geographically, it might hurt me that there aren't many of the places I see here like Value Village or Savers in the entire state or even a bordering state. Here in NJ, we have maybe half a dozen PnTs and some thrifts/pawn shops but a thousand Gamestops.

I think 10 years from now people will have more PS3 etc games than others simply because it has become more, and I hate this word, "mainstream" to play games. 20 years ago when I was a kid, it was more of a niche hobby and 20 years before that forget it. But to think people would call themselves a PS3 "collector" seems crazy, but likely.

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »

Hard to say whether there will be tons of people who would really call themselves a collector of them. I have more 360 and Wii games than anything but that is more attributed to ease of access. I can run to a Gamestop and pick up 10 360 games for $50 if I look hard enough, whereas is if I want 10 SNES games I can reasonably expect to pay $200 because I have to turn to eBay or a Play N Trade, which is getting harder to find. Geographically, it might hurt me that there aren't many of the places I see here like Value Village or Savers in the entire state or even a bordering state. Here in NJ, we have maybe half a dozen PnTs and some thrifts/pawn shops but a thousand Gamestops.

I think 10 years from now people will have more PS3 etc games than others simply because it has become more, and I hate this word, "mainstream" to play games. 20 years ago when I was a kid, it was more of a niche hobby and 20 years before that forget it. But to think people would call themselves a PS3 "collector" seems crazy, but likely.

agreed with everything you said. as far as price- there's a myriad of reasons why X game costs a certain amount, but I wonder if the reason that old games tend to be pricier than new is because people are retaining them more and thus the amount that are being sold/traded is lower, or because they produced less of them? I know that they sold a million copies of Super Mario Kart, but you could go to any store or garage sale in my city with a population of 65,000+ and you won't see a single copy for sale. But I really can't imagine they produced a ton more copies of Mass Effect (an equally good game) that the price for Mass Effect would be THAT much lower. I'd be very curious to see production numbers for that game- I know it's one of the best selling games of the last 7 or 8 years.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length