RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 17, 2024, 04:25:11 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | why don't they use real currency in video games? 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: why don't they use real currency in video games?  (Read 4057 times)
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« on: January 01, 2015, 09:17:42 PM »

It wouldn't be that hard for them to use $ or dollar when they localize the games they bring over from Japan. It just takes me right out of the game when they have to use the term "credits" like in the case for Gran Turismo. I like the idea of earning virtual American dollars.

I have a couple theories as to why they don't, and I'd like to hear other theories as well. I think part of it may be fear on the developers part to price a virtual car at $X when the car actually sells for $Y in real life- maybe there is an agreement with the car manufacturers not to advertise the price of the cars at a certain price in the game.

But in a game like Animal Crossing, why use "bells"? If they used dollars, I am trying to figure out how the developers imagined it could be harmful. There aren't any real life objects in the game outside of the Nintendo cartridges and NES consoles- only generic things.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 09:42:55 PM »

Rupees are real.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 10:08:22 PM »

There isn't really a benefit to using a real currency.

There are plenty of games that use USD instead of something fictitious or a foreign/unlocalized currency but i don't see a benefit to having dollars vs bells vs yen vs dinari vs bucks vs gold vs silver vs coins vs rings vs tokens vs rupees vs credits vs etc

I guess the argument against using "real" currency would be it can immerse you into a different universe.

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 10:12:14 PM »

the benefit is that I identify more with the dollar than I do with the bell or coin

Fokakis79
Donor

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 05:20:15 AM »

I tend to pay all my bills in bells, despite being the crazy looks I get Smiley

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 05:38:52 AM »

[img width=639 height=360]http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100930210914/theregularshow/images/9/90/Popslollipops.JPG[/img]

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 05:42:19 AM »

Man, if I could grind gil to satisfy my mortgage company...

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 11:30:22 AM »

Guaranteed trip to the psych ward.
Just run around cutting down all your neighbors bushes.

Vectorguy
Jaguar CD
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 02:06:59 PM »

Probably because it's against the law in some countries to have copies of real currency reproduced somewhere.  The Christian metal band Stryper had to change their In God We Trust cover a little because it had a bill on there, so they just altered the color tint a little (if I remember correctly).  Now the cover's out of date due to changes in our currency since, but here in the States we don't change our currency very often though, but obviously back then it was an issue (and I assume still is).

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 03:18:42 PM »

That's part of it. Socially, associating real currency with virtual items gives them a real cost. If virtual currency is used to purchase virtual goods, it's more likely that the player will use it.

Also, it's easier to bait a person into buying by giving them virtual currency. You can't bait them with real money, as no one's crazy enough to give real money away in-game.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 05:22:49 PM »

Did someone mention Stryper!!! Awesome!!!

They do use real currency. Its called Micro Transactions and they are dirty....

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Vectorguy
Jaguar CD
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 06:30:15 PM »

Did someone mention Stryper!!! Awesome!!!

I've got a picture disc single of "Reason for the Season"/"Walking in a Winter Wonderland" too Smiley

gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 06:50:04 PM »

I like that Symphony of the Night uses real money. It's kind of surprising how much "real life" stuff they have in that game actually. They use the name Dracula Vlad Tepes for example. There is a surprising amount of Christian imagery in the game as well. I am so used to the censorship practiced by Nintendo.

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 11:05:08 AM »

When creating fantasy or sci-fi worlds, a common tactic for pushing the idea this isn't the world you live in is giving new names for everyday things. I've always figured this is why you don't find dollars in Legend of Zelda but Rupees instead. The different name for the currency of that world helps to convince you this is it's own world with it's own ideas and devices.

There is is the other bonus that in games where you are purchasing items with a real life counterpart, such as cars in Gran Turismo, the game designer has the option of changing prices to help gameplay. If the game is more 'gamey' to have one item much more expensive than another compared to real life, the designer can do this without you calling him out on his prices. I wonder too, if in the Gran Turismo example, real life manufacturers want prices listed for their items in a game.

OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 03:35:01 PM »

GTA always used cash.  Lots of gamers work towards a million, which is significant in life or the game.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 05:06:10 PM by OatBob » Logged

it's thinking
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length